The Diesel Stop banner

Maintenance time, suggestions and comments please.

33K views 288 replies 19 participants last post by  bbasso 
#1 ·
So... in the next few weeks I want to start doing some maintenance on my 7.3 PSD. A mere... 124,000 miles on the 2001.

I know I need all the ball joints, brake pads- which would you suggest? (I'm a slow and careful driver that doesn't tow anything.)

Water pump and all the coolant system hoses and?

I 'should' replace my oil pan, it was badly dented before I bought the Van, but hasn't leaked or caused a problem... But is there a larger capacity or an oil pan that would be better than the stock?

I'd very much like to do both UVCHs and possibly the glow plugs while there?

Now here is a few Q's for you...

Is there any parts that I've mentioned that could be possibly upgraded (such as better quality/performance/MPG) AND are there other parts that I should strongly consider while I have it apart?
Is a HPOP something I should replace? if so what with?
Transmission service, is it as simple as drain and fill? or should I upgrade is some way?

Since so few parts are "cheap" I've already started to save some $ and I'm betting I'll need a lot more $$$ LOL

My new job (as mechanic) allows me all the tools and machines at my disposal after hours, so I'll be doing all the work myself. :thumbsup:

thank you for tossing some knowledge my way!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ball joins, get moog with grease fitting. I've found them cheapest on ebay.

Break pads, get the EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads. Excellent performance with minimal squeal.

The oil pan, you sure about that? I've never worked on a PSD in the van, but pretty sure it's just like the IDI where you have to pull the engine to get it off. If it's not leaking I would just leave it. Other wise it's pull the engine and then you may as well do a whole other laundry list of items while it's pulled.

#4 ·
I wish I had the availability of downtime with my van, I would tear things apart and redo them. but doesn't seem to be too many problems if it all other than maintenance related stuff.

#14 ·
fwiw...the top on a can of spray paint fits perfect in the resonator hole in the air box...

pm for for info on permanent mount...ran one of those suckers for a number of years b/4 my present set-up

#6 ·
bbasso, it's a 2-1/2" hole, home depot has plastic plumbing plugs that I'm told work great and are a couple bucks.

#8 ·
Rob,
I bought the Lower Radiator Hose from AC Delco, it's made in the USA and the Professional series for a good price on Amazon. The upper Hose was the Motorcraft
I bought and it;s made in Mexico and the hose is slightly thinner than the AC Delco.
I will go AC Delco for the top if I can find one in time.

Remember to change and flush your Power Steering fluid, I posted in my thread about how to do it, youtube vid. And your Brake Fluid, The Vans are rated for Dot3-4, Valvoline has a case os 12 oz Full synthetic Brake Fluid for 33.00, that's 1 gallon and 16 oz. of fluid. A great deal.

I also found the Green rubber belt, ACDelco K081362HD Specialty Fleetrunner Heavy Duty V-Ribbed Serpentine Belt , mine has the dual alternator. This belt is what they use in the Fire Dept on the 7.3L vehicles. They make them for single alt as well.

Marks tranny fluid change instructions are the best, remember to remove your pan magnet and clean all sides of the round magnet, clean the inside of the pan with brake cleaner or something. Some people don't even clean them. I believe your van has the plug in the torque converter to drain the converter. When you open the window for the plug, you may need to turn the engine crank 15/16" wrench to line up the converter plug for draining. Let the thing drip as long as you can.

I have a new motorcraft water pump to install, the casting inside has a few burrs that need to be filed, then cleaned. I'm using one of Bob's 203 degree thermostats. Check for cavitation behind the waterpump to the engine block when you remove the pump. There is an extra port/plug in nthe waterpump for either a coolant filter feed or a water temp gauge.

I'm saving the NOS old black CPS units if you ever want one.

Take pics iof you can, I will be taking pics of my restoration for the members to see.

We don't have many pics of the vans worked on.

All the best,

#9 · (Edited)
thank you guys I appreciate all the help very much!
luckily at the shop I work at I have every tool possible and if I don't have a tool my boss is willing to buy it just to make a job done easier. I will try to take pictures as things progress, but there is no promise because once I start getting into the mechanic mode I don't usually have a clean hand to snap pictures with.
and yes I do have a dual alternator setup, and yes I will be purchasing your CPS one day in the somewhat near future, I just need to save that extra money.
hey Mark K. would you recommend any particular transmission fluid? I haven't read your instructions yet, well I did a long time ago but haven't recently so I forgot... And I will be installing a transmission cooler to help keep the temperatures down although the highest I've seen so far in my current van is 180. I did notice in my previous van when I had a large transmission cooler mounted behind the rear axle, it removed a lot of heat from the front of the van and let the motor run a little bit cooler. I know that sounds strange and I'm sure I had a picture on the website somewhere but what I did was I ran a 6.l liter transmission cooler mounted to the frame underneath the floor behind the rear axle. with that transmission cooler set up I never ever saw above 150 degrees between East Coast flats, West Coast mountains, winter and summer. I do understand the faults that can have by not getting rid of moisture but when I do drive it's usually plenty of time to get rid of excess moisture.

#10 ·
for ****s and giggles I ordered 2 hood vents on Amazon for $10 the other night. I'll post pictures of my process of cutting holes in the hood and mounting them. I believe they are approximately 10 inches by 4 inches, so not the biggest vents but then I'm hoping just to relieve some heat from underneath the hood.

#12 ·
thank you Mark, would I get longer service intervals with the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF? the reason why I ask is I get plan ol transmission fluid at work for cost...

#16 ·
IIRC, Brian from BTS told me 100k intervals, & 1'm using the mobil 1. FWIW

#15 ·
if you want to cut down on heat under the hood invest in a turbo blanket. most of the heat is radiated from the turbo.

#20 ·

For sure, and the Downpipe and the Up Pipes, I wrapped mine with 2" heat tape. The Thermo-Tec is more expensive than the DPI Brand, the DPI does just as good , be sure to soak it in water a bit before the install and wear rubber gloves so the fiberglass splinters don't stick you. I like the safegrip gloves, they fit tight and are thick enough to protect.

#21 ·
Rob,

I'm using the Mobil 1 full synth ATF on my change now, Amazon has the best deal, 56.00 for 6 quarts or 9.33 a quart. I bout the sale fluid a week ago and it was 59.00.

Be sure to drain your torque converter plug and clean your magnet on the bottom of the pan.

They make a nice deep pan for the 7.3 4r100, it's 124.00 and very popular. Has a drain plug on the bottom and ports for a trans sender unit, Two ounces shy of 8 quarts over stock. (7qts 30oz). [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Derale-14208-Transmission-Cooling-and5R110W/dp/B004XONSX0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1432663062&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=7.3L+deep+transmission+pan+Derale+4r100[/ame]

#22 ·
They make a nice deep pan for the 7.3 4r100, it's 124.00 and very popular. Has a drain plug on the bottom and ports for a trans sender unit, Two ounces shy of 8 quarts over stock.
Other than a lighter wallet, what are the benefits of a deeper pan? I can't come up with a single one. It's not going to cool the fluid. It will take longer to heat up, but by the same method it will take longer to cool, too. So what have you gained? They do look pretty cool.

And I can't come up with a worse place to put the temp sender, either. Reading the pan temp will ALWAYS give you the coldest temperature anywhere in the transmission. The pan temp can lag a heated up transmission by quite a bit of time, and a large amount of temperature.

#23 ·
I was just about to add that transmission pan to my cart on Amazon until I read your comments Mark...

in the description it says it lowers the temperature is 20 to 50 deg, if that's true that's a plus. I would assume having more transmission fluid would make for longer service intervals...?
I read my transmission temperature from my torque pro app. so I wouldn't bother with adding a mechanical temp gauge to that pan.

#24 ·
If getting cooler temps was the goal, I might get a better cooler, than a deeper pan, like Mark said... And then add the spin-on filter kit from Dieselsite while you're at it, also before getting a deeper pan. (Besides, if you increase the capacity of the trans, you'll have to change the trans flush instructions to account for that...!)

#25 ·

I got two rear doors off CL last night for $42
When i get pop out glass from the junk yard I'll install the doors... a little extra ventilation never hurts.

#100 ·
What are you talking about now? You are planning on installing the windows that can open in the rear? Can those type of windows be installed in these newer doors without mods? Also, i thought Ford did away with the rear opening windows because all you get is exhaust in them. It doesn't pull any air out of the van, all it does is push exhaust in the rear windows. My windows open in the rear, when i open them all i smell is exhaust.

#26 ·
First of all the turbo blanket is a waste of money it will NEVER get that hot unless you run Stage 1 Injectors....Everything Mark K. says is true....As far as the resonator goes you need a 2" PVC /ABS pipe about 3 " long with the corresponding Cap...you glue it together and Install it... Te hood scoop idea is retarded....Unless you Install a true Cold Air Intake you are wasting Money and Time...If you want my drawings PM me your email and I will send them to you....

#27 ·
what kind of drawings?

#28 ·
down here in sunny Florida, I think releasing the trapped in heat under the hood is a very good idea to hopefully prevent premature aging of the softer materials. besides for 10 bucks it might look pretty cool

#30 ·
It is like 4 pages.....And I send them original so ....can you handle the download ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.