2012 Turbo Oil Line Leak after 1.500 miles - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Turbo Oil Line Leak after 1.500 miles

I noticed an oil leak on an new 2012 after 1.500 miles. It was dripping off the RH side of the front cover. I took it in to the dealer and after using a dye marker, they replaced the gasket on the front cover. They were not satisfied that was the source of the leak and pulled the air intake to get to the turbo. Sure enough the valley was full of oil and the turbo oil line appeared to be leaking from the lower fitting. I looked at the fitting and could not believe it was not a flared steel fitting. The upper and lower fittings thread into the turbo on the top and the pillar on the bottom. The steel oil line inserts into the fittings with an internal o-ring providing the seal. A clip holds the steel line from popping out of the fitting. There is a cast groove in the valley to channel oil out to the front cover.

Why in the world is this not a flared steel fitting? I have seen this type of fitting on shovel head Harley engines. They always leak after about a year. I was talking to my brother, who is an A&P mechanic (airplane), and he thought it should be a flared steel fitting as well. According to the mechanic, there was trouble with the earlier 6.7's in 2011 with leaking turbo oil lines. Supposedly they have been improved. It doesn't look like it to me. Not happy and after 5 days the truck is still at the dealership with a new oil line and fittings on order.
doane00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
RFB

That is not a harbinger for optimism.

I am awaiting delivery (it is off the line and awaiting transit) as we speak.

How because of the casting you mentioned, it seems like it would be difficult to retro a flared fitting into it.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

A new oil line with flared fittings could be made, but since it is under warranty and being repaired under warranty, I will continue with the factory oil line. At least now I will know what to look for in the event another leak occurs. It is very difficult to determine the source of a leak from the front of the 6.7. There are numerous parts, hoses etc. blocking any view. All I could tell was oil was running down the front RH side just above the oil pan. I could not see any further up the front cover while viewing above or below. Nor could I see down into the valley without removing the air intake.

On the bright side, the 6.7 is a pulling machine. I am very impressed and hope that the oil leak is permanently cured.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea, the time sitting at the dealer waiting is ridiculous. I get stuff faster off feebay than they get it from Furd.

FYI: according to my dealer they can NOT install ANY aftermarket items when doing warranty work. You aren't getting any aftermarket lines installed by your dealer.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Of course they won't install aftermarket items when doing warranty work. Lift your hood and look at the little sticker..........

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I never said I was contemplating having the dealer install an aftermarket oil line. I was simply stating my disgust with a poorly designed fitting or at the least a poorly manufactured fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.