Water pump replaced - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

E-Series Vans Technical discussion of topics related to vans powered by any of the Navistar engines. This covers a broad number of years, but there isn't enough demand to split it any further.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water pump replaced

Van is at 112K now.
I replaced the water pump yesterday as it had started to leave a small puddle under the van after sitting for a few days. I swear to God, if I can go a whole month without discovering some new puddle under this thing I'm going to be worried all the fluids are gone.

Ordered water pump, t-stat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and a new plastic fan from Tousley. Saved something like $180 vs the local dealer. I'd replaced the serpentine belt not long ago, but if I hadn't it would have been a good time. I also put in a billet T-stat housing from Diesel Site that I'd had waiting around for just such an occasion.

After draining the radiator and removing the upper hose I removed the serpentine belt and removed the AC compressor and put it up to get the AC lines out of the way.
I got a set of fan clutch wrenches from Autozone, but it turned out they're for the gassers and of course the diesel is a different size. The holding wrench (the big one) is correct, but the fan wrench is too small (need a 46 mm I think). I got a larger "universal" set from Autozone, which had one that was close enough. With the use of cheater bars and the appropriate adjectives I was able to get the fan clutch loose (righty-tighty lefty-loosey for the 7.3L van).
After getting the fan free from the water pump per the service manual I removed the fan shroud and the fan together (more adjectives, neighbors don't let their kids play outside when I'm working on the van). It took some wiggling but it came out without huge hassle.
After that there's plenty of room and it was a simple nuts/bolts job, and I didn't have to pull the radiator out . Removed the pulley with the water pump still on the engine.
Total it was probably a leisurely 5-6 hr job.
There was some play in the shaft on the old pump. I replaced the fan because one of the blades was chipped, and I wasn't sure if that was causing to be out of balance enough to mess up the pump and I don't really want to do this again.

Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Autometer Phantom Boost, Transmission Temp, and EGT gauges
Powertrax autolocking rear diff.
Scangauge II xgauge
Dahl 75 Pre-pump fuel filter/water separator
Modified Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete and regulated return + post pump filtration.
Tow Mirrors
Spahl power remote door locks
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control
Sealed Beam to HID Headlight Conversion

Personal blog http://505live.com
505live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the nice write up.
Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi! Nice write-up, Thanks. Is the plastic fan better than the metal one? I have a '97 w/metal fan and I would like to know more about the benefits of the plastic fan. Steve
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

The plastic fan is what came on the 03 engine and maybe other years. I dont know if it has any benefits over a metal unit in moving air.

I do know that when I did my HPOP repair and changed out my water pump last year it had a cracked a blade and I replaced it just like 505 had to so maybe they get a bit brittle with time. It is not horribly expensive.
DivinDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure either why one would be better than the other. I do believe the fan clutch is integral to the metal fan, as the metal fan costs quite a bit more than the plastic one. If, for some reason, someone wanted to go to a plastic fan they'd also have to buy a fan clutch. I have no idea about the cross compatibility of the two for various applications though.
Centramatic Wheel Balancers
Autometer Phantom Boost, Transmission Temp, and EGT gauges
Powertrax autolocking rear diff.
Scangauge II xgauge
Dahl 75 Pre-pump fuel filter/water separator
Modified Sinister Diesel fuel bowl delete and regulated return + post pump filtration.
Tow Mirrors
Spahl power remote door locks
Dieselsite Max AC Assist
Added cruise control
Sealed Beam to HID Headlight Conversion

Personal blog http://505live.com
505live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > E-Series Vans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.