The Diesel Stop banner

'2012 F350 crew cab 6.7L oil temp

69K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  BradleyD95 
#1 ·
Ok so I recently bought a f350 6.7L Crew cab 95k miles on it, my question is when I tow my 2014 Springdale 32ft tow trailer weight about 11k lbs loaded my engine oil temp hit 260F when going up hill, I feel I still have a lot of peddle left and only going about 55-60 mph, is this temp normal? I've called 3 dealership and they all have said to keep it under 290F and I would be fine.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I tow a 14,000 lb trailer over many mountain passes. My oil tops out about 245. At 245 my coolant is usually more to the right than normal. That's about the time the cooling fan kicks in. Coolant and oil always seems to be proportional.

In your case the oil is much higher, but your coolant is lower.

Not sure what all that means, but this is my experience.

-Dan

#5 ·
Your oil unloaded should run about 197-199*.. I tow my 13k 5th wheel and see 215 or so on flat highway. Something is up with your truck, you should not be seeing 260*.

#6 ·
Yup, that's me too. 199 or so.
I'll bet a sensor is bad. If your oil was that hot, your coolant would be in the red area.

#7 ·
Yep, 197-200 around town.
You are running hotter than you should be.

I can tow my 14,000lb 5er up a 7% grade when it is 104F outside and I don't go over 240F for my oil temps.

#8 ·
Yep, 197-200 around town.
You are running hotter than you should be.
Ditto on mine too; I never see above 206°F unless I am towing and even then not anywhere close to the temps the OP is posting. Something seems to be "off" on the OPs truck.

#9 ·
You don't say if on cruise control or not, going uphill. Any speed increase, engine RPM will mean more heat, especially for the lube oil.

Ideally should be off cruise control, use foot petal, maintain constant speed, not accelerate uphill. Expect fluid temp climb but not to extreme numbers. I use the scheme and fluids not get "high".

#10 ·
I don't use cruise control at all when towing, I try and maintain speed but not to increase speed when going up hill. As far what type of oil is used, when I bought the truck the drealshp couldn't tell me when the last time it was changed which yes should have been a red flag for me, so when I got it back home I had ford change oil and fuel filter and top off def fuild,

#12 · (Edited)
UPDATE:: Ok I took it to a ford dealership had a diesel performance check done on it and everything checked out ok on the truck there are no faults or codes in the truck that says the EOT or the ECT temp have hit a max or set a code. They told me the range for the EOT is 250 +\-17. I asked if the oil cooler could be clogged they told me unlikely and that the diesel technician check it and the oil engine sensor as well and it came back ok. So at this point I'm not sure what to think.

Attachments

#13 ·
UPDATE:: Ok I took it to a ford dealership had a diesel performance check done on it and everything checked out ok on the truck there are no faults or codes in the truck that says the EOT or the ECT temp have hit a max or set a code. They told me the range for the EOT is 250 +\-17. I asked if the oil cooler could be clogged they told me unlikely and that the diesel technician check it and the oil engine sensor as well and it came back ok. So at this point I'm not sure what to think.
Confused on this.. The normal operating temp is as I stated 197-200 degrees.. that is 50 degrees off from what they are telling you which tells me what they are stating is a load of poo.

If it is 17+/- that would mean the normal operating temp is 233-267 and that's incorrect. Every one here has said the same thing in regards to what their trucks run.. about 200* unloaded.

Maybe FoMoCotech will chime in or you can PM him to see what he thinks since he is a Ford tech.

#17 ·
230 unloaded around town is way too hot.
Go to another dealer.
Something isn't right.

#18 ·
I have 1.6K miles on mine and after running for an hour or more in and out of 800' elevations unloaded, both engine oil and tranny stay within a few degrees of 200.

#19 ·
I know this is an extremely old thread but i am have the same exact issues. Hitting 210-220F driving around town not towing. Pulled a rented uhaul bike hauler and a 500lb. Bike and saw temps as high as 252F. No alarms or codes popped up. I. Driving in the Vegas area. Ambient temps are 95-114F. I have a 2011 f250 6.7 4 door lariat. 130,000 miles. Did anyone ever come up with a solution? Sorry for beating the dead horse. Ive been searching forums and have found nothing that helps.

#20 ·
I know this is an extremely old thread but i am have the same exact issues. Hitting 210-220F driving around town not towing. Pulled a rented uhaul bike hauler and a 500lb. Bike and saw temps as high as 252F. No alarms or codes popped up. I. Driving in the Vegas area. Ambient temps are 95-114F. I have a 2011 f250 6.7 4 door lariat. 130,000 miles. Did anyone ever come up with a solution? Sorry for beating the dead horse. Ive been searching forums and have found nothing that helps.
Did you ever figure out what you cause was? I am starting to see higher than normal temps driving around empty with no trailer. Changed the oil cooler and primary radiator( had a small crack) no change.