Transmission Install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Install

I posted this under 7.3 Engine and Drive Train but no one has answered and I almost always get more response from my fellow van owners so I am re posting this here.

Any advice and tips would greatly be appreciated here. For the 1st time ever I have dropped the E4OD transmission out of my van. I have a guy rebuilding it and it is supposed to be done tomorrow. I am in need of the following information or the location where I can get it:
1. Torque specs for the six bolts from flywheel to torque converter
2. Torque specs for the bell housing to diesel engine
3. Torque specs for the transmission support brace frame bolts
4. Torque specs for the transmission support brace transmission bolts (bolts bracket to support brace)
5. Torque specs for the transmission support bracket bolts (bolts bracket to transmission)
6. Torque specs for bolts for drive shaft to differential
7. Torque specs for starter mount bolts
8. Torque specs for torque converter inspection plate (in inch or foot lbs.)
9. Torque specs for transmission pan bolts

Other information:
1. What transmission fluid should I used?
2. How much transmission fluid will approximately be needed?
3. Should I pre fill the torque converter before installation? (If so, what is the Torque spec for the fill bolt on the torque converter?)
4. Any suggestions/helpful hints in putting this back together?
5. Lastly, I saw a video on a Chevy transmission flush where after the transmission oil went back in they would start the vehicle, run through Park (wait 5 seconds), Reverse (wait 5 seconds), Neutral (wait 5 seconds), Drive (wait 5 seconds), 2 (wait 5 seconds), 1 (wait 5 seconds), and then back up waiting five seconds between each again frequently checking transmission fluid level while running. Is this the same series for the E4OD?

Thank you all ahead of time for the help….

Dan
1997 E-350 7.3 Diesel high top conversion van. DP Tuner chip with stock, tow 60, economy 80, and HP 100 tunes. IssPro A pillar gauge cluster with tranny, EGT (pre turbo) , and boost. 4 inch exhaust, AIC, IssPro Turbo Temp Monitor auto shut off [like a turbo timer but based off of EGT (post turbo)]. Gear Vendors overdrive in front of a Dana with 4.10 gears.
dcostello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcostello View Post
1. What transmission fluid should I used?
Use any fluid with a MERCON V rating. Your choice on synthetic or non-synthetic.
Quote:
2. How much transmission fluid will approximately be needed?
18-19 quarts.
Quote:
3. Should I pre fill the torque converter before installation? (If so, what is the Torque spec for the fill bolt on the torque converter?)
No, you should not. The torque converter is probably going to be seated when you get the trans. Removing it is just asking for problems that could get very expen$ive.

After the trans is bolted in place pour 8 quarts of fluid down the dipstick tube. Let the engine run for one minute then shut it off. Add six more quarts, then restart and let it idle to warm up. You have several quarts left to top off. It will need several of them.

Here is how to flush this transmission. You don't need to do it now, everything is new. Changing ATF: 7.3L PowerStroke Engine and 4R100 Automatic Transmission.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
All numbers are lbs.-ft.
1. 25-34
2. 39-53
3. 50-71
4. 59-81
5. no idea ....I would use 65 and some good thread locker
6. 15-24
7. 20-34
8. 12-17
9. 10-14
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mark, the torque converter was purchased separately from ford. So it is ready to get mounted. I am wondering if it is easier to mount it to the transmission first or the flywheel first.

Blageurt, thanks for the torque specs but those seem like pretty wide ranges. Is there something more specific? Or do I max them because we are talking about the highest torque engine that ford offers in 1997?

Thank you all again for the help....

Dan
1997 E-350 7.3 Diesel high top conversion van. DP Tuner chip with stock, tow 60, economy 80, and HP 100 tunes. IssPro A pillar gauge cluster with tranny, EGT (pre turbo) , and boost. 4 inch exhaust, AIC, IssPro Turbo Temp Monitor auto shut off [like a turbo timer but based off of EGT (post turbo)]. Gear Vendors overdrive in front of a Dana with 4.10 gears.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It's nearly impossible to mount it to the flywheel and then install the transmission. I don't think that can be done and have a functioning unit.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
That is what my Ford CD says.... I always go for the middle number plus 1 or 2 lbs-ft. You can go max if you want as long as you are in that area it should be OK ...
95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M aluminium Trans pan , Twin HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP flashed 60 Tow , 140 V idm , Autometer Triple pod , Bridgestone /Hankook
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exhausts , Bridgestone
blageurt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, the transmission is in. It was a lot more work than what I thought but we will see how it goes when I completely get it running. I forgot to order a gasket for my Gear Vendors adapter so I am overnighting that today. All I have left is to mount and connect the gear vendors OD and the drive shaft, start it and top off the transmission fluid.

One question on connecting/adjusting the shift cable and electronic module that slides on over the shift lever. What are you looking for to adjust these? Just make sure that it hits every gear when shifting on the column? I saw somewhere that you adjust the electronic module where in reverse the reverse lights come on, then tighten the adjustment bolts.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Dan
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
the shift cable is adjusted by disconnecting it at the trans end, putting a 5lb weight on the shift lever, adjusting the selector to the proper position, then reattaching the cable. or one less step in your case.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)

So I am going to be making the shifter adjustments tonight. So are you saying while I have a 5 lb. weight on the shift lever I will have my wife in the driver’s seat holding the column shifter in the middle of park and slide/snap the yellow adjuster on the shift cable into place? Is this correct?

And then am I correct on the electronic module adjustment using the reverse lights as an indicator of where to set the module?

Dan
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
no, you just weight the lever so it's held all the way over. getting the needle lined up is a separate adjustment.

not sure about the module, I would have to look that one up.

IIRC the lever is all the way into the "1" position when you adjust it. You also need to put the trans in that position before making your connection and adjustment.

You should scour eBay for factory service manuals, they are often available at a reasonable price.

Last edited by drinkypoo; 06-07-2011 at 11:43 AM.
drinkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well, all is in and I am driving around town with nice smooth shifts. It took 4 gallons of Mercon and seems to be doing well. One question I had was: Is the torque on the pinion flange to the drive shaft only 15-24 ft lbs. ? That just seems a little light.

Thank you all for all your help here!!! It is great!!!

Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just wanted to say that I have been driving around for a few weeks and things seem to be much better.

Thanks to all of you for the help!!!

I love this site!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.