please help quiet my 03 E350 7.3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
please help quiet my 03 E350 7.3

I have a 03 E350 7.3 that I recently bought.

I expect diesel engines to be loud, but there is a resonant exhaust type sound that is driving me crazy when cruising, especially at 60 mph. Is there any way to quiet this down?

I removed the intake resonator when I serviced the van, would that do it? It doesn't sound like intake noise, but before I go through the trouble of putting that back on and test driving the van I thought I'd ask here.

Would adding an additional exhaust resonator help? Its stock exhaust and intake. Everything is stock.

Have you guys done other things like added more sound deadening in the drivers compartment?
bikesandcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

is it a cargo van? for a long trip, i just put down some rubber floor mats and the difference was amazing. really cut down on the exhaust noise.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its a regular sized cargo. It has the stock rubber floor in the front and back. The back has plastic panels on the walls with (thin) insulation sheets between.

It seems like most of the noise is coming from the engine compartment, not the rear. The road noise is actually quite good, I think those panels help a lot.

You suggest rubber mats on top of the already rubber floor?

Has anyone used dynamat? are there things I can do to the engine to make it quieter?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
Was it noisy before you took off the engine cover inside? My 1999, when I put the cover back, I couldn't get it to close correctly. Maybe there's a leak on yours and the sound is coming in. On mine, if I push on the cover while driving, I completely get rid of the noise. I'm thinking I may have bent the locking tab on the driver side so it's not sealing correctly.... that or the rubber just isn't soft enough any more.....
1983 F-150 2x4, 4.9L, C-6 w/GV-OD, 3.55 Farm pickup
1981 C-8000, 3208 CAT, RT-6510, Rockwell SSHD Tandems (Swap)
1981 VW Rabbit Pickup 1.6L diesel (project)
1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L diesel (project)
1977 K100C, NTC-350, RT-1110, Tandem
1977 Transtar II, NTC-290, RT-9509 Single
1977 Transtar II, Formula 290, RT0-9513, Tandem (project)
1974 C-750, 391CID, Clark 5 speed, Eaton 2 speed
Kaliburz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

You think yours is bad? My '96 was way louder than my '98 is. The difference between the two is phenomenal.

There's quite a number of different sound proofing products you can use. I would suggest getting something and lining the inside of the doghouse of it. Just make sure it can take a little bit of heat and the adhesive won't come unstuck under conditions. Another poster here said he wrapped his exhaust and turbo up pipes and downpipes with some stuff made by a company called Turbotec with good results.

1998 E350 Club Wagon XLT 12 passenger extended, 7.3 PSD, 3.55 rear, 381,000+ KM's. Parts van.

1996 E350 Club Wagon XLT 12 passenger, 7.3 PSD, 3.55 rear, K&N air, Eagle Alloys, Super Duty Telescoping Tow Mirrors, Fumoto Oil Drainvalve, TomTom Go720 GPS; otherwise dead stock. 236,000+ miles. - RIP

1981 Mercedes 300SD - 287,000+ KM's, 16" ASA wheels, Euro lights, late 80's leather interior, etc. Future biodiesel beauty.

1983 Mercedes 300SD - 560,000+ KM's - parts car
RockinOnDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have an 03, I used Dyna matt throughout the van as well as a bed rug liner kit which I highly recommend. I added a 4" exhaust and plan on wrapping the turbo and down pipe as well as re insulating the dog-house.
MikeZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Greetings Friend:
First check the exhaust System, Inspect same, See if you still have the factory muffler.
A lot of us have installed 4" exhaust systems w/"FLOWMASTER" mufflers.
If this is the case YOU WILL GET (sweet) NOISE!!
Removing that resonater add's to the noise.
Also depending on where you live the fuel you are getting will have an effect.
Example, I take on fuel from time too time from Calif. which has extreamely low sulfer and oil content...Eng. rattles like the devil.
I cross over into Mexico and fill up this problem go's away.
I started adding 2 cycle oil to the fuel...1 oz per gal. the past few weeks this works very well for the local fuel....(see related post on this site).
If you have the time, Look up "LARRY'S SECRETS" there is a great deal of info. on Exhaust drone.
Have Happy New Year and Good Luck.
2003, E-350, XLT, Chateau, 7-Pass. Club Wagan, 7.3L PSD, 3:55 LS Rear, SuperChips, Wix Air Filter, Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass Oil filter, Sirius Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SuperCrewzer, AutoMeter (Pyro. Trans. Boost)Gauges, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, Sonnax valve & Tricululator springs, PML Alum. Tran's Oil Pan, Tru-Cool 4739 Tran's Cooler, ScanGuage Monitor, DAHL 100 Fuel Filter, "Last of the 7.3's".
USMC-(Ret).

You Can't Always Get What You Want, But If You Try Some Times You Just Might Find, YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.
anash13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
There is a silver mat that can be used to line the so called dog house, that made a difference.
It comes in a roll, that on one side you have to peal off the backing to make it stick.
Now what was the name of it.......
I know that I bought it here in Alaska at a place called West Coast Marine back in 03' for just under $80.00

Out side of that get a good sound system, good tunes , and pump the volume.
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

thanks guys, great hints.

The doghouse seems to be sealing ok, I press on it and the drone / noise doesn't change.

I'll look into that exhaust wrap, it might have the additional benefit of lower temps, allowing more insulation without fear of melting.

Its all stock exhaust. I was thinking of adding a resonator to the stock system for even more effect, but i don't seem to be getting exhaust noise from the rear, more from the engine compartment directly, so maybe thats not my problem. Did you get much more power / economy with the 4" exhaust?

I've seen dynamat hood liner on ebay for about $60 bucks so maybe i'll try that too.

I'll take some pictures and let you know how it goes. I don't have a db meter so I'll have to just give my impression of the improvements.

I never thought of the fuel, shouldn't the ECU correct for differing fuels? I've been adding winter fuel additive, maybe that contributes? I'll try not putting the additive in and adding a little two-smoke oil, it couldn't hurt right?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

On my computer I didn't get one good link from "Larry's Links" New little secrets thru 07/30/05

they were all dead or defaulted to a truck equipment supplier list
Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesandcars View Post

I removed the intake resonator when I serviced the van, would that do it?

Shure Will!!!

Bill
MADVAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
The sound of a Diesel engine.....

One either loves it or hates it.

If one does not like it, one should not have a Diesel.

And look out if one changes to a 4" exhaust..

Like the sound of a Hog on the open road.. music.
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 06:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

Try sending "Larry" a message He can tell you how to get to the link
2003, E-350, XLT, Chateau, 7-Pass. Club Wagan, 7.3L PSD, 3:55 LS Rear, SuperChips, Wix Air Filter, Fleetguard LF-9027 Bypass Oil filter, Sirius Satellite Radio, Garmin GPS, SuperCrewzer, AutoMeter (Pyro. Trans. Boost)Gauges, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back Exhaust, Sonnax valve & Tricululator springs, PML Alum. Tran's Oil Pan, Tru-Cool 4739 Tran's Cooler, ScanGuage Monitor, DAHL 100 Fuel Filter, "Last of the 7.3's".
USMC-(Ret).

You Can't Always Get What You Want, But If You Try Some Times You Just Might Find, YOU GET WHAT YOU NEED.
anash13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapsdvan View Post
The sound of a Diesel engine.....

One either loves it or hates it.

If one does not like it, one should not have a Diesel.

Like the sound of a Hog on the open road.. music.
I agree. I love the general diesel sound and the turbo diesel benefits, just looking to quiet the old porker for the longer highway trips.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapsdvan View Post
There is a silver mat that can be used to line the so called dog house, that made a difference.
It comes in a roll, that on one side you have to peal off the backing to make it stick.
Now what was the name of it.......
Thermotec makes something like that or DEI. Check out this link:

Design Engineering DEI 050501 - DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I used something similar, although I can't remember who made it. I lined the inside of the dog box to cut down on some of the heat. It made a noticable difference although I'm not sure about sound, it must have helped some.

On Edit:

I'm pretty sure this is what I used:

Design Engineering DEI 050502 - DEI Floor and Tunnel Shields - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Oogs
Aluminess Front/Rear Bumpers.
125W Solar Panel.
Sportsmobile Trailer on 285/75R16 BFG AT/KO tires w/ dual deep cycle marine batteries, water pump, 10 gal water storage, air compressor, storage box & 15W Solar Panel.
SnowMan Mod / Door Seal Mod
"Blue Spring" Upgrade

Last edited by ridintall; 01-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.