e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 01:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift

Hello everyone! Long time lurker here, lots of great info and people that I have seen so far!

Time to post my first question! I have a 2005 29' class C motorhome on a 2004 e450 chassis. It has the 6.0 powerstroke. I was told by chris at ujoint offroad the transfer case (NV271) should bolt right up to the tranny as long as it is the same spline count. I went out today with the intentions of removing the ebrake unit and counting the splines. After looking at what I was getting in to, it appears that if I pull the assembly I will lose the tranny fluid, is this true?

Does anyone know this particular configuration and what the spline count is? That way I can try and get a NV271 that will mate up without changing the input.

Thanks for your input here, I know this is a pretty rare and unique project and I hope to get most of my bases covered before I tear in to it next week!
etcatmeat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

After doing lots more research I found and confirmed that my tranny has a 34 spline output and of course I need the 34 spline input! I found a transfer case today and picked it up! Plan is to start the conversion in a couple days and have it done by next week. The parts are starting to take over my garage!
Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

post some pictures of your install.. is yours the motor home on chris's web site?
Thanks,
Deo
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4, 12V P Pump Cummins, 0-ringed head, AE G56 6 spd, southbend FE clutch, guages, lazer dv, 370's, Black Vinyl floor, 285 Nitto Dura Grapplers, 4" remote BD Exhaust Brake, 4" exhaust, Working on Twin turbos HX50 9cm and BHT3E 20cm with tial external wastegate, looking for 2008 XL front clip
http://picasaweb.google.com/therabbittree/Excursion02#
2005 Excursion Eddie Bauer 4x4, 6.0L, Rear Capts. Dark Green
1992 W350, srw, dump flat, 5sp, pods
1996 Passat TDI Wagon, worked
therabbittree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Cool! I have a e450 motorhome and the thought of a 4x4 has crossed my mind! (But time and $$ have pushed that to the bottom of my long project list). Adding an intercooler is much higher on my list!
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Motorhome build is done....pics are on Chris' site:
4x4 van conversion testimonials

Here's some build pics also.

To answer my own question, it did not spill tranny fluid and it was a 34 spline.

This thing is awesome, awesome to drive. Handles great and goes anywhere (anywhere a 30 foot RV can fit anyway!) I have had it out on lots of trips, probably going on 10 now (yeah I use my motorhome wayyyyy more than most people), and have had no issues with driveline or engine except for a MOOG ball joint boot splitting open.
Attached Thumbnails
e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift-img_2833_1024x768.jpg   e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift-img_2840_1024x768.jpg   e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift-img_2850_1024x768.jpg   e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift-img_2854_1024x768.jpg   e450 class c motorhome 4x4 conversion and lift-cimg0541_1024x766.jpg  

Old 10-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great Job!

Did you need to change the trans tail?

How did you select the front springs and what did you do out back?

Which axle is that (my brain's on slow right now and I'm not dissecting your pics quick enough!)

Enjoy your new ride!
PSD 4x4 F350 Duellie
32' Open Triaxle Dovetail
22' Gooseneck Dump
Carriage Carri-Lite
PSD E450 Chassis Cab
PSD E550 Cube Van
SuperDutyFiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

very cool.. some place here there are pix of a '77 ford motor home that was converted to an F350 4x4 drive-line w 5 spd zf gearbox and 7.3 ( naturally!) up in Canada..... 4x4 house on wheels.. I like it
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyFiver View Post
Great Job!

Did you need to change the trans tail?

How did you select the front springs and what did you do out back?

Which axle is that (my brain's on slow right now and I'm not dissecting your pics quick enough!)

Enjoy your new ride!
Didn't need to change the trans tail, just took off parking brake drum and bolted up the t-case.

I weighed the motorhome and had Atlas Spring make the springs, front and back. The back springs were built after the front ride height was determined.

Front axle is a Dana 60 from a Ford Super Duty.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.