Dieselsite Coolant filter installed - 6.0 Van - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Guys im about to make that vital cut. So we are talking right in the middle of that section between the 2 90 degree turns eh-

I mounted my filter already under the road armor bumper. Yea If you dont have aftermarket bumpers Im not sure where I would have put this. It would suck to put it way back on the frame rails.

I spliced into the degas bottle line really close to the radiator because I figured if i put the "Tee" fitting where that one picture had it that it might make Air Filter changes a pain.
Premier Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM   #32 (permalink)

Ok, I DO have that metal sleve in my heater hose. (this must be a update part they added on newer years (see my previous post on why ford does this)

I think I got enough room in there to get a copper pipe cutter in there & go around in a circle to cut the rubber evenly then pull the metal piece out. I would guess this metal piece is a reinforcement due to the 2 bends being so close together. This "Tee" fitting would do the same job as that piece I would guess.

Tomorrow i will butcher
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM   #33 (permalink)

Ok its all done & Im pleased with the good quality job I did. I didnt Butcher it.

I had more then enough hose to do the job, hell I have enough to almost do the job again. I only lost a couple tablespoons of coolant.

I also Primed my filter by filling it so i figure that is less i need to add later to the DEGAS bottle. also could help with any air pockets. I would recommend this.

Plenty of room to cut that hose with the insert. I just cut above the metal insert & had plenty of room to get that "tee" in there nice & tight. Full hose length & all with no crimps on the 90's
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #34 (permalink)

Sweet! Good job dude.
Aluminess Front/Rear Bumpers.
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
SnowMan Mod / Door Seal Mod
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #35 (permalink)

Ridintall: did you see the earlier post I made about why ford put that Metal piece in that hose? It looks like a update piece that comes on the newer models as well. I have the piece in hand & it retricts the flow down a bit
Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier Kirby View Post
Ridintall: did you see the earlier post I made about why ford put that Metal piece in that hose? It looks like a update piece that comes on the newer models as well. I have the piece in hand & it retricts the flow down a bit

Yeah, that's what it looked like to me. I still have mine too. I gather they needed to slow down the coolant for better heat transfer from the oil cooler. I'm able to monitor EOT's now and so far so good since getting my oil cooler replaced (and coolant filter installed shortly after).

Oogs
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #37 (permalink)

I would guess that If we felt like it You could insert a small tube inside the metal "tee" to reduce it back down to the size to this reducer piece. Once the smaller pipe is inside the "tee" you could just drill a hole to the smaller end that goes to the filter.

Im going to leave it alone myself.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #38 (permalink)

I called Bob Riley (where we bought our kits from) & asked him what he knows about this restrictor piece that is only on Vans & he never heard of it before or has never been asked until I spoke of it.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
I called Bob Riley (where we bought our kits from) & asked him what he knows about this restrictor piece that is only on Vans & he never heard of it before or has never been asked until I spoke of it.
I found this:

2004 Econoline Heater Core Leak:
Vans built between 1-20-04 and 5-29-04 with a front heater only may develop a leak at the heater core. Replace the core with part number 4C2Z-18476-AA as well as the inlet hose, P/N 5C2Z-18472-AA, which has an internal flow restrictor.
TSB 05-2-5.

I kept the restrictor so if this ever happens to me, I'll just shove it back in there.

Oogs
125W Solar Panel.
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #40 (permalink)

That is Great to Know! Funny you posted about this again, I was just thinking This morning about that piece & having my doubts about it being removed. My thoughts are to have my machinist friend make me a "tee" fitting with a reducer of that same size built into the "Tee" . The only thing i was worried about is it being a problem with the EGR or Oil cooler but thats good to know its not that. Now Im less concerned knowing Heater core is the Worst case senerio.

If I can get him to make a 'Tee" fitting that is high quality & does the job would you be interested in one?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #41 (permalink)

I suppose too fast of coolant flow to the heater core? That may help us in the northern States & Canada in the winter.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #42 (permalink)

My Photos: (80)
Killer Job on your Cooling System Filter Install.

Here is the best valve to block the heater core from getting hot water to maximize the A/C Coldness.

Another view

MOTORCRAFT Part # YG350 {#F87Z18495AA}
4 Port Valve
$16.03 $0.00 $16.03
FOUR SEASONS Part # 74809
4-Port Valve
$17.44 $0.00 $17.44

My Pal Dan at the Ford Trucks Forum made a nice set of instructions for installing this valve, so I made a pdf for him, it's a DL there now in the Faq's somewhere.

One Gent has 38 degrees from using this valve.

I am going to install one soon.

best,
Russ
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

38 degrees is ICE! Wow. More call for that in Florida.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
That is Great to Know! Funny you posted about this again, I was just thinking This morning about that piece & having my doubts about it being removed. My thoughts are to have my machinist friend make me a "tee" fitting with a reducer of that same size built into the "Tee" . The only thing i was worried about is it being a problem with the EGR or Oil cooler but thats good to know its not that. Now Im less concerned knowing Heater core is the Worst case senerio.

If I can get him to make a 'Tee" fitting that is high quality & does the job would you be interested in one?
It depends on the price. I may want to squirrel it away just in case. BTW, as I mentioned in previous posts, I keep an emergency repair kit in my van consisting of extra heater hose, clamps and barbed fittings should one of the stock hoses leak or blow from the T fitting.
125W Solar Panel.
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #45 (permalink)

I wonder how that valve would work with the coolant filter? I'd still want to be able to filter the coolant during the summer months. I guess if it got installed downstream from the T fitting it would work. Hmmmm.

Right now my air blows pretty cold, but it takes about 30-40 minutes of cruising on the highway before it gets really cold. Plus the rear A/C that Sporstmobile installs helps a lot.
125W Solar Panel.
"Blue Spring" Upgrade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.