The Diesel Stop banner

'2011 fuel line to engine fuel filter replacement help

23K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  fomocotech 
#1 · (Edited)
After changing the engine compartment fuel filter today- the next fitting down on the in line, the yellow fitting was spraying diesel.

So I get the leaking fitting off, haul it to the ford house which sent me to another And I end up buying the entire fuel line to get the fitting I need. ($145)

The lazy guy in me wants to just cut off the fitting I need, put it on the only line and use a hose clamp to suck it down. Problem is, In order to remove it I put a slight cut in the line that I'm afraid will grow in time.

So I'm trying to get the fuel line out that that wraps around the rear of the engine. What a cluster bomb that is. Di I feed it from the top or pull it from the bottom?

Any tricks? Do I have to replace both fuel lines at the same time to make it work? ( they came together in the package)

. Any prompt help would be much appreciated.

Never thought my day of pm'ing my truck was gonna end up like this.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
The answer was through the bottom.
Turned out it was the other fitting on top.
Pos plastic parts.

I must hate time and money. :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

#5 ·
It's the back line of the bottom photo, page 53 of the Coffee Table Book, small line going down. Part # is BC3Z 9A564 B. Note the 'B', parts guy said he sold one last week. I'll post how the replacement goes, OO is not around to help. I have no doubt it's going to be a PIA. $175 list part.

#6 ·
The fitting you need to replace was only $80 ish at the dealer.

It is between the yellow connection and the fuel filter.
That one is real easy to do once you figure out how the quick disconnects work.

The new model you will buy is reinforced where the small line goes in to help it not break during fainter replacement

#8 ·
Sorry, no part number.
The ford parts guy said it was a fairly common replacemnt part though......yeah ford.

#9 ·
9B246A & 85 bucks. Saturday I went to pick up the part referenced before (9A564B), it's the whole harness. It wasn't the extra 90 bucks it was feeding that thing into every injector although it may come to that. Now I get to order this part in 1/2 hour and wait until Tuesday to get it. Get this though, the bigger dealer I looked at the harness - parts guy tells me they've sold 10 harnesses & 2 single piece (9B246A) in the last 11 months. So, A) this thing breaks frequently, B) this dealer stocks the harness & C) techs like installing the more expensive and labor intensive part. As far as I know techs are paid piece rate. Oh yeah, the two dealers had different parts schematics. Cost me time for parts and time driving around. The plus is the truck is in my shop instead of an intersection like last time.

#10 · (Edited)
The piece I should have replaced from the get go (and did in the end) is only about 3" long with a small lime (1/4" - 3/8") pointing down in the middle that the tubing connects to. It has quick disconnects of sorts on the other two ends.

Buying anything else was unnecessary, until I made it so by knee jerking and cutting the fuel line that runs from the frame mounted fuel filter.

I don't recall messing with anything I would refer to as a harness.

#11 ·
The piece I'm referring to is between the yellow fitting and the fuel filter.

The new piece came with a handy dandy techinal how to for the repair tech to read prior to replacing the faulty part.

Attachments

#12 ·
The instructions just say to cut the fuel line enough to get rid of the broken barb. The new piece just has an insert fitting which is strange considering the pressure(s) involved. It being 30 degrees at the time and the fuel line stiff I elected not to completely seat it. Could've but could've snapped it again. It took longer to purge the system than to replace the part.

#14 ·
Little help on how the yellow disconnect works! I broke that stupid little nipple on the return line off, bought the part using the handy dandy number further up this thread. Now how do you operate the yellow disconnect? It seems to slide straight up a little bit, but I can't get it disconnected.

#15 ·
Glad I have extended Warranty.
If mine breaks, Ford can come tow it and let me know when it is fixed. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.