The Diesel Stop banner

Hydra Lock??

5K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  StockKnocker 
#1 ·
is there a such thing of the PSD 7.3 being hydra-lock? i did service on the fuel system with RR FRX and oil change. tried to start the van and it turn over then stopped and it's locked up?????

#2 ·
Absolutely it's a thing with any diesel. The weird thing is a fuel system mod and oil change shouldn't have caused it. Pulling an injector is a different story. The "cure" is to pull the glow plugs and rotate the engine two full turns by hand then spin it with the starter. You need to determine what fluid is in the cylinder and then figure out how it got there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
So now, just to be sure, it won't turn over, or it won't start?

#6 ·
yes it won't turn over. it started to turn maybe 2 rotations and locked up. i think it could have gotten water in the cylinders via the plenum covers was open after i removed the old ones and power washed the engine valley?? i had shop rags in the hole?????????? :sick::sick::sick::sick::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

#4 ·
Yea, i dont think the mods/maintenance you just did would hydra-lock your engine. Maybe a dead battery or starter?

#5 ·
But - don't go charging up the batteries and trying to start IF there is a question. The starter will develop enough torque to break things.

If I were you I'd disconnect the batteries and try turning over with a breaker bar. If you can't, it really could be locked up and you should investigate further.

#7 ·
Yep- that would do it. It would only take a few teaspoons. Pull the glow plugs and clear the engine. Then, spray WD40 in all the cylinders and rotate it a few more times. Time is your enemy right now. The water in there is rusting your cylinder walls as we speak.

#10 ·
any up date?

#14 ·
Update: got her running, took her out for a 20min. spin to get all the air out of the fuel, oil and coolant. she is running good i will check for leaks in the morning. i also want to change the oil again to make sure nothing is in the oil. for now she is running good :grin2:, just a little hard to start for now?? Thanks all for the help!!!!!!! :smile2:

#19 ·
Thanks Guy's for the help!!! the van is running really well except that it chewed up two brand new belts, that keep walking to the front of the PS/pulley??? and a fuel leak from fuel drain valve which i rebuilt when i replaced the FRX??? i will try new o'rings on the fuel valve??? and i have a crazy feeling about the belt issue but want to diagnose a little further:disappointed::frown2: .

#20 ·
Your power steering pump is probably shot. The serpentine belt is wide and goes through a lot of sturdy ribbed stationary pulleys doing a good job of keeping that belt nice and straight with all those pullies in line. Those pumps get a lot of end play.
I feel confident if you take the tention off the belt you will find the power steering pump shaft has a ton of play in it.

#21 ·
Thanks Nick, or i was thinking worst case is that the crank could be shot? making the belt wobble on the WP pulley which the WP is brand new??? the truck is running strong!

#22 ·
Take the belt loose and check for play in all the pulleys and especially the tensioner. I think you'll find your tensioner is sprung which throws the belt out of alignment. Your just seeing it at the ps pump.

#24 ·
CJ, glad to hear you're getting all worked out. X2 on RT's advice. Check PS, idler pulleys, and vac pump pulley, etc., for excessive play. I'm assuming you replaced drain o-rings with Viton or fluorosis icon o-rings when you re-built the bowl. Before you remove bowl drain, or the bowl, check cable that operates the drain. It should make a gradual bend and not be trapped or hung up on intake, etc. If it looks o.k., next you should open it and close it once or twice in case there are small particles or crud in the ball valve, and then close it tight. You can verify that it is closing tight by using a small flashlight and a mechanic's mirror with doghouse removed. Next, tape or zip tie the handle on the end of the cable to hold constant pressure in the closed position. Cycle the key to on (key on, engine off) to pressure up fuel system. Check to see if it is still leaking.

#25 ·
Thanks Stock!! i removed the fuel drain valve cable. i had a shot filter seal that was leaking in the back, is the cable necessary?? the PS pump is next on the list to order next week. the pulley on the PS had little too much play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.