The Diesel Stop banner

I think I've got a serious problem, help needed.

15K views 116 replies 18 participants last post by  blageurt 
#1 ·
Some of you have might have noticed that I've had some problems.
I've tried the archoil products and it seemed to alleviate the problem but now they're back with a vengeance. What I'm feeling the van is doing, is on cold start up it has blue smoke way more than usual and has a very very bad vibration and doesn't go away until it reaches at least 175 degree oil temperature.
Even then it will stutter and vibrate while slow driving and puffs out Blue Smoke. I don't have a lot of money to fix this and I'm still on the road currently in New Jersey with no place to work.
She has some codes such as overboost I understand what that is and water in the fuel which I drained and hasn't come on since.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's the under cover valve harness going bad. What do you guys think is happening and how do I fix it???!

Thank you so much.
if anybody wants to call me directly please email me for my phone number.
Bbasso@yahoo.com

#2 ·
Just my thoughts, but I don't think a failing UCVH would cause lots of blue smoke. Blue smoke is associated with burning engine oil. Maybe injector O rings?

#3 ·
bb, you've helped me many times, and I really wish I could offer suggestions for you now, but this is way beyond my expertise. Good luck.

#5 ·
I appreciate your thoughtfulness on commenting to help even though it's above your paygrade LOL
If you guys happen to know somebody who's good with Powerstrokes,please pass on my question to them and my email address if they think they can be helpful or beneficial.

#6 ·
Rob, lookup 'dieseltechron' on youtube and shoot him a message. He is definitely good about returning emails, even on the weekend. When my UCVH were loose, I experience the same symptoms but I can say for sure that you are also experiencing the same considering you have alot of blue smoke. This maybe associated with white smoke but have you checked your coolant reservoir for oil or diesel?

Reactions: cjmcqueen1164
#8 ·
Rob, lookup 'dieseltechron' on youtube and shoot him a message. He is definitely good about returning emails, even on the weekend.

DieselTechRon (Ron Huxell) was killed in a car accident the day before yesterday. What you report regarding his answering of emails, even from random strangers, even on the weekends, is further testament to the sad loss of another generous human being.

#7 ·
Bbasso, are you 100% sure it's blue smoke and not white smoke? Reason I'm asking is I had a helluva bad time with mine trying to diagnose what ended up being tank delamination. Early on, it was simply running rough sometimes. Then sporadic and usually fine on start up, but worse on a big uphill or with a load. Smoke looked light bluish white to me but I wasn't sure if the DieselCleen or other additives I used were throwing it off. Funny thing was that I later found out that fuel additives can worsen delam in van tanks!

#11 ·
Yup, blue smoke but I also smell unburnt fuel when it's studdering and shaking.

Antifreeze is perfect, I've been checking each time I have driven.

I had my fuel tank down just a few month back and it was spotless, I hope this stuff doesn't make problems.

#12 ·
bbasso, if it were me, I'd check over in truck forums, & see if someone knowledgeable, is semi close to you, & give them a shout, to see if any guidance could be offered.
I once took off passenger side valve cover, & it took me a long time, I wasn't too happy doing it. With regret, I wish I knew ahead of time, for I would have replaced VC gasket with a new one. It was pretty much a waste of time, because I didn't know what I was doing anyhow.

#14 ·
Hi,
I had similar problem on my 2003 e350.
White/blueish smoke like crazy but also no power at all.
Max was 40mph on wot and then was smoking even more just like old steam ship.
I go to one mechanic and right away the told me...head gasket.
I didn't believe that so I go to diferent one(PDR diesel)and they change:
-ebp sensor
-ebp tube
-sensor harness(?)
-ipr valve
Believe or not this fix my problem!
No more smoking and power back.
Before that I bough new tank hoping that my tank is bad but my old one was totally fine.
So try checking all the sensors and good luck!

#18 ·
Thats what I was thinking of telling you to do. Also maybe a buzz test, to see if there are any obvious dead injectors. I remember reading in truck forums, years ago of a guy having weird problems, & turned out to be a wire where it attached to injector.

#20 ·
I found a local diesel shop near by... said they would charge $95 for a diagnostics.
I've got a 1pm appt tomorrow.

Please chime in with any questions I should be asking them.

#21 ·
After going to the shop today nearby they realize something is wrong but didn't have the proper program to diagnose it so they didn't charge me. I will go back in the morning when she is cold so they can get a better look at what's going on.

#22 ·
Bummer. Were they able to do a buzz test?

#26 ·
I would hope this is a good thing, and hopefully NOT having to go into injectors, or under valve covers. Hope it is a simple fix like a sensor or ICM etc..

#25 ·
Thats interesting they had no scanners for the 7.3 powerstroke but had a bunch of diesels in the yard. FWIW, if you can find a Genisys scanner, those are cheap and work on PSD'sup until 04' i believe. I went half on one with my mechanic when he was diagnosing my issues. Hopefully they can find out something

#28 ·
An injector electrical self test is only going to help identify an electrical fault with the injectors, IDM or the harness. What you need to remember is that you are dealing with HEUI injectors and you have to consider oil control within the injector as well as fuel control within the injector...

What I'm feeling the van is doing, is on cold start up it has blue smoke way more than usual and has a very very bad vibration and doesn't go away until it reaches at least 175 degree oil temperature.
Even then it will stutter and vibrate while slow driving and puffs out Blue Smoke.

Injector? Maybe. A base engine concern is also to be considered. The best way to approach this is to identify the cylinder(s) causing the vibration/misfire/low contribution. Having a scan tool that will allow you to monitor injector performance deltas combined with cancelling injectors one at a time will be helpful. Follow that with a compression test and repair as required if a base engine issue is identified. If not, then you are perhaps indeed looking at an injector concern.

#29 ·
An injector electrical self test is only going to help identify an electrical fault with the injectors, IDM or the harness. What you need to remember is that you are dealing with HEUI injectors and you have to consider oil control within the injector as well as fuel control within the injector...

Injector? Maybe. A base engine concern is also to be considered. The best way to approach this is to identify the cylinder(s) causing the vibration/misfire/low contribution. Having a scan tool that will allow you to monitor injector performance deltas combined with cancelling injectors one at a time will be helpful. Follow that with a compression test and repair as required if a base engine issue is identified. If not, then you are perhaps indeed looking at an injector concern.
Bummer, I thought maybe bbasso was out of the woods. FordDoctor, makes sense.

#30 ·
Well I wouldn't call the coroner yet. He could have an injector issue, you just need to identify the cylinder(s) that is acting up. If its vibrating, something is not happing the way its supposed to. Remember, electronics are fine but at the end of the day, its still just "suck - squeeze - bang and blow." Is the problem rooted in one cylinder, multiple cylinders or all 8?

#32 ·
A scan tool that can read PID data which the majority will and an injector cut-off box made for the 7.3L that connects at the 42-way connector.

#36 · (Edited)

I have an AE , and for the $$ I paid, I'm not real thrilled about it. It reads most of stuff your phone app does, & will do buzz test. Some stuff like the Scan Gauge doesn't read. like fuel pressure, fuel pump, etc.. The AE has listings for quite a bit of items , but no reading shows. Maybe because its a van or 1999? Ford proprietary codes? It will not isolate fuel feed to cylinder/s. Maybe it's me the operator, with lack of knowledge of doing so.( AE not user friendly as I would like it to be.) Call AE, maybe there's a newer version that does more? Wish I were more help to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.