The Diesel Stop banner

'2011 F550 Diesel engine seize!

21K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  edjunior 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 18 ford trucks all diesel 1997 up to 2016 all with dealer maintenance , oil and fuel filter changes every 2,500 to 3,000 miles . Dealer just did a reflash of my truck per a recall and oil change at 15,000 miles because I'm getting into my busy season and just didn't have time to bring in the fall for its regular service interval . Long story short 50 to 100 miles later driving the truck the other morning and it goes into regen and before it finishes the motor starts to rap . Had it towed to my ford dealer and they informed me it siezed and the motor was junk and my warranty was up in May of 2016 ? They told me it was going to be around 20K for a new motor unless Ford could see if it a castostrofic failure. Anyone with the same or similar problem I'm looking for advice or help .

#2 · (Edited)
The early 2011 6.7L engines have valve problems that result in catastrophic engine failure. Some details on the diagnosis would be helpful. If there were any glow plug circuit codes and damaged glow plug tips that would confirm that this type of failure is likely what happened to your engine. The failure occurs rapidly and typically the engine is physically locked. Please understand that this is only a guess from my end without having the truck in front of me.

If you are a good customer at you dealer, own many Ford vehicles as you stated, Ford might consider help with the repair seeing that your warranty just ended in the last 3 months. I suggest contacting Ford Customer Service to request assistance. YOU have to initiate the request. Not your dealer or though your dealer. The decision is totally Ford's to make as per their policies, your relationship with Ford and the diagnosis of the failure. You can call them at 1 (800) 392-3673 or send a PM to FordService who is a member here on the TDS Forums.

Reactions: PC 68 and aclasshog
#5 ·
The Gentleman's warranty expired by time - it has exceeded the 5 year coverage term.

#6 · (Edited)
Ahh jeez.
The regen timing initially sends me to ford doctor's valve or glowplug thinking. All 6.7 model years have some trucks that have valve guide to stem clearances that are too tight to allow for the thermal expansion that occurs during regen when the valve stem gets blast furnaced while open not allowing the heat to run across the valve face and heat sink into the valve seat and head material. The early models have glowplug tips that pop off and valves that cracked.
So your dealer should have tried rotating the crank both ways to see if there was a glowplug tip or piece of valve in the top of the combustion chamber preventing the piston from coming upto and past top dead center. The problem with this that such debris would obliterate the face of piston in almost no time but if shut off realitivly soon upon it occurring and a restart was attempted it might cause the piston from coming up and over TDC. Rotating both ways would reveal this. So is this the case or is it seized seized? Your tech needs to check.
Another very real problem with the 6.7s is snapped cranks and spun bearings. A spun bearing will often result in a full seizure. When a bearing does that you will experience a dramatic oil pressure loss as the pressurized oil washes past that bearing loosing pressure out of the lube circuit.
Your dealer needs to give you clarification as to what's going on and how they arrived at that. Most dealers are woefully inexperienced in engine failure analysis. The tech needs to do more as described including getting the oil filter and oil sample.
That many trucks ford might show you love.
Better luck in the future my friend ( diesel owner should not need luck )
Nick

#12 ·
Dealer service cares somewhat minimally. They would certainly preferr to get $125 hr with realistic book time vs. $80 and I believe about 20 hrs. ford's own labor book time in labor but the tech is taking the real brunt of that, not your service writer though he is on commission as well. They will understand you opened a case... Certain things in life work out sometimes they do not..
I'll tell you right now if the glowplug tip or a piece of valve cut loose ( used to be chicken or egg first as both failed and if either did it was a big problem ) Glowplug caused racket, some believed it took valve out.. Valve did crack and break ($9 and change valve)Your combustion cycle would have been interrupted on that cylinder causing a hard miss in addition to your noise.
The 6.7 has fractured cap ( don't even want to watch one being made ) the bearings have no locking tabs. You get debris in the combustion chamber like a piece of valve, that piston hits.. Cranks keeps pushing with upward and rotation force and its spinning that bearing.

#13 ·
Now that you say that the rapping come from the top end and it was running when they drove into the their shop , if they brought the RPMs up to high reving the motor not sure . When I got the call they said it would not turn over , sounds like they were not to concerned about doing more damage driving it in their shop .

#16 ·
Nearly all valves used in consumer engines like our 6.7 or nearly every passenger car engine are two piece. The valves in our motors, like the valves in probably every Ford diesel ever made are two separate pieces joined by friction welding or other methods. This is how we get sodium filled exhaust valves. The valve face and the stem are not of the same material by design. The early 6.7's had some manufacturing problems with the valves but this is not unheard of in any mass produced engine.
One piece valves are used in high end applications, racing motors and such. Machining a one piece valve out of stainless is very expensive. But there are hundreds of billions of two piece valves doing their jobs in nearly every consumer grade engine every made.
The stem is joined to the material used to made the face and then hammer forged into shape, then machined. Next time you have a valve in your hands have a close look. You will be able to see the machined area where the two were joined.

#17 ·
When a two piece valve lets go, it is not a small piece floating around. The entire face and portion of the stem fall into the combustion chamber. The damage is catastrophic and complete. Smashing the piston, bending forged rods, hammering out the crankshaft.
I have seen this in factory turbo gas motors. You wouldn't believe how torn up these motors were. And yes these were GM engines.
If this is what happened to the young engine in this thread, Ford already knows of the issue.
Even though it's out of warranty it would be nice to see some coverage.

#18 ·
Yet the early valve failure concern was corrected with redesigned cylinder heads... just sayin.

This post has been deleted
#20 · (Edited)
I would just like to say that being a very long time and loyal Ford customer for over 30 years and my farther who started this company back in 1959 who still to this day drives an F-350 pickup feels betrayed! As you all known my 2011 F-550 with 15,000 miles had a castostrofic engine failure after a Ford recall / reflash and now over a week later are they now saying they can give 2K to begin the engine tear down to see what was the cause . Which is causing my company downtime and loss, I basically have one the best dealer maintained fleets in Massachusetts, not to mention how many Ford vehicles, trucks , cars and SUVs we have purchased in the last 50 plus years , not just under my company name but my personal and family also . Basically I own a 70K paper weight that's been sitting in the dealer , in the morning when I open the doors to my shop and see all of those Ford trucks It makes me sick . And just to think I was getting ready to purchase a new 2017 pickup and F-550 for this next model year , Maybe it's time to change up ! If you ask me Ford should tear down this engine on there dime not mine because it's obvious it's not a big deal that my downtime , money wastefully spent and jumping through hoops to resolve this matter in a timely manner is not important. Sorry that I sound so bitter but I've spent over a million dollars in this dealership in new Ford vehicles plus service and parts and out of respect for everyone I'm trying to remain calm and not say what I really feel !!!! Any ones thoughts or opinions gladly appreciated.

Excuse me for saying so but I usually read these posts and think its posturing for the eyes of people from Ford. Just keep in mind that that kind of thing can work against you if it goes too far and I have witnessed it more than once. With that said I am sure we all understand your frustration and your need to vent... and I am with you on that as well.

My opinion, from someone at the dealership level and having been involved in cases this, is that you need to member that this truck IS IN FACT OUT OF WARRANTY and technically YOUR responsibility. I am thinking that if Ford is stepping up and offering to assist with $2000 toward the diagnosis they are giving you a good faith gesture and one that is rarely seen. I think they are being fair in wanting to determine whether the failure is indeed due to a defect and not neglect or abuse on your part. Once that is determined things can proceed one way or the other but not until that has been determined. That is fair after all, right? Now, if you have maintained the vehicle then it will hopefully play in your favor. Regardless, you would have to pay to diagnose and repair the engine anyway so let it play out. Be patient. If you are as loyal of a Ford customer as you say you are... I might anticipate positive news but do not expect 100% from them. But, it sounds like they ARE working with you. Betrayed? I think not.

#21 ·
Very mixed feelings on this. Doc is factually and for the most part " look at it this way " correct. Same time doc, we get a little conditioned to this.. You and I because both of our profession ( why independant for 17 hrs. Now ) have had something come up and rock our world. I feel this is the case here. We can take our licks..move to next job. This guy noted the feeling of seeing every morning same case scenarios. Doc, honestly... If he yard was always greeting you with the same every morning, not different vehicles, conditions ect.. Just say ten worst case comebacks in the same lot and it's groundhog day....Well.... If it's was presumed a 100k catastrophic or totally ragged out worn out typical gas motor from era pre 90s might be the norm don't charge that money for the option they don't even have the curtesy to paint the block like it was a 4 banger gasser in an economy car... Doc...not sure of your age or time in this business and to a degree it doesn't matter that much as I see 20 somethings on a regular basis that could almost spin the head..not quite for prime time and if taken out of the mono brand sign of on road vehicles or the equipment field...Theyde be in trouble,,but, you know they should not be blowing up like this..I've read your things and know you know what should and what should not be...
So that was a that thought..
Doing justice to doc's statement... Be cool hang tight.

#24 ·
Tomorrow there pulling the cab off , and from what I understand the engine will be next . I don't know what to expect nor do I know what I want them to find out when it comes apart . Just nervous I guess my dealer told me relax we'll see .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.