Lemon??V8 6.0 fuel issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lemon??V8 6.0 fuel issues

I have a 2004 Ford Diesel E 350 V8-6.0 Turbo, with 165000 miles on it. I have had it serviced recently for routine oil, Trans filter, brakes and coolant flush, the shop mention the coolant was low and dirty. After the service the van is a rough start, some white smoke when I start and for the 1st few minutes of driving, long shifting times from gear to gear. Now the 2 issues that stand out are the rough start and idle for the 1st little bit, and the hesitation when I accelerate early in the drive cycle, then the hesitation will be more noticeable when driving at a faster speed when I accelerate. I have replaced the ERG cooler Valve and crankshaft sensor, 10 months ago, and had the transmission had been reprogramed. I have always seemed to have issues with the shifting, slow accerlation, but once the truck warms up the shifting is smoother, and is slow to get up and go. I donít see white smoke other than the start up after its been sitting for a while, but the rough idle and hesitation in accerlation, has me concerned. What areas should I be concerned the fuel filter (changed last year), injectors or any other ideas? I would like to keep the Van, but have invested lots of $$ just concerned if I should keep it or move to a gas van.

Thanks for your input.
atcherservice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
The Turbo has variable vanes that can clog up or Rust if you don't drive it enough...I would drive it HARD every now and then and do not idle it like a 7.3...clogs it ( unison ring ) ....If you are going to keep it I would delete the EGR valve and get a coolant filter installed ASAP..... along with upgrading the exhaust and Intake filter ...Upgraded FICM would not hurt either......Swamp's Diesel Performance
BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone

Last edited by blageurt; 02-26-2013 at 04:53 PM.
blageurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Unfortunately your low/dirty coolant, combined with your smoke and drivability symptoms tells me you almost certainly have a cracked EGR cooler. This means your engine oil cooler is plugged as well. If you hooked up a scan tool, I bet your oil temps will be a good 30F degrees hotter than your coolant temp. Once you verify those temps, it means doing both coolers, and rebuilding the turbo (it rusts up fast once the EGR cooler cracks, the sticking is what causes hesitation, loss of power, etc). This is a VERY common job combination for the 6.0, and will run over $3,000 for the whole package.

Start with the oil temp/coolant temp check first before moving into fuel system diagnostics. But if you pay to have it done, have them check supply fuel pressure too. If it drops below 45 psi under full load, you probably have fuel system problems too.
Buckstop front bumper, Reunel rear w/ 20,000# reciever
250,000+
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

ficm voltage test .
john35mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Any codes? The fuel filters should be changed every 10K, very important. There's also an updated spring in the fuel bowl that needs to be changed. have to pull the fuel bowl to do this. And I agree, get a scanner on that thing to see whats going on!

ujointoffroad.com

Last edited by Ujoint; 02-28-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.