The Diesel Stop banner

2011 F-350 6.7L Sometimes Wont Start

17K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  WildBill11F350 
#1 ·
I have 1 2011 F-350 with the 6.7L Diesel that usually wont start when its cold. Has lots of battery power but the engine wont crank. if you flick the key on and off after a while it might start and it might not. Brough it to the dealership and they couldnt figgure it out and tryed to tell me it was the starter. But sometimes when it wont start if i hook the booster cables up to it, it'll start right away. Is there any kind of sensor that would short out that could cause this? Or what do you think might be the problem here?

#2 ·
Define: "has lots of battery power"

Have you load tested both batteries, independently?

If connecting jumper cables fixes the problem, it is not likely a starter issue.

#3 ·
This seems like one of those weird electrical "gremlins" that are hard to find. More often than not, it has to do with there being a poor connection somewhere, chaffed wire etc.

First thing to do is look at your battery cables. Are they clean? Nice and tight connection everywhere? Everything look grounded properly?

Secondly, I would agree with Viper...get the batteries load tested INDEPENDENTLY of one another. How old are they?

#4 · (Edited)
One thing I definitely learned over the years with dual battery setups-their condition does affect each other, especially when you need them both to crank that oil burner over. Check them independently. If you have a problem, we have had excellent service from Interstate batteries. Just had a gremlin come up on mine, dealer found the battery cable loose at the starter. Don't ignore the basics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.