Van versus Truck Motor differences 7.3, 6.0 diesel questions. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2003, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Van versus Truck Motor differences 7.3, 6.0 diesel questions.

Wondering if anyone would like to summarize the differences between the 7.3 and 6.0 diesel motors in the vans and the trucks.

1. Why does the truck motor produce more hp/torque and the van less? What does it have that makes it different than the van?

2. Does the van have the same motor with some parts missing or are they two differently built motors?

BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2003, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Van versus Truck Motor differences 7.3, 6.0 diesel questions.

I think the intercooler on the trucks is a key factor.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

My experience putting the 1999 7.3 ambulance motor into my 1975 Econoline taught me several things. Many things are common between the van and truck engines in that many of the brackets I had on my ambulance motor (from a dually van cutaway)were actually the pickup parts. When I wanted to add the Banks upgrades they only make them for the trucks. I bought the power pack kit anyway and have installed everything, but the intercooler which will go in over the winter. The turbo unit is the same outside on both, but the van version is lower output (smaller diameter inside). Side by side the van and pickup turbos look the same and bolt on identically. The turbine units are mostly different because the van doesn't have a wastegate. I picked up a used pickup turbo/turbine unit and gutted it to use the upgrade parts from Banks. It bolted onto my van engine just fine and works great. Using the Banks "Big Head" wastegate actuator connected directly to the air line on my map sensor it is dumping excess exhaust at about 25 pounds of pressure which Banks indicated it should. The remaining parts of the Banks Power Pack kit included a Trans Command unit to alter shifting (which hooked in the same on the van as a pickup) and new 3 1/2 downpipe and 4" exhaust. I had to slightly modify the pipe bends to fit in my van. I did it by cutting out small wedges of pipe and then re-welding it together when I needed a bend. Some restriction, but much better than the old downpipe (which is smaller stock on a van than a pickup)and the original 3" van exhaust.

1975 E100....Originally! Now has 1990 Body, E350 suspension, Dually 4:10 rear, Airbags, Full Banks Engineering upgrade including pickup turbo setup, wastegate and 4" exhaust. Soon to have intercooler! Engine, all wiring, all mechanics, dashboard, dog house, firewall, controls, engine tunnel and accesories from 1999 E450 Ambulance. Pictures
http://www.vannin.com
BoneHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

The 2004 6.0 has an intercooler, but is limited electronically due to airflow issues in the engine compartment.
Buckstop front bumper, Reunel rear w/ 20,000# reciever
250,000+
carringb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.