Are Parking garages a standard height? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2003, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are Parking garages a standard height?

I ask this because I'm always wonder whether the van will fit in certain garages, on time it was so close the antennas were hitting on every cement support. It was about to touch the roof. But there are some parking garages at school and they seem even lower.. but I'm not sure, they say the clearance is 7 feet, that's for the second level anyways, the first level is 8foot 2inches. But you'd think they'd make all garages capable of fitting the most popular van in America. I mean... there are a ton of people that drive these so why would they make garages that didn't fit them?

So yeah.. anyone have any idear on this? Also what is the height of a stock van? I went and measured but didn't quite have a tape measure so i used a stick, i got about 6foot 11inches.

Ford 1992 E-350, 6,900 lbs.
Dodge 1997 Ram 3500
Ford 2005 F-350
yaric008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Are Parking garages a standard height?

No.

Edit:
Well, maybe.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (109)

Eric
No two garages are the same height, there should be a sign on entry which will say what the lowest clearance is on that level, got to pick up on watching for the signs before getting in line to enter.

These heights could change higher or lower as you go up or down so you have to be alert. For sure get the van measured correctly front and back, mark it somewhere so its visible when needed. Also take into consideration the aerials, no need ruining a $100 cb antennae.

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
cdnsarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)

The height is one thing - however, even if you fit under the clearance bar that the put at the entrance, be very careful not to get into a position where you get your van wedge under something. Due to the length of your van, you may fit under the height resriction, but hit when the front wheels are going up or down - it's all geometry...

I usually suck up my pride and have a friend get out to chack if I am unsure - better safe than sorry 0 hitting concrete would really ruin my day...

99.5 F-250 CC LB 4x4 7.3 Red
Trail Boss Replacement Bumpers, Tool Box, Headache Rack, Full Length Running Boards, BFG AT/KO 285/75x16E, 2003 Cup Holder, Marinco Heater Plug, Weather Tech Rain Vents / Hood Guard, B&W GN Hitch, X-Springs, Rear 4" F350 Blocks, Hellwig front and rear sway bars, Airlift / Wireless, Duraflaps

Isspro A-Pillar Gauges, Isspro TTM, Ford AIS, Magnaflow 3.5" DP - 4" Exhaust, Garrett GTP38R Turbo, Turbo-Master, High Flow Outlet, Non EBV Pedestal, IH Up-Pipes, DS 203 degree Stat, OA, BTS Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP-Tuner F6, FRX, Cass Stage 1s, T500 HPOP, DieselSite HPX

99 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3 White
Ranch Truck, Ranch Hand brush Guard, Original Cup Thrower, DP-TUner F6, 4" Turbo Back Magnaflow, AIS Intake, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, Ford 4R100HD, CM Flatbed

Autoenginuity
Flywheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

I estimate mine at near 7 foot 6 inches, probably at the antenna which I use as a "feeler gauge". I fit easily under 8 foot limits, but won't attempt anything lower unless I can see it in relation to my antenna (which is about 2 inches higher than the roof).

Of course, new tires and wheels will change all of this... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
2001 E350 PSD, Deep Emerald Green, 3.55 LS, Premium package, dual alts, rear A/C. Quigley 4x4, Transfer Flow rear tank (27+26), handicap mods, custom interior, Reunel tire carrier w/ Hi-Lift, Sportsmobile nerf bars (black), Amsoil lubes and Dual-Gard bypass oil filter, Amsoil air filters, Eclipse/JL Audio sound system w/ Sirius & 120GB Neo Car Jukebox (MP3 player), J&J stainless grill, Reunel Stainless bumper, 12000# Warn winch, PIAA lights, Bilstein shocks, Ultra Magnum wheels, Michelin tires (265/75-16), Correctrack rear wheel spacers, Bushwhacker flares (painted), Velvet-Ride spring shackles, p/s filter, external tranny and coolant filters, Autometer gauges(5), Optima Yellow Tops, Airdog.
msnunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Well i went to the airport today and was forced to go in a parking garage that had a 7 foot clearance... it fit fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Ford 1992 E-350, 6,900 lbs.
Dodge 1997 Ram 3500
Ford 2005 F-350
yaric008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
Well i went to the airport today and was forced to go in a parking garage that had a 7 foot clearance... it fit fine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just simply avoid them ... not worth the chance since we're usually talking about an inch or two within 7 feet which is about the height of my van. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Larry
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

No one has a roof rack like I do? Thule.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2003, 09:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

I have a roof rack, pop top, 31" tall tires and a 2" suspension lift... I'm closer to 9' tall and that's if I deflate the rear airbags!!!!

youngster
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]2001 E-350 SuperDuty<font color="green"> 2wd Sportsmobile, <font color="green">BTS Trans, <font color="green">ITP VAN SPECIFIC fuel system mods,3.5" DP with 4"exhaust, 3 pos "Bill's" chip, Autometer Phantom gauges, Baldwin pre pump filter assembly, <font color="green">Reunel bumpers, Warn 9k winch, PIAA lights, Goodyear Wrangler AT/s tires (265/75 R16), Firestone airbags, <font color="green">Con-Ferr roof rack, Bushwacker Fender flares, <font color="green">Correctrack rear wheel spacers, Rancho 2" lift, </font><font color="orange">PHOTOS</font>
youngster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2003, 01:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

haha nice one
Old 11-14-2003, 02:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Most are 6'6"-7' high.

The only "standard" I've found seems to be "2 inches lower than whatever I'm currently driving".
------------------------------------------------
GO, RED SOX!
Johnny96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

The only "standard" I've found seems to be "2 inches lower than whatever I'm currently driving".

Yup....I agree with that 100%. I work over in NY city and there isn't a single parking garage over there that I can fit in....well....maybe there's one or two but I haven't found them yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2003, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

There are no standards for garage heights. You can't really trust the restrictors at the entrance either. The last van I had carried a big scar on the roof to prove it. Nope, I did not do it, just had to deal with it...

I have found the solution is to make sure at least one flexible antenna is a few inches higher than the tallest spot on the van and use it as a vertical curb feeler.
DivinDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

I was able to get mine to fit in the garage at home by putting drop shackles on the rear and pulling the roof rack off. I usually avoid parking garages unless they have at least a good eight feet or so of clearance. Way too many variables so I usually stick to surface lots.

Here at work the building, the one I manage, I have hung a 8" piece of pipe at the entrance and see people rolling under it constantly but I actually hung it a good 10 inches lower just to give me a margin of safety. Even my own van won't fit. But a year or so ago an extended chevy van came in with a full load of phone books. After they unloaded them guess what happened, it popped back up several inches an on the way out it hit a dozen or so fire sprinkler heads and damaged the ceiling in several spots. The bonehead driver should have stopped and let some air out of his tires. I ended up hitting his insurance company up for several thousand dollars, new sprinkler heads, ceiling tiles, grid, cleanup and labor. Even the van had a grand or so worth of damage.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.