How to tell if I have 2 or 4 wheel ABS? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to tell if I have 2 or 4 wheel ABS?

Without taking everything apart, is there a sure way to know? I need to get new rotors and they asked if they were 2 or 4?? I cant get to the store if my hubs are pulled apart.

Thanks..
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Also, I was going to go with Wagner brand rotors and pads Semi Metallic Thermo Quite. Are they good or anyone suggest any others.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
look behind your front wheel, if you see another line, with the brake line, you have 4wheel abs. If all you have is a brake line running down behind the wheel then you have rear abs only.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBBT View Post
look behind your front wheel, if you see another line, with the brake line, you have 4wheel abs. If all you have is a brake line running down behind the wheel then you have rear abs only.
I do see another line on the other side just wasnt sure what it was for. From the backside of the rotor, I see teeth like on a gear. I think this is for the ABS?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Yes it is ...
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are asking about your '06.... They all have 4-wheel ABS.

I've been happiest with OEM pads. They seem to have the best bite, hot or cold. Downside is they also dust the most, and they do smell hot sooner. But I've never experienced any brake fade.

I've tried a lot of the aftermarket stuff BTW, and I'll stick with Ford fleet pads from now on.
Buckstop front bumper, Reunel rear w/ 20,000# reciever
250,000+
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I recently installed the Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-metalic pads on my F350 and Excursion. I am pleased with them. Strong peddle. No noise without having to goop them up. You just install them into the calipers. Because I have 71+ K miles on the truck I bought the set with the hardware -springs that hold the pads in place- and replaced the hardware at the same time.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook moniter (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer Yaesu FTM-10R & a Comet CSB 770A
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I was thinking about going to something other than OEM because mine are shaking at 32K. I did have some weight (concrete blocks) in the back to help the snow but I wasnt over my GVWR. No panic stops. Figured I could get some with a lifetime warranty for less than OEM and if I have any more issue, I can just replace them.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0987 View Post
I recently installed the Wagner ThermoQuiet Semi-metalic pads on my F350 and Excursion. I am pleased with them. Strong peddle. No noise without having to goop them up. You just install them into the calipers. Because I have 71+ K miles on the truck I bought the set with the hardware -springs that hold the pads in place- and replaced the hardware at the same time.
How was brake dust? Those were the ones I was looking at. Did they stop like OEM?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Chances are you just need need to do some hard deccelerations, without fully stopping. You likely have uneven pad deposits. Changing pads will not help.

Warped Rotor Myths
250,000+

Last edited by carringb; 04-15-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Chances are you just need need to do some hard deccelerations, without fully stopping. You likely have uneven pad deposits. Changing pads will not help.

Warped Rotor Myths
Yes, I believe I do have deposits on the rotors. The plan was to replace the rotors and pads. I didnt know that hard braking can get rid of the deposits. I will try to so some on and off freeway trips to see if it will do the trick. Its weird because sometimes its worse than others. Enough to drive me nuts. I have to repack the bearings since Im at 30K so I figured I would just replace everything. I like the idea of not spending money. I will give it a shot.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

The hard braking doesn't get rid of the deposits, it makes the deposits even around the rotor. It does work. I also now make an effort not to stay on the brakes when I come to a hard stop, like if I come off the freeway with a heavy trailer. I pop it into Park or use the parking brake instead.
250,000+
Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Ok guys how many of you have tried to even out the deposits on the rotors as suggested in the above link?

Does it work?

I'm about to replace a rotor and pads....

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
This has been discussed in length about the deposits & how they are formed & about burnishing . Real good info. The 2nd to last post is the important info.
Ford Brake bedding procedure
1999 E350 7.3psd , XLT , 15 pass/ext , purchased 6/6/05 w/255k on odo, 8/05 added BTM/straight pipe,5/06 BTS,1"shimmed front coil springs,Michelin XPS 235/85 16 R.,FredGroeske2"rear wheel spacers,1-1/2" rear sway bar,AIC,3 A-pillar guages, Tekonsha envoy,coolant filter,4 pos dp-tuner,In-tank mod & harpooned,dahl-100 prepumpfilter,Scan-guage,Bilstein shocks.
bork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Thanks, I have been reading most of the various brake posts in the F series too. My E350 definitely has the shakey brakey.

I rotated the tires a few months back and the shakey breaky was immediately gone. It has reappeared. I drove 3 of the old E series for 30 years and NEVER had a shakey brakey. So it has to be something to do with the suspension and alignment of the current E series.

Also depending on road terrain I get shakey and sometimes no shakey. So this would suggest its not entirely due to deposits?

Thanks for the link!

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 72,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired 11/8/2011 with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!

Last edited by Snotzalot; 06-08-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Snotzalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.