Cargo van to passenger van convert, how difficult. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2001, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cargo van to passenger van convert, how difficult.

I am so fussy about what I want, that it is looking impossible to find.

What I want (or will want in a year or two) is a 93 or 94 (affordable) non-extended, standard height roof, diesel E series passenger van.

Custom vans are no good as the roofs are normally raised making them too high.

Extended passenger vans are too long.

I am wondering whether it might just be cheaper and easier to buy a 93 or 94 diesel cargo van, and install the seats and windows myself.

I don't need eleven seats, I was thinking more along the line of seven or eight with a lot of luggage space.

So, how difficult is going to be to fit passenger van seats and seat belts in a cargo van?
christi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2001, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cargo van to passenger van convert, how difficult.

the seat anchors are pretty much a surface mount setup, but you will need to add plates under the floor to re-enforce for the bolts and seat belts.
I dont know where you can go for stuff in Essex England, but suitable windows and even seats can be had in J.C.Whitney and many RV shops.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2001, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't even know E-vans were exported to Europe! Wow, that's something. Must be considered a huge vehicle there in England. I would say, take what you can find. You will most likey find a shorty cargo van, because the places that buy diesel passenger vans ALMOST ALWAYS buy extended. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2001, 05:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Exactly, if I want short wheel base, I have to buy a cargo van and convert it myself. That was kind of my conclusion too.

The E-series was / is sold only in certain (non EU) Scandinavian countries in Europe. Still, Norway is only a drives day away.

Personal importation into the UK is easy.

No the E-series was never sold in the UK, and right hand drive is not available.

I am actually dreaming a bit, but thinking about importing a cargo van from the US. It is quite common to import vehicles from the US to the UK.
christi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2001, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Diesel vans are hard to find anyway. I get the impression you are looking for a '93-'94 due to costs. If so, be wary of any pre-1995 vans. The E4OD tranny has some problems (cracking throttle bodies among other things) that were supposedly fixed by that time. Earlier years are OK, just make sure there is a reputable history of having the tranny rebuilt in 1994+. Stay away from non-turbo versions - lack of power.

The seats are a little tricky and require some fabrication. I can't say how easy adding factory seats would be, but I've added some Aerostar seats to my PSD cargo van. The chairs aren't too bad, but require support plates or large fender washers under the floor to prevent the metal from tearing in an accident. The hardest part was mounting the seat belts securely to the columns. With a little welding and grinding, it's not too bad. Not bolt-in either.

Kerry
klembry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.