Diesel vs Gas van comparison questions. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2003, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel vs Gas van comparison questions.

I'm trying to buy a gas or diesel powered van/truck and wondering if anyone has driven both the gas and diesel versions of the same size/type or similar ford vans and would be willing to share your thoughts regarding driving the two different engine types under loaded vs unloaded and non towing vs towing conditions...

Thanks

BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2003, 11:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Diesel vs Gas van comparison questions.

If you're looking for a vehicle that serves primarily as a family bus, it might be a long time before you pay for the diesel option and the increased service procedures.

If you're going to load it up or spend a significant amount of miles pulling a trailer, then your initial expense will come back a lot sooner.

In addition, it is impossible not to consider the intangibles. I love the feeling that my PSD has the power to do nearly anything that I ask of it. I love the sound of the powerful engine. I appreciate the efficiency or a diesel engine.

Driving a PSD is like lovin a tacky woman. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Yardbrew

02 E350 PSD Cargo with windows/power/CC/3.55 LS/Prodigy/Reese WD & Dual Cam/....from Cochise
Van Color:Gray--Bumper Color:Gray--Wheel Color:Gray--Hubcaps:metallic--Tire Color:black--Grill Color:gray plastic
I pull a 1987 Wells Cargo Express Wagon (20 ft)
Yardbrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

my vote if you can afford it go for the diesel almost 20 mpg not to mention the power is awesome
Old 08-21-2003, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, it is impossible not to consider the intangibles. I love the feeling that my PSD has the power to do nearly anything that I ask of it. I love the sound of the powerful engine. I appreciate the efficiency or a diesel engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.. my next door neighbor has a gas van and he pulls a trailer sometimes, his driveway is flat and his van struggles to just push the trailer up over the edge of the driveway and back it up. Yet when backing up a comperable trailer in my drieway which is really steep our diesel van is like.. hah, that's it?!

The roar of a diesel and whine of a turbo is worth it all to me.

Ford 1992 E-350, 6,900 lbs.
Dodge 1997 Ram 3500
Ford 2005 F-350
yaric008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2003, 04:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had a 1999 E-350 with the 5.4 v-8,it is identical to my 2002 E-350 PSD. As far as towing, I never really tow with either of them. But I can tell you I get roughly 100 more miles per tank of fuel with the diesel. Both the vans are loaded down with the same amount of weight, roughly 1500-2000 lbs. It feels to me that the gas van has a little jump of the line, but once the diesel gets rolling it really takes off!! I didn't need the diesel when I bought the new van, I just wanted it, and if I was to do it again I would get the diesel. Once you go diesel you never go back!!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)

In 2000 I bought a E350 5.4 gas, and drove it for three years, halling 3000lbs of salt inside, and towed a few trailors, and even towed my sons jeep 500 miles on a dolly, got some thing like 7mpg arg..... and when I was doing the tow there was hills and the like, was a slow trip, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] then around the first of the year I figured that it was time to change vans, business right-off and the like, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]did lots of research [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and then 4 months ago I bought a 2000 7.3 PSD,, and as before have moved 3000 lbs of salt , and have needed to tow {this time 77chevy PU on trailor} 200 miles and now the engine is like is that all that you want??? would you like more??? best that I have gotten is 17mpg with the lowest at 13mpg .. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I know that for myself when the time comes for a replacement it will be another diesel,,,
and the rest are right,, that sound of the turbo when leaving the line at the light,, passing some slow rig,, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2003, 08:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've actually owned both: a '97 E350 V-10 15 pass. and currently a '03 E350 PSD. The best distinction I can make is in terms of towing. If you're going to be dealing with less than 5000 lb. behind the vehicle, go V-10. If you're going to be loading both the vehicle and a trailer up to 10,000 lb then you're not going to match the PSD.

Case in point: We borrowed a 33 ft camping trailer (8500lb) last year to go to the Outer Banks. We ended up towing it with my '96 F-350 (5-speed and 4.10 gears) and averaged 14mpg. (My '03 also has 4.10's, so I'm assuming the comparison is close.) However when I had to return the camper, I used the '97 V-10. It handled the weight okay, whereas the PSD mastered the trailer.

Empty my '97 with a 3.73 rear end would average 13-15 mpg around town and 16-19 mpg on the highway (speed limit driving for the most part). Right now my '03 is averaging 14mpg around town, and better (only 2900 mi. so far) on the highway. If you're not going to be towing, I'd recommend the V-10. It's much more quiet on the highway and very rarely will jump out of overdrive to pull a hill (it'd have to be pretty steep). If you are going to be dealing with a fully loaded vehicle, or towing go PSD.

Regardless of your choice, don't go with anything other than V-10 or PSD. Anything else is too weak for these vehicles and will cost you at the pump. People are always amazed with the V-10 being more economical than the 5.4, but it's true (at least for Western North Carolina roads).

Hope that helps,

Arborist

'96 F-350 CC 4wd PSD 4.10 LS, Formerly the "Wife's Minivan"
keethw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2003, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If you really work the van. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
You cannot compare the two. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
The diesel is far superior to the gas even with its flaws. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

BILL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
MADVAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2003, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to buy a gas or diesel powered van/truck and wondering if anyone has driven both the gas and diesel versions of the same size/type or similar ford vans and would be willing to share your thoughts regarding driving the two different engine types under loaded vs unloaded and non towing vs towing conditions...

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes a '78 V8 460 gasser and now the one in my signature both with lots of experience unloaded and towing and I'll just pass on sharing ....
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Buy one and find out!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I debated for quite a while between the two. I just wanted it (diesel, that is).

2001 E350 PSD, Deep Emerald Green, 3.55 LS, Premium package, dual alts, rear A/C. Quigley 4x4, Transfer Flow rear tank (27+26), handicap mods, custom interior, Reunel tire carrier w/ Hi-Lift, Sportsmobile nerf bars (black), Amsoil lubes and Dual-Gard bypass oil filter, Amsoil air filters, Eclipse/JL Audio sound system w/ Sirius & 120GB Neo Car Jukebox (MP3 player), J&J stainless grill, Reunel Stainless bumper, 12000# Warn winch, PIAA lights, Bilstein shocks, Ultra Magnum wheels, Michelin tires (265/75-16), Correctrack rear wheel spacers, Bushwhacker flares (painted), Velvet-Ride spring shackles, p/s filter, external tranny and coolant filters, Autometer gauges(5), Optima Yellow Tops, Airdog.
msnunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.