The Diesel Stop banner

Cold Air Intake With Hood Scoop

31K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  bikeguy 
#1 ·
Check out my album and let me know what you think. My stock airbox was total junk. It would not seal above the filters and I kept getting fine dirt in my intake. I also did the CCV mod at the same time. The only good thing about the stock CCV setup is that the oil was trapping some of the dirt that made it past the airbox. Luckily, my turbo looks o.k. Before I had the box made and installed the hood scoop, the filter was just in the engine compartment. Before and after driving has shown much cooler EGT's with the cold air, as expected. Without an intercooler, we need all the help we can get. Total materials was around $150. WRX type hood scoops are all over ebay, this one was $28 shipped. I plan on cleaning up the airsensor and "bungie" mounting, but this works for now.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
According to my SGII the temp of the air (when moving) is very close to ambient temps. The only benefit I could see from your setup is more volume getting in, but with more chance for water.
As for your lower EGTs, I suspect your filter placement was dragging in hot air and now you are back to stock EGTs because it's has outside air.
just my .02

#3 ·
I agree. For me, the stock box's inability to filter properly is what prompted all of this. As for the water, that's why I placed the scoop backwards. Also, I used an AEM dry filter, which is supposedly water resistant. Personally, the way I have it setup makes me feel like it's as susceptible to water as the stock setup. I may play around with a prefilter cover too. I'm just going to keep an eye on it. We'll see. Thanks for the .02.

#4 ·
I was thinking of doing a similar thing except with 2 scoops and 2 cone filters in a "T" arrangement. I like yours however ....

#5 ·
Have you compared the filtering surface area to the stocks?
Looks like you have cut down the area therefor reducing the amount of air getting in.
With all the reports about K&N filters letting in fine dust/dirt, are you sure the AEM is any better?

#6 ·
scoop

great job I like seeing other people on this forum exploring alternate stuff especially on the cheap .The stock box is ok if your running a stock motor . I was thinking about doing a hoodscoop on the drivers side only were my cleaner now is . I Might go through the fender :ford:

#8 ·
great job I like seeing other people on this forum exploring alternate stuff especially on the cheap .The stock box is ok if your running a stock motor . I was thinking about doing a hoodscoop on the drivers side only were my cleaner now is . I Might go through the fender :ford:

Just to add to your thinking, on my FJ Cruiser with snorkle plumbed to a TRD cold air intake box, I am getting consistant 2-3 degrees over ambient temps, on intake.

#9 ·
I think it would be obvious if you were trying to offend me bbasso. Any input is a good input and I don't really expect anyone who owns a diesel van to be anything but the most reasonable person around. As for the reduction in surface area of the filter, IMHO that's not a function of restriction, just service interval. I think the factors involved are the minimum diameters of the inlet tube, which I never reduced and I also removed lengths of. Is that reasonable thinking guys? On another note, feel free to check out the other thread I started.

#11 ·
Looks real good, but I agree the filter may be too small. I would tee 2 filters like blag said.

If you could rig your filterminder into the intake tube, you would know for sure if the filter flows enough.

This post has been deleted
#13 ·
My friend wants the airaid intake,Im going with a banks
was that a spam post? they don't even offer any intakes for a ford diesel van!

on a side note, I've considered cutting the intake through the passenger side fender and mount a big rig chromed out air filter. I've always been curious if anyone has done this.

#14 ·
Awesome work sir, I plan on doing a custom air intake as well. I believe there is function to be gained. And besides, trying new ideas is always fun.

#15 ·
You did a 4.0 Job on the intake.
I also had my Orig. Air Box come up-glued
However, I picked up a replacement STOCK box from Wabash Ford.
The complete assembly came with filters, filter minder and sensor unit.
Total cost was right at $100.00

#16 · (Edited)
Update on the cold air intake after plenty of use. Firstly, I got rid of the AEM dry filter as it was letting way too much fine dust in. I put a little bit of oil inside the intake and checked for dirt after a while and sure enough--they don't filter very well in my opinion. Then, I made a "T" out of exhaust tubing to connect two K&N cone filters that are 3.5" inlet and 7" long. They fit in the housing that I made perfectly and this setup is by far the best. There are no significant problems with water/snow getting in and it's seen plenty of both. I just scrap of any snow that is sitting on the hood scoop before starting it. I believe anything that makes it into the box and down the intake is evaporated almost immediately. Plus, what's a little water vapor in the intake anyway? The K&N filters, with their oil, keep the inside of the intake completely spotless--how it should be! I'll can post more pics if anyone want, just ask.

#17 ·
Dis:
Looking forward to seeing this duel filter set-up

#22 ·
pic dont look right. Is that the radiator on left? Is this a front wheel drive PSD?

#23 ·
that's a 5.9 Cummins :thumbsup:

I am jealous

#25 ·
Why would ANYBODY be jealous of a Cumapart POS...
You can achieve better numbers with the correct Injectors and related Mods....Might cost DOUBLE the money.... but it is still original.....Cumaparts are CHEAP to fix and repair.....No Need for computers....I understand that....the T444E is a conflicted engine...I prefer the DT466 OR the 7.2 CAT ...but they will NOT fit in the E series Vans...

#27 · (Edited)
If you read my sig. you will realize I have the POS E4OD slush bucket and NOT a C6 ...and as far as that goes I routinely tow more than 15 K ...In my opinion people who do the Swap are broke or Cheap and do not want to spend the money to fix the T444E original to the truck ....OR they are too stupid / Inbred to know how to fix it in the first place....This does not include YOU because you did it in a Van.....which is an impressive achievement ...I wish I had that much time and your obvious fabricating skills . That being said , I could train a Monkey to fix a 6BT...Parts are way cheaper too...In closing , I don't have to prove anything ...somebody else already did....albeit this is a little extreme...I will not be going this far.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d54Ss6puVVg

#28 ·
I like it! Kudo's. I've been thinking of doing the same thing, nice to see one done. On the water intrusion subject: You could create a shield that stands above the filters so as not to impede airflow, & a drainage at the lowpoint of the box. This is how I'd planned to construct mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.