Anyone heard of "MotorKote" wear protector?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone heard of "MotorKote" wear protector??

Saw this stuff at a truckstop in KY today...got a brochure and went to their web site www.motorkote.com....this stuff was priced in the t/s at $99.99 a gal.....I ran into a guy about a year ago with an F350 that said he was using a high-priced oil additive and he swore by it...he had over 350K on his PSD....I believe his was "Energy Release" but I could never find a dealer in NC so I dropped the attempt....this web site has a PSD section so I'm curious to see if anyone has tried, or knows about this product...BTW they are out of Charlotte, Michigan... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]bd
2002 E-350 ext. cargo..4" DP+exhaust/gauges/ CCV mod/ AIH delete/TT mirrors wC-btr's/Racor prepump/ITP regulated return w/fuel bowl delete/tank mods/203*/timbrens/bilstein/Hella/ DP tuned/BTS trans/ alum baja wheels/cryo rotors..T-intake...335hp 385k

04 VW TDI/PD JSW..RC2, FO6 cam,17 turbo
TT, Koni's,Euro HID's,tint,
cat 2 mic f/filter,CCV/muffler/fuel filler mods,skidplate..
sixiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2003, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Anyone heard of "MotorKote" wear protector??

I thought this article on oils from the same site was very informative. For those using Amsoil products you may want to take a look.

http://www.motorkote.com/analysis101.html
2004 Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD 4x4 in Oxford White. Order date 1/16/2004, Build Date 2/9/04, Ship Date 2/10/04 Delivered 2/17/04. All options accept DVD & Chrome Running Boards. Accessories already purchased include Turbo Diesel Badges, Mud Guards, 4x4 Lighted Hitch Plug, Euro Style Rubber Antenna, Pet Partition, Adjustable Tire Step, Husky Mats & Cargo Liners, Tri-Ball Adjustable Drawbar, Diablo Predator, PIAA Silicon Wipers, AFE with Pro-Guard 7, Stanadyne Performance Diesel Formula.
2005 Arctic Fox 32D RV Travel Trailer
2004 Hensley Arrow Hitch
04 BrakeSmart Controller.
camperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've seen that same test, with the piece of metal against the bearing, on a half hour TV infomercial. I think the stuff was called DuraLube on there.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I've heard of the test before too, used in tests of different products...

But I think the premise is slightly skewed and a little too simplistic. Lubricity is important, but is not the only measureable characteristic of good oil. Synthetics still pour better in cold weather and can handle higher heat extremes. And the main reason synthetics (true synthetics) cost more than dino is that they're made from more expensive components, like additives and other things I'm not familiar enough with to explain intelligently. That doesn't mean you "need" them, but they are still better... The survey also doesn't seem all that objective by the time you get to the end, where they're finally coming around to advertising the "one" additive that "does work."
2001 E350 PSD, Deep Emerald Green, 3.55 LS, Premium package, dual alts, rear A/C. Quigley 4x4, Transfer Flow rear tank (27+26), handicap mods, custom interior, Reunel tire carrier w/ Hi-Lift, Sportsmobile nerf bars (black), Amsoil lubes and Dual-Gard bypass oil filter, Amsoil air filters, Eclipse/JL Audio sound system w/ Sirius & 120GB Neo Car Jukebox (MP3 player), J&J stainless grill, Reunel Stainless bumper, 12000# Warn winch, PIAA lights, Bilstein shocks, Ultra Magnum wheels, Michelin tires (265/75-16), Correctrack rear wheel spacers, Bushwhacker flares (painted), Velvet-Ride spring shackles, p/s filter, external tranny and coolant filters, Autometer gauges(5), Optima Yellow Tops, Airdog.
msnunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

A few years back in 96 or 97 Consumer Reports ran significant motor oil tests with various dino and synthetic brands in New York taxi cabs over an extended period of time.

As I recall they changed the oil in some at 3000 mile intervals and others at 6000 mile intervals using synthetic in some and dino oil in others.

At the end of the testing they tore down the engines to check for visible wear and tear.

As I remember they could not find any significant wear differences between the dino or synthetic oils. Regular maintenance was key to reducing wear on the engine regardless of what oil type you were using.

If anyone has past editions of Consumer Reports I believe it was in the July 96 or Oct 97 edition.
2004 Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0 PSD 4x4 in Oxford White. Order date 1/16/2004, Build Date 2/9/04, Ship Date 2/10/04 Delivered 2/17/04. All options accept DVD & Chrome Running Boards. Accessories already purchased include Turbo Diesel Badges, Mud Guards, 4x4 Lighted Hitch Plug, Euro Style Rubber Antenna, Pet Partition, Adjustable Tire Step, Husky Mats & Cargo Liners, Tri-Ball Adjustable Drawbar, Diablo Predator, PIAA Silicon Wipers, AFE with Pro-Guard 7, Stanadyne Performance Diesel Formula.
2005 Arctic Fox 32D RV Travel Trailer
2004 Hensley Arrow Hitch
04 BrakeSmart Controller.
camperman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2003, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

In general snake oil additives are a scam.
This site has good info on oil in general:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

You be the judge!
1995 F250 4X4 PSD, Custom chip from Diesel Power , Autometer trans & Pyro gauges, shimmed reg, Oil By-Pass Filter, Tymar Intake & HX Mod, Gutted EBPV, Hypermax DP (ceramic coated), 4" Stainless exhaust , E40d Trans (Re-built & upgraded by me, Tech support provided by BTS), Tru-Cool 4590, 4.10LS gears, Tuff Country leveling Kit, GoodYear MT/R's, pulling my 28ft Hunting Cabin[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img].
Badger State Bourbonnais

<font color="red">BUY AMERICAN, OUR JOBS DEPEND ON IT</font>

Wis_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I own a small trucking co. and have been using motorkote in all my trucks for 6 years. Three of my n-14s have over 1 mil. miles on them and the rods & maines were replaced at 900 thousand miles.
I had a driver climbing westbound out of Albuquerque in the summer when he lost his turbo. In all of his wisdom the driver decided to restart the engine at which time the engine started to use the oil as fuel and the engine did not stop running till all the oil was depleted. Long story short the only damage to the engine was a new turbo and charge air cooler this was two years ago the engine is fine. I swear by MotorKote!!!!
It is also cheaper to run than lucas. 30$ per every four oilchanges. I also run it in the Trans.,Diffs.,and Steering.
adamikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Do your research! My opinion is about 80% of these so called products are nothing more than scams & marketing gimmicks and don't have any real world positive impact on your rig. (at least not for the amount of $$ that will be spent for said product)
As far as the guy with 350k miles on his 7.3, I hope he's not swearing that it was the "additive" that caused it to reach that number. The 7.3 should have no issues doing 600,000+ plus.
I personally know some who are nearing 800,000. Yes have replaced stuff along the way, but the internal parts haven't been touched.

my $.02 worth.
y2k F250 7.3 psd Calif emissions, ext cab long bed 265/75/R16 E rated tires, 190k miles 4x4 (nv271 manual t-case) 7.3 #1247981 1/18/00 (forged rods), 3.73LSD, non-diode 4R100, Dp tuner stock, 60t 60e 80t 80e, high idle. DIY 6637 air filter, wicked wheel, turbo master WG controller, turbo lifesaver, bellowed uppies, 4" downpipe & exhaust, 203t-stat, triple pod glowshift gauges (egt, tranny, boost), Ride-rite 2330 air bags, BTS VB, Sports a Western plow when the white stuff flies.

Trailers:
I'm usually towing 1 of several trailers I've built.
15ft car hauler (1000lbs empty; 5500lbs loaded)
26ft deck over car hauler (2000lbs empty; 7k loaded)
36ft car hauler (Was tongue pull; have since converted into 5er'. 4500lbs empty; 14k loaded)
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-g...0/IMG_4130.JPG
knoweigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.