Changing The Fuel Filter on a 2000 7.3L Van - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (80)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing The Fuel Filter on a 2000 7.3L Van

Changing The Fuel Filter on a 2000 7.3L Van

That is the question.

Where is it and what is the best way to get at it.

I would love to have the ITP regulated return w/fuel bowl delete option, but I don't know who would be able to do it for me.

Thanks Gents
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
On yours it is behind the HPOP. Its alot easier to get to than mine . . . anyway You have to remove the Air filter assembly and maybe the intake hose I'm not sure. YOu might have to remove the Doghouse . If you have one of those stupid resonators you might have to remove it as well. Its that big square piece of crap that connects to the Intake tube. ( I took mine off and put it on the Museum shelf) replaced it with a 2" ABS cap you could also use PVC. Unscrew the lid , open the water drain re and re the filter Tighten the lid and re-assemble. Don't forget to close the water drain lever . Start and check for leaks . . . I'm sure one of the guys with your model will correct me If I'm wrong. Good luck.
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
The previous post is pretty much on target. I have a 2000 E350 PSD. I have to removed the air cleaner assembly and hose and also have to remove the interior engine cover to get to one of the clamps for the hose from the turbo. From the front of the vehicle, this will let you slide the intake air assembly up and slightly to the passenger side to allow clearance for the filter to come out. Be sure and wet the new o-rings with fuel or a lubricant and also make sure that the wedge on the cap gasket faces the correct direction. It's a little tedious but isn't as bad as it looks when you first try to figure out how to get at the darned thing!

The aggravating thing is that it takes about 2 minutes to change the filter in an F Super Duty!
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whjco View Post
The previous post is pretty much on target. I have a 2000 E350 PSD. I have to removed the air cleaner assembly and hose and also have to remove the interior engine cover to get to one of the clamps for the hose from the turbo. From the front of the vehicle, this will let you slide the intake air assembly up and slightly to the passenger side to allow clearance for the filter to come out. Be sure and wet the new o-rings with fuel or a lubricant and also make sure that the wedge on the cap gasket faces the correct direction. It's a little tedious but isn't as bad as it looks when you first try to figure out how to get at the darned thing!

The aggravating thing is that it takes about 2 minutes to change the filter in an F Super Duty!
Hmmm ... I think my 2001 should be like your 2000 and I have to remove the air filter box and the doghouse to get to the resonator box which has to be taken off and moved back. I don't have to unclamp the intake hose, I just use a piece of string and tie it off so I move the rubber intake track over to the "driver's" side of the engine compartment so getting to the filter is easier and that rubber intake track doesn't get in the way. Some loosen the main engine connector so it's a little easier, but while tight I can get my filter out w/o doing that.

Larry
Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Hay Larry Good to see your still around.
Thought we lost you.
Glad to see your post.
2003, E-350, XLT, Chateau, 7-Pass. Club Wagan, 7.3L PSD, 3:55 LS Rear, SuperChips, Wix Air Filter, Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass Oil filter, Sirius Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SuperCrewzer, AutoMeter (Pyro. Trans. Boost)Gauges, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, Sonnax valve & Tricululator springs, PML Alum. Tran's Oil Pan, Tru-Cool 4739 Tran's Cooler, ScanGuage Monitor, DAHL 100 Fuel Filter, "Last of the 7.3's".
USMC-(Ret).

You Can't Always Get What You Want, But If You Try Some Times You Just Might Find, YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.
anash13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Larry,

Do you have any photos of the re-located fuel filter assembly?

Moving it to an easier location sounds like a good idea.

Would installing a bypass filter before the "hard to get at" original filter a good idea? Or would it restrict the flow?

And does anyone know how much Tranny fluid is needed in the 4r100 ? Total quarts, like if you do a new change?

Thanks Larry and All the Folks,
Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Buy a pail of Mercon V ( 5 gal) , that way you will have a couple of litres extra. Capacity is like 18 litres depending if you have a deep trans pan or a really big trans cooler.
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_350sd View Post
Larry,

Do you have any photos of the re-located fuel filter assembly?

No and I didn't re-locate my fuel filter assembly. I do have a pre pump Dahl filter mounted under the vehicle on the driver's side.

Moving it to an easier location sounds like a good idea.

Would installing a bypass filter before the "hard to get at" original filter a good idea? Or would it restrict the flow?

The Dahl mentioned above is not a bypass, but inline so all fuel goes thru it. You can see pics in the following album CLICKY. This setup actually addresses the potential for water and makes it really not necessary to drain the main filter and my Dahl filter can easiler go 50K miles and don't plan on replacing my factory filter but every 50K too. The Dahl adds almost no additional restriction and I monitor both air filter and pre pump fuel restrictions with gauges which you can see in the following album CLICKY.

And does anyone know how much Tranny fluid is needed in the 4r100 ? Total quarts, like if you do a new change?

It holds right around 18qts and using the FAQ method one should buy 20qts.

Thanks Larry and All the Folks,

See my replies in red in the quote above.

Larry

Last edited by LarryM; 03-23-2008 at 07:52 AM.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks blageurt & Larry,

It's nice to know all the stats on my van. I'M typing up a paper with all the info about my van to keep in the visor, so any service person can look at it to know what kind of fluids I use, and what the caps are.

I have the mag-Hytec tranny pan and rear end cover,

One of the best things I did was I installed the 2" Thermo-Tec Header Wrap 2" Tape on the entire 4" SS Magnaflow Exhaust and it cut the interior sound noise/drone in 1/2.
Other people have done this also on the van, and I can't believe how quiet it is inside now. It used 3 boxes with some left over. They wrapped the muffler also. Downpipe to the polished tip.

I also need to have the cooling system flushed out and a new filter system for the cooling. Does anyone know mhow much and what kind of fluid to use for a complete change-over? My 2000 E350 Superduty has the green colored fluid, not the gold.

Any help would be kind.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.