How to straighten steering wheel w/o getting aligned - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to straighten steering wheel w/o getting aligned

E450 Van with a 24' Tioga attached to the back. The alignment is fine but, the steering wheel is turned a little to the left. Wanted to know if there was a way to get the steering wheel straight without having to bring it to an alignment shop.

Anybody help?

Thanks,

Chris
97 F350 CC Long Box PSD. My Mods - Front leveling kit, Weld Outback 16x8 wheels, BFG 285/75/16, Rancho 9000s on all corners, downpipe, Banks guages, Open Air Element, lost kitty, Mag-Hytec rear cover, air ride bags
cfoye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Re: How to straighten steering wheel w/o getting aligned

It is fairly easy to straighten the wheel.

- Drive on a level road and determine exactly where the steering wheel points, maybe even mark the top with white tape. Drive some more and make sure the mark is correct

- Park in your driveway (or parking lot at work or some other convenient work surface) and make sure the mark is at the top of the steering wheel

- Locate the steering box under the front of the truck. Find the rod that goes from the steering box to the passenger side wheel assembly. What you need to do is to adjust the length of this rod to center the steering wheel. The length of this rod does not affect alignment, only the centering of the wheel. DO NOT ADJUST THE ROD THAT GOES FROM DRIVER'S SIDE WHEEL TO THE PASSENGER SIDE WHEEL.

- Find the adjuster on the that rod. It will be a round clamp about 3-5" long with bolts on both ends. One end is left hand thread, and the other side is right hand thread.

- Loosen the two clamp bolts (pay attention to how tight they are - you will need to tighten them about the same when you are done) and rotate the adjuster in one direction. Check the steering wheel - did it get better or worse? If better, continue adjusting in the same direction until the wheel is centered. If worse, adjust in the opposite direction until the wheel is centered.

- Retighten the clamp bolts. You don't want this to come loose when you are driving

If you get it wrong, don't worry about, just readjust it as many times as it takes until you get it right. I carried the tool with me for a week and adjusted it a few times on different roads until I was happy with the results.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]

- Locate the steering box under the front of the truck. Find the rod that goes from the steering box to the passenger side wheel assembly. What you need to do is to adjust the length of this rod to center the steering wheel. The length of this rod does not affect alignment, only the centering of the wheel. DO NOT ADJUST THE ROD THAT GOES FROM DRIVER'S SIDE WHEEL TO THE PASSENGER SIDE WHEEL.

[/ QUOTE ] This procedure will not work on a normal Ford van steering linkage, any movement of the adjusting sleeves will alter the toe settings. The only correct way is to have it realigned.
On a Super Duty or Excursion 4X4 this method will work.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

[/ QUOTE ] This procedure will not work on a normal Ford van steering linkage, any movement of the adjusting sleeves will alter the toe settings. The only correct way is to have it realigned.
On a Super Duty or Excursion 4X4 this method will work.
FMT

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing that out. My van is a 4x4 with a Super Duty front axle, which explains my confusion.

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
115615 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

that is what I was afraid of. Other option might be steering wheel removal but, having to deal with the airbag and stuff kinda deters me from attempting.

Chris
97 F350 CC Long Box PSD. My Mods - Front leveling kit, Weld Outback 16x8 wheels, BFG 285/75/16, Rancho 9000s on all corners, downpipe, Banks guages, Open Air Element, lost kitty, Mag-Hytec rear cover, air ride bags
cfoye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2005, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

The older vans, 1987 and down, with one tie rod adjuster sleeve had the option to remove the steering wheel to straighten but when they went to the newer two adjuster sleeve steering linkage they keyed the steering wheel to the shaft in one position so that will not work for you either.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tighten the right side adjusting sleeve, and loosen the left side adjusting sleeve the same amount. Try 1/4 turn at a time. This will alter the steering wheel alignment without changing the toe-in (as long as the sleeves are moved exactly the same distance).

You can actually set your toe-in pretty easily with a toe gauge from JC Whitney. Since that's all you really set of the Ford trucks, it's a ton cheaper than having a shop put it on a computerized apparatus to do a simple setting.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.