2012 Engine Failure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Engine Failure

I've viewed this forum for many years and have learned a lot from everyone. I've had Ford diesels since 1999 and have always loved them and had great luck with them. I have owned only Fords for over 30 years now and have bought several brand new. I currently have a 2012 F350 Lariat Ultimate Powerstroke that I ordered brand new through Enterprise Fleet. I purchased the truck after the lease was up. I have been the only driver of this truck since it was delivered brand new. I have maintained the truck above and beyond requirements, changing the oil and filter every 5,000 miles since new. I have every service record, including oil sample results, since the truck was new. I am very picky about my vehicles and this one has been babied.

I currently have 106,211 miles on the truck. 3 weeks ago, my engine developed a knock while driving down the interstate and I had it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. I called Ford Customer Service and they created a case for my issue since it is out of warranty and led me to believe that they may offer some assistance. Metal shavings were found in my oil and my dealer had to pull the engine to find the source and report back to Ford Customer Service to find out what assistance Ford might offer. I found out 2 days ago that the diagnosis was a spun main bearing. They said the lower bearing spun completely? around and into the top bearing.

I had no choice but to have the dealer order a new long block since my motor was torn apart, cab off of the truck, etc. Today I received a call from my dealer saying that Ford is not going to offer any assistance because the truck was a fleet vehicle. I am not pleased with Ford at all. Both Ford Customer Service and my dealer say that there is nothing they can do because the Regional Service Manager has made her decision and the buck stops with her. They never even requested my service records. They won't allow me to talk to anyone except my local dealer Service Manager.

I realize that a 100,000 mile warranty means 100,000 and not 100,001 but it is still very hard to accept a complete engine failure with it being less than one service interval out of warranty. I can understand an injector or turbo or something but an $11,000 engine? Oh yeah, my radiator is leaking as well. At this point, I'm not even excited about getting my truck back since I now have to go back into debt again to drive it. I will be a month without my truck, on top of everything else, by the time it is fixed. I use my truck daily for work and up until now it has been the best truck I've ever owned. The whole thing just doesn't seem right to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM

My Photos: (29)
Garage
That sucks, but this is why I won't drive one of these trucks without a warranty.

2012 F350 4X4 Dually, FX4, Crew Cab, Ultimate Lariat Package, Oxford White, Black Leather towing a 2006 LE3905 Weekend Warrior

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I was hoping for more from this engine. That sounds like very good advice for the future. My 7.3 and 6.0 never failed on me.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mark,

Welcome to the forum and for describing your experience in an unbiased and matter-of-fact way.

Hopefully this will serve as a warning to future Ford truck buyers.

I woulld kick this up the chain through Corporate if it were me and I had the complete service history from Day One. The absence of any good faith effort on the part of the Regional Service Manager suggests they were advanced beyond their abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, AIH Delete, ScanGauge II, AIC, 2002 Headlights, Bilstein 4600, Marinco Mod, Cupholder Upgrade, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 160,000 miles.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, Bilstein 5100, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.