2012 strange noises - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 strange noises

2012 f250 Lariat 4x4 2000 miles. Bone stock! I have two noises, the most concerning one is around 1200-1500 rpms its a howling like a harmonic drone, very noticable around 40-45 mph 5th gear. passengers have asked what is that? Dealer said it is not sure. the other noise is a whine at idle sounds like driver side under hood, like a hydraulic cavitation. It does it in park, in gear, rev it a little it goes away for a bit then comes back. If anyone HAS HAD THESE ISSUES please tell me what it was or get me pointed in the right direction. Please pass any word as i have my BDS lift and tires in garage i REALLY wanting to put them on!

I like this truck, but im not sure if i made a mistaking by parting with my 2005 Duramax.
Starrdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

"the other noise is a whine at idle sounds like driver side under hood, like a hydraulic cavitation. It does it in park, in gear, rev "

I have the same noise,but not sure if its normal or not. I didnt notice it when i had the windows up but could hear it when i used the remote start and walked up to my drivers door, or with my window down in a drive thru. I still have my 2005 chevy though.
2008 Yamaha 700 Rhino
2009 Yamaha 700 Rhino
duraduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

okay heres the update,

I went to the dealer and had the Diesel shop manager go for a ride with me, he heard both noises and when we got back he had me pop the hood and rev it up, then stated that it doesnt sound normal. so he went and got 4 diesel techs and they all stood at front while i reved it. he asked them if it sounded normal and all said something isnt right. so they craweled all over looking at it and i am dropping it off monday and getting a loaner f150. Two techs said there was a TSB for the " fuel buzz" that im hearing. They assured me that they will get it figured out. The manager apoligized for the inconvienence and said "im here to make you happy" So we will see! Last time someone told me that i had to go see the Corpsman and have a shot of Penicillin! LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrdaddy View Post
okay heres the update,

I went to the dealer and had the Diesel shop manager go for a ride with me, he heard both noises and when we got back he had me pop the hood and rev it up, then stated that it doesnt sound normal. so he went and got 4 diesel techs and they all stood at front while i reved it. he asked them if it sounded normal and all said something isnt right. so they craweled all over looking at it and i am dropping it off monday and getting a loaner f150. Two techs said there was a TSB for the " fuel buzz" that im hearing. They assured me that they will get it figured out. The manager apoligized for the inconvienence and said "im here to make you happy" So we will see! Last time someone told me that i had to go see the Corpsman and have a shot of Penicillin! LOL
Hey Starrdaddy!

Sounds like your dealership is taking great care of you. Keep us all in the loop and let us know how things go. If you need any assistance from me, just send me a PM and I'll see how I can help.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Curious if you hear that noise with the hood popped, door open, and just turning the key ON (one step before actually starting the engine) after it's been sitting all night. I saw a truck making this type of noise because its primary fuel filter cap (under cab) was cracked.
RyanP2317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

no it didnt do it with the KOEO. with fuel pump running. Only when engine running the fuel lines going into filter housing on engine were vibrating like crazy. To the touch it was like holding an engraver. only did this while noise was present. But today they are tearing into truck so i will post when i hear from them. they are addressing a popping in front end and a serious driveline clunk as well. my new XD809 wheels are now sitting next to lift kit in garage.
2001 Mustang Gt
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

What is the fix for the 'fuel buzz'? I have noticed it on a few occasions but haven't aked the dealer about it yet. I forgot when it was in for brakes last week.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIO26 View Post
What is the fix for the 'fuel buzz'? I have noticed it on a few occasions but haven't asked the dealer about it yet. I forgot when it was in for brakes last week.
Fuel pump and secondary fuel filter noise is caused by a restricted fuel filter or air entering the system due to excessively low fuel level. I have yet to discover any other cause.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Glad I just had the filters changed last week. I had them changed back in Jan. at like 14K and now again at 25.5K. With all the talk about HPFP problems, I'm not waiting for the truck to tell me to change them, I want to be proactive.
Thanks Ford Doctor for the info.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

What kind of front end pop do you have?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

I actually have both noises you describe, have had them since new. The 40-45 mph noise is just a harmonic difference not a howling. Deffinatly at 42-44 mph on my truck. The buzzing is exactly the same. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of my engine, same symptoms as you though....bump the throttle and it goes away. My truck had 5k miles on the dot and is going in for an oil change tomorrow. I'll keep you posted to what I find.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ram610 View Post
I actually have both noises you describe, have had them since new. The 40-45 mph noise is just a harmonic difference not a howling. Deffinatly at 42-44 mph on my truck. The buzzing is exactly the same. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side of my engine, same symptoms as you though....bump the throttle and it goes away. My truck had 5k miles on the dot and is going in for an oil change tomorrow. I'll keep you posted to what I find.
Hey 06ram610,

Let me know how things went at your dealership. If you need my assistance, you know where I am!

Crystal

Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the harmonic issue at speed but I am not concerned. Yet.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
I have the harmonic issue at speed but I am not concerned. Yet.
Hi MisterScott,

Keep me posted. You can always drop by your dealership if you start getting concerned.

Crystal

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrdaddy View Post
2012 f250 Lariat 4x4 2000 miles. Bone stock! I have two noises, the most concerning one is around 1200-1500 rpms its a howling like a harmonic drone, very noticable around 40-45 mph 5th gear. passengers have asked what is that? Dealer said it is not sure. the other noise is a whine at idle sounds like driver side under hood, like a hydraulic cavitation. It does it in park, in gear, rev it a little it goes away for a bit then comes back. If anyone HAS HAD THESE ISSUES please tell me what it was or get me pointed in the right direction. Please pass any word as i have my BDS lift and tires in garage i REALLY wanting to put them on!

I like this truck, but im not sure if i made a mistaking by parting with my 2005 Duramax.
Did you get this resolved yet? My 2011 just started the in cab howling this morning. If I slow down to around 40 mph the howling goes away, also if I speed up to about 65 mph the howling goes away. Very loud in the cab and mostly on the passenger side.

2001 F250 reg cab 4X4 long box. 3.5 to 4" Magnaflow system. DIY Tymar. CCK mod. Sold to my son.
Beeker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.