E350 Club Wagon Rear Heat/Air Problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2002, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E350 Club Wagon Rear Heat/Air Problem

I bought a 1997 E350 Club Wagon with the 7.3 Powerstroke engine. I am very happy with the van and engine except that the rear ac does not work and only throws hot air out of the floor vents. From reading posts on this site it sounds like I have a problem with an air diverter on the auxillary heat/air unit. When I turn the dash switch to vent or AC, I get outside air or AC through the dash vents, but the rear blower continues to put air from the floor and nothing comes out of the ceiling vents.

Today, I removed the controls from the dash and everything looks fine from there. When I turn the switch to vent I can hear the vacuum line moving the front air blend door. I could find no electrical connection to send a signal to the auxilliary unit. Is the vacuum line supposed to run all the way to the rear unit? Could it be clogged or kinked somewhere? Or does the vacuum line also actuate an electrical switch to the rear unit? Do I need to open the side panels at the rear of the van to get to the problem? I have searched the internet looking for any diagram, schematic or other information to give a hint as to what I should do, but to no avail. I appreciate any help.

kylep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2002, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: E350 Club Wagon Rear Heat/Air Problem

I had the same problem on my '94 last year. There is a divertor in the drivers side rear corner also. One of the pins that the divertor pivots on broke. I had to order a new divertor from Ford. It wasn't the hardest thing that I have ever fixed but it took a little time. If I remember correctly, I had to remove the last two wall panels on the drivers side. You will then be able to see the housing that holds the rear A/C coils. Towards the lower front of the housing you will see the pin that the divertor pivots on. There is also a vacuum actuator in the same area that pushes and pulls on the divertor. Make sure that is working properly before yopu start exploring. I think I loosened up the housing from the floor to be able to get to the divertor. That should get you in the area.
2002Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2002, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. We will try to take it apart this weekend.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

kylep
I took my van to the dealer today for the same problem. they replaced a vacuum control motor INOP part # F2UZ 18A318B. I'm 90% sure it was in the front. Fixed the problem. He said the control motor itself was leaking vacuum.
If you'd like, I can call the mechanic in the morning and get the specifics.
Let me know if I can help

Paul
2002 E350 (E31) PSD Chateau Quigley 4x4 3:55LS Dual Alts / AIC / MagnaFlow / Westach / Autometer / 4 gauge A-pillar / MagHytec Trans & Diff / Weld / Michelin / Hellwig / K & N / Trans Flow / Turbo Life saver / TransGo / BD Exhaust Brake / FPS performance kit / Aux. Trans cooler w/fan / Rancho / Estate Green/Silver (VLB2) Locust Grove, GA
roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2002, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Any help is appreciated. I really don't want to take the side wall out if I don't have to. Any specifics would be helpful. Let me know.
Old 05-16-2002, 10:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'll call the shop in the morning and get as much info as I can. My guess is you need to know where that particular vac motor is on a '97. The only problem I forsee is getting the tech guy on the phone. The dealership is big one and they sometimes are real busy. I'll let you know via this thread.
If you need more info than I stated, email me direct
roaddog@mindspring.com

Paul
2002 E350 (E31) PSD Chateau Quigley 4x4 3:55LS Dual Alts / AIC / MagnaFlow / Westach / Autometer / 4 gauge A-pillar / MagHytec Trans & Diff / Weld / Michelin / Hellwig / K & N / Trans Flow / Turbo Life saver / TransGo / BD Exhaust Brake / FPS performance kit / Aux. Trans cooler w/fan / Rancho / Estate Green/Silver (VLB2) Locust Grove, GA
Old 05-17-2002, 08:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

kylep
OK, called the Ford A/C Tech : the vac motor that controls the door is under the dash. You access it by lifting the small plate on top of the dash ( in the old days, that's were the speaker would be). You'll see TWO motors, the left one has a long actuating arm the RIGHT one has a shorter arm. You want to focus / replace the RIGHT MOTOR. He said you can SEE the arm acutating as you turn the control knob from one setting to another. Also, he said be sure to check to see if you have a vac leak in the hoses that connect to this motor / look for crimped/bent or otherwise that may restrict vaccum going in of out of this motor. He said you can probably "hear" a hissing noise if you have a leak in the hoses ( he didn't say if you could hear a leak coming from the motor itself) Hope this gives you a good start. Like many of us, I thought the problem somewhere in the rear segment of the system, but, he says no, look at the front (as described) first. With my van he found that the motor itself was leaking at the arm bushing/seal. He said in my case it was a defect, in yours, it could be the same leak, but, just do to wear. Not an uncommon problem according to the tech.

get back to me if you think I can help

Paul
Old 05-18-2002, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks.....Tomorrow is when we will look at it......We'll let you know what we find.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks to all, I now have the rear heat/air working right again. I first checked the vacuum motors in the dash. This was very, very easy as the access panel just snaps into place on the top of the dash. With the access panel off, both vacuum motors were easily accessible. Unfortunately, both motor arms worked properly when the switch was turned to heat or air. The motor on the right had a "T" connector in the blue vacuum line and I could tell that this line ran back to the rear air and I couldn't find any kinks or blockage from the dash down to the passage under the step well of the driver's door, so I started removing the back panels by the heat/air unit.

First, the panel directly over the heat/air unit has a small section with an air intake grid. The way this section is made makes it appear that it should be removeable. As I bought this van used, several of the air grid ribs were already broken as if something being hauled in the back of the van had fallen on it. Due to this, I decided to pry this section off when it did not snap off easily. It ends up being attached by what appears to be plastic posts extending from the grid into holes on the rear trim panel, but the plastic posts had been heated/melted into rivets and I just broke off each one as I removed the grid. (When I reinstalled this, rather than buying a new grid, which I might do later, I put five small screws through the grid posts/rivets and it is held back solidly and will be easy to remove again, if necessary.)

With the air grid out of the way, I was able to see the rear vacuum motor and the same blue vacuum line attaching to it. I removed the line at a connection about 8 inches from the motor and could feel a very small vacuum in it. I was concerned that the vacuum might not be strong enough so I cleaned the remaining line leading to the motor and then sucked on the line. I could hear the motor arm moving (the motor was attached to a plastic housing and the arm was completely inside the housing so you couldn't see the arm). At the same time, I could see a pivot pin/hinge of the diverter door sticking out of its pivot hole in the housing. This part did not move as I actuated the vacuum motor. Taking needle nose pliars I was able to turn the diverter door and turning on the air put the air out the ceiling vents as designed. As soon as you let go of the door with the needle nose, it would go back from ceiling to floor air. I had to remove the door and motor to see what needed replaced.

In hind sight, there might have been enough (barely) room to get the motor and door out through the air grid I removed, but I removed the trim panel for more access. I had to remove the top trim panel before I could remove the bottom panel. There was one small bolt holding the vacuum motor in place, right at the bottom of the motor. After removing the motor and the door, I could see that the pin where the motor arm connects to the door was broken off. A new door cost $18 at Ford and everything went back together easier than it came apart. Now my wife is much happier since we are taking her family to the Indy 500 next week in the van and she wanted them to have rear air available in case it gets hot.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions. I now have another question about the shocks, but I'll start a new thread about that.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Same door as mine...You did it the right way, as far as removing the side panels. The only differece is that I think I was able to loosen a couple of nuts to be abe to raise the rear housing up out of the floor to remove the door easier. Good job.......
2002Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2002, 10:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

kylep
Thanks for that great detail on "how to". This is one of those problems that are hard to figure out. Thanks to you and 2002gasser for birddoging the fix. I'm printing out this thread for future reference.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.