Walls insulation in a cargo van - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Walls insulation in a cargo van

I finally spoted what I am looking for. I will need to "finish" the walls though. I want to insulate, put some kind of flexible but stiff enough sheet of something and finish it up with glued on carpet. I know about the Wise product but I find the price a little steep. I might use their wheel wells though.

It will be my everyday vehicule and I will have 2 captain seats for the kids.

For heating purpose, I was thinking about seperating the cargo space (starting behind the kids seat)with some kind of wall but with some kind of window to see at the back. Any recommended "glass" material ?

You guys have any experience you could share ?

Thanks !

Ben
MXBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Walls insulation in a cargo van

Check out this stuff for the walls and floor. web page
I've seen guys build dividers out of plywood, with a plexiglass window, then cover them with carpet or some type of fabric. I'm gonna try it without a divider wall first, and put the gas cans on a hitch platform. Pingel removeable wheel chocks will go in beteen the seat mounts, so I can put the rear seats back in when I need to. I'm getting stoked. I spoke to Quadvan about a 4x4 conversion also, seems like a reasonable thing to do.
serpexc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

hang onto your pocketbook when you check the price out for that interior kit - its about 800.00 US

Frank

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286001359
racerman_27410 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

Ben,

<font color="red"> HERE</font> is my DIY interior thread and pics are in <font color="red"> THIS ALBUM </font>.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

You da man Larry M !

Thanks a lot !

Ben
Old 01-08-2005, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
You da man Larry M !

Thanks a lot !

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess one issue was my use of the standard fiberglass home type insulation in the walls and cavities. I had a 1978 Ford Conversion Van that appeared to use the same insulation so I did the "monkey see" "monkey do" routine. I think the two potential issues were little sound insulation value and the potential for moisture to get trapped in there. My walls are not really sealed at the top so moisture should be able to escape and the lack of sound insulation value is a valid one, but I tried to address some of that with the laun wood, batting and rubber backed carpeting and even bare walled I didn't have any significant sound issues inside the Van.

One thing you do want to be careful of is not to use anything that might "off gas" like some of the finishes on this standard wood paneling, and maybe even some of this hard or soft "foam" type insulation.

Good Luck in your project [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Larry, keeper of the <font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2005, 07:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

What are the other options if I don't use home insulation ?

I might just skip the insulation and just cover the walls with louan and carpet. About the "off gas" product, is it regarding health or fire hazards ?

Thanks !

Ben
Old 01-22-2005, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I used 1.5 inch foam board from home depot. then covered that with 3/8 sanded plywood. you can cover that with fabric of your choice.

I tried to cut the foam as tight as possible between the braces.

and it might have been 3/4 or 1" foam on the roof.
(all deleted)
dumped in a system crash 12/3/03
Loc: Highlandville MO
1996 F-250 SC 4X4 PSD, 1973 F-250, 1979 F-600 crewcab,1994 and 1996 Broncos,2003 Mercury Marauder and assorted other vehicles...
We have enough youth... how about a fountain of smarts?...
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.