Best thing to plug Resonator hole in intake with??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best thing to plug Resonator hole in intake with???

My resonator is about worn through from banging on the top of the fuel bowl and I want to plug that port off. It looks like maybe a 2 1/2" port. Is there something people have used around here to plug those off with?

thanks!
GMC Suburban 6.2 Detroit --- SLOOOW!!!
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got a threaded 2" PVC cap and rammed that in there (threaded b/c it has a shoulder on it). It has ~ 2.5" od, but it is a little tight. You might want to go the Blaguert route and use a piece of 2" PVC and put a cap on the end of it.
On a side note, I was a little surprised at how much the resonator apparently does. Time will tell if I put it back in, will depend on the drone on the fwy at speed. I road trip in this thing, and I've gone to some trouble to reduce NVH.
Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Autometer Phantom Boost, Transmission Temp, and EGT gauges
Powertrax autolocking rear diff.
Scangauge II xgauge
Dahl 75 Pre-pump fuel filter/water separator
Modified Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete and regulated return + post pump filtration.
Tow Mirrors
Spahl power remote door locks
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control
Sealed Beam to HID Headlight Conversion

Personal blog http://505live.com
505live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd patch the hole in the resonator with epoxy or RTV... I tried the pvc cap in the intake for about a week before I got sick of the noise. Its like the intake drone fights the exhaust drone and they resonate and echo inside the body of the van.
'06 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T, for my doppelganger, 72k miles
dieseldude73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldude73 View Post
I'd patch the hole in the resonator with epoxy or RTV... I tried the pvc cap in the intake for about a week before I got sick of the noise. Its like the intake drone fights the exhaust drone and they resonate and echo inside the body of the van.
I never really notice much of the intake drone on mine surprisingly. But the engine is so loud in my van maybe it's drowning out the intake. I can hear the turbo whistle if I really hit it going up hill. But I like that sound! I usually stay out of it though. That's just wasted Diesel fuel whistling.
GMC Suburban 6.2 Detroit --- SLOOOW!!!
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (80)
Does anyone have some photos of the Mods you did to it?

When I open the Doghouse next time I will take some photos
of how I insulated the Turbo with the Thermo-Tec Turbo Wrap

And as most of you know I wrapped my exhaust system complete from the turbo to the Tip, and even the Round Magnaflow Muffler with the 2" Heat Tape Wrap, Natural color.

It completely removed any and all drone in the system. It's amazing how quiet it is inside now.

It took 2 - 50' Foot boxes of the 2" I believe, I think I used 3 Boxes but I cannot remember, and 2 boxes of the Stainless band clamps, you cut the strap to your length and slide these connectors on them, great system.

After 7 Years of the Wrap on the exhaust, no problems at all. The wrap kinda repels the water off of it.

My van also has 2-3 layers of DynaMat on the inside, and DynaLiner, DynaPad. If you remove the two front door Panels you can install the 1/2" thick DynaLiner Black Foam and it will self-stick to the door panel you remove, then screw it back on the door. It will stick out 1/2" more but you don't really notice it very much and the road noise goes down so much. I also installed the Extreme Mat on the Inside door skins, but just doing the 1/2" DynaLiner to the door panels is the most bang for the buck. If you want to go more do the inside door skins. The Inside Doghouse has the extra 1/2" Silver sided Dynamat Under Hood Kit installed, it also helped a bit.

The exhaust heat tape wrap is so good, you can touch the wrap while the exhaust is hot, I only touched it near the tail pipe though. I'm sure at the downpipe it's much hotter.
2000 E350-Super Duty-ExplorerExt. Mobile LivingRoom-7.3LPSD-3:55LS-Dual Green Air Filters-AutoMeter Phantom Guages-Pyro(Pre)-Boost-Tranny+Hobbs Hour Meter-C2 Pyro(Post) WaterTemp - 4"SS MagnaFlow Wrapped w/ Thermo-Tec 2" Header Tape-SonnaxValve+Tricumulator Shift Springs-Mag-Hytec Tranny+Rear End Cover-1 UpFront Spring Option-Bilstein's-Centramatic's-35 Gallon MainTank+TraxII TransferFlow 27 Gallon Aft.Aux.Tank=62 Gallon Range-ACPM/AIC-DualBattery+Alt-450 FilterMAGx2-Fumoto-ALL Amsoil-Alcoa Classics-Explorer Conversion Installed DynaMat Complete Interior - 4 Leather Captain Chairs/BackSeat/Bed-Hellwig Sway Front/Rear-H3RCleanAgentHalotron2.5#
van_350sd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used a 2" pvc street female adapter and a 2" threaded plug rtv'd into the adapter. made the installation stick out only a couple of inches from the intake tube. 2" pvc has an external diameter of 2 3/8" clamps in nicely. if you used ABS pipe instead it would probably look cleaner tho.
4" Diamond eye turbo back straight pipe
4-5" Bully Dog SS elbow exhaust tip
Bean's Stage 1 injectors
TS 6 position chip
Bean's custom tunes
Modded IDM module
Mods in progress:
battery relocation to rear drivers side
belly toolbox
Reese hitch
Follow my progress: http://goshen-adventures.blogspot.com/
goshen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

I also wrapped the exhaust system, did the up pipes from the manifolds too. It really brings down the noise and heat in the cab, best part is, I can still hear the turbo too (thats really the only thing I wanna hear)!
'06 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T, for my doppelganger, 72k miles
dieseldude73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (80)
So did you use the Schedule 40?

I believe it's rated at 140 F, or something like that.
How many inches long is the pipe?

Anyone have pics of this mod?
2000 E350-Super Duty-ExplorerExt. Mobile LivingRoom-7.3LPSD-3:55LS-Dual Green Air Filters-AutoMeter Phantom Guages-Pyro(Pre)-Boost-Tranny+Hobbs Hour Meter-C2 Pyro(Post) WaterTemp - 4"SS MagnaFlow Wrapped w/ Thermo-Tec 2" Header Tape-SonnaxValve+Tricumulator Shift Springs-Mag-Hytec Tranny+Rear End Cover-1 UpFront Spring Option-Bilstein's-Centramatic's-35 Gallon MainTank+TraxII TransferFlow 27 Gallon Aft.Aux.Tank=62 Gallon Range-ACPM/AIC-DualBattery+Alt-450 FilterMAGx2-Fumoto-ALL Amsoil-Alcoa Classics-Explorer Conversion Installed DynaMat Complete Interior - 4 Leather Captain Chairs/BackSeat/Bed-Hellwig Sway Front/Rear-H3RCleanAgentHalotron2.5#
van_350sd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im pretty sure I just used a pvc cap. If I can find the stock tube, I will take a pic.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

yeah sorry, 2" sch 40 pvc pipe has a 2 3/8" outside diameter. sch 80 has the same outside diameter. 80 has a smaller internal diameter, they both can use the same fittings.

If you use the cap with an adapter or the cap by itself, make sure you seal the threads with silicone, but not so much that any gets into the intake.
Bean's Stage 1 injectors
TS 6 position chip
Bean's custom tunes
Modded IDM module
Mods in progress:
belly toolbox
Reese hitch
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
I like to seal threaded connections I might want to remove again with Rector Seal #5. It's fuel-safe including diesel.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

The intake resonator is easily bypassed with a chew can. Call me a redneck for knowing this, but the one i used fit just right and it was hard plastic. I put a clamp on it for good measure and it sealed well...but in a pinch a Mt Dew can fits too.
I found the ride a bit noisey, so i put the resonator back on.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

if you use the soda can don't drink it first! If it's unopened you can clamp harder on it...
Bean's Stage 1 injectors
TS 6 position chip
Bean's custom tunes
Modded IDM module
Mods in progress:
belly toolbox
Reese hitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.