The Diesel Stop banner

'2013 F250 4x4 short bed vibration

89K views 154 replies 50 participants last post by  CajunMick 
#1 ·
Just got a 2013 F250 4x4, noticed a vibration, like a tire was out of balance. It occurred around 46-50 mph, then smoothes out, starts again at 68-80 mph. The dealership has replaced all wheels and tires twice......still not fixed.

#4 ·
I am sure it relates to having 80 PSI in the tires. Let some air out and ignore your tire pressure monitor and see if it's better. with that much air they may as well be made of stone.

Mark

Nope, it aint the tire pressure. It is a charactoristic found on some of our trucks that nobdy has solved yet. Ford dealerships will try to fix it for a while, then FOMOCO says no more repair, nature of the beast.

Here are some lengthy treads about it if you care to see everything I have done in the 3 years I have been trying to solve it.

DieselStop

FTE

Bottom line is we are stuck with it and Ford won't fix it....(Nor will they say what it is so we can fix it)

#5 ·
Mine does it too. I thought I read somewhere that a person solved it by replacing the rear drive shaft with an aluminum one. I might be confusing that though.

I had a similar issue on my F150 but it only happened when starting from a standstill. It was axle wrap and I solved it with a product from roadmaster. Not sure if the issues are related.

#6 ·
New Information from Ford

I just talked to Fords Customer help line. I was told it is a known characteristic of the FX4 model of the F250. I asked if it was known, how come we don't see it in the Ford advertisements on tv. Or why the sales reps never mentioned it on my test drive when I said it felt like the tires were out of balance, and he replied, the tires just need to be rebalanced.

They (Ford) also said, after I advised I was only buying the truck to haul a fifth wheel, and that is what I told the salesman when i first met him, that the FX4 isn't the truck I should have been sold. The FX is for more off road driving, as the suspension is designed more for off road driving. And, the price you pay for having a stiffer suspension is the bounce, or vibration that I am feeling. The Ford rep said sorry, but there isn't anything further Ford can do. The only advise I received was to go back to the dealer and see if they would give me a new truck, other than the FX model.................

I feel that a class action lawsuit against Ford and the dealership is a possibility.

#7 ·
I feel that a class action lawsuit against Ford and the dealership is a possibility.
Good luck with that.

All you are going to do trying to get a class set up for something like this, is get heartburn and cause ill will with your dealer. You are not even sure of the root cause or how many vehicles this actually affects.

#8 ·
My 2013 F 350 FX 4 long bed has it at low speeds, truck had 2,000 miles. I took my 5th wheel with me to the dealer to show it is multiplied with the trailer. They wanted to shim the rear end, but Ford told them to replace the drive shaft. It is a lot better, but you can still feel it when starting up. Like wise Ford said nothing else could be done, live with it.

#11 ·
I am having the same issue. Left the dealer when pick the truck and notice vibration at highway speed so I turn around went back to the dealer. Had the dealer rebalance the tires. Still has the vibration. Did they ever find out what was wrong with yours? I have a 2013 f250 4x4 fx4 short bed with 300 miles on it.

#12 ·
No, as a matter of fact. I have had my "new truck" at the dealer for over 20 days combined. The last time it was there for 15 days. Thought they fixed it by replacing the drive shaft. One day later it started again. They said it was two tires went bad, 5 days later I'm still waiting on a call..........
The dealership has installed at least 6 complete sets of tires and has tried another set of wheels.

Bottom line is the truck hasn't been fixed yet..............and it has been at the deal ship more then it has been at my house.

I must say, the dealer has continued to try and fix the problem, it seems to me at this point that the only fix is to replace the truck. We'll see..........

#13 ·
Well talk to the dealer today they said they want to road force balance the tires. So I hope that works. This is my first Ford so I hope I don't have a bad one of the bunch. Wanted to try something different for a change. Owned around 13 dodge and GM heavy duty never had one that had vibration like this. I know they rough truck and won't drive like a car but they shouldn't shake going down the road. Another thing two my buddy that own a new ford superduty they are pretty smooth going down the same road with no vibration.

#14 ·
Another thing two my buddy that own a new ford superduty they are pretty smooth going down the same road with no vibration.
After fighting this for 3 years, I know Fords response is "this is normal characteristic” of the super duty. So I guess your two buddies better go see their dealership and get their normal rear end bounce installed.... :jester:
Seriously though, I hope the road force balance helps you but I know it wont.

Ford has never been able to tell me why only some trucks do it if it "normal".

#16 ·
Ashley,

I called Ford service, and they told me there wasn't anything they could do. It was up to the dealer, and whatever they chose to do. It's a sad day when the consumer can't rely on a company like Ford to make things right. I have been a Ford customer for a lot of years, and this is the first time I needed help..........and got none.

#18 ·
Might have finally solve my vibration. Service manger and I pick a new f250 with the same wheels out went test drove and made sure it didn't have vibration and it didn't. So they did a wheel swap on both trucks and guess what it not vibrating. If it does have any it barely noticeable. It bad when you go to two different dealer and they both tell it Ford thing just live with it. Had go back to my sales person I know real well and he told them they need to something or at least swap the wheels out. So hopefully my problems are fix.

#19 ·
I thought putting new tires and wheels on it fix it. So is it all the 3/4 ton 4x4 having this vibration issue? Mine seem worst with a trailer on it?

#20 ·
New wheels need to wear in , I bet not every truck comes off the line with the exact camber , the edges of the tires need to wear tone camber angle , one of the reasons for tire rotation

#22 ·
They sure do, not to mention how squirly these trucks are until the tires wear in, it took about 4,000 miles on the 2015 with the michelins, and when the conti's on the 08 got replaced under the tire recall i had forgotten how squirly the truck is on new tires and almost wiped it out getting onto the freeway it pushed across 3 lanes on the curve of an on ramp and almost into the wall b4 i could get my foot outta it.

The first week i had the new truck i pulled out my tape measure to check the toe figuring it was off but it was dead on 1 degree toe. camber was dead on too. its great now. and it stays glued to the road , sometimes too much.

#21 ·
Been fighting mine for 2 years. Same responses and problems. I just tell anyone I know to look for a better riding truck. My 03 Super Duty had a ten times better ride than this 2013. Wished I had just fixed all the 6 L problems and kept old truck. Dealer and Ford Service don't care once purchase is made. Wish Nissan or Toyota sold heavier duty vehicles in the USA.

#23 ·
New guy here with a 15 F-250 SRW LB SC FX4 with 400 miles on it currently.

A Google search brought me here. I have a vibration that starts at 70, and clears up at 80. Speed limit here in NM is 75, so it's constantly vibrating. Feel it in my stomach. Passenger seat vibrates. I've had the tires re-balanced to no avail, then had them road forced. One tire was marginal on the runout. I had it swapped for another 275/70-18 Michelin. My friends at Discount Tire warrantied the tires for me since the truck only had 200 miles on it when I brought it in.

I purchased the truck on eBay out of Pennsylvania, I can't go back and have them look at it. My dealership in Santa Fe, NM is about the worst. I have 2 other Ford trucks, and every time I have to bring one of them in, I get more problems. I'd rather sell the truck and move on than let them work on it.

Seriously thinking about dropping this truck off at CarMax and keeping my 01 F-250 SRW LB SC that rides like I'm on a cloud. It doesn't seem like there is much hope in resolving this problem.

Besides the vibration, it's an incredible truck.

If I get another Ford, I'll make sure I test drive it first.

#24 ·
New guy here with a 15 F-250 SRW LB SC FX4 with 400 miles on it currently.

A Google search brought me here. I have a vibration that starts at 70, and clears up at 80. Speed limit here in NM is 75, so it's constantly vibrating...
Welcome to the forum, pjb03! Let's get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager so they can help. All I need to get started is a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. If you'd like to have your truck serviced at a different Ford Dealership, you can find some local options by entering your ZIP code here: Locate a Dealer Search | Official Site of Ford Vehicles | Ford.com

Crystal

#28 ·
I have a 2012 F350 dually 4x4 (not and FX model) and two F350 short bed (not a dually)
that are a 4x4 FX model. Both are diesels.
The dully vibrates at 43 to 50 mph and the short beds vibrate at 48-52 mph. The factory will lie and mislead us to believe that it is normal and to deal with it.
My trucks vibrate so bad that you can go numb if you drive long enough at 50mph.
I have applied to the BBB to lemon law both of the 2013 trucks and they have accepted my claim. I am requesting Ford to repurchase them through the lemon law process.

The service department has told me that all the 2012 - 2014 have the same problem and that Ford does not have a fix for it. The sales people at Ford will lie to sell the trucks and have done so.

Everyone needs to force Ford to repurchase these trucks under the lemon law.

#29 ·
I have a 2013 FX4 F250 with the same vibration problem. I've had it into my local dealer 5 times for the same issue (vibration between 45-50 mph). The Force balance was done the third time in with no result. The fourth time they told me their tire balancer was out of calibration but it should be fixed now. I even had them do a run-out check on the drive shaft to make sure it wasn't warped. Still no change and a vibe at 45-50 mph. The last time I took it in (for just an oil change) the service manager immediately recognized me and call me by name, "Hello Mr. xxxxxx." I told him that I was still having the vibration problem and without a skip in the beat, he told me that Ford has realized this problem with my truck and it is normal. NORMAL?!!! I think not. I have just broken 27K miles. If there was any chance of a tire break-in period, I've reached it. I will soon be taking it to another dealer a little further out of town. I love everything about my truck, but 5 times to the dealer and no results is not good for customer service.

#30 ·
...I will soon be taking it to another dealer a little further out of town. I love everything about my truck, but 5 times to the dealer and no results is not good for customer service.
Welcome to the forum, stang347lx! I'm the Ford Service rep around these parts. When are you heading to the new dealership to have the vibration checked out? I'll get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager so they can help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

#31 ·
I just won the FL lemon law on my 2013 F350 SW 6.7 for the vehicle vibrating and hopping at 47-52 mph. They all do it and ford says its a truck and that the vibration is normal. We just learned that the supplier for the trucks rear end changed the rear end for the 2016 because of the vibration. So ford knows of the problem and once again the consumer is screwed by the big corporation while they rake in the profits. I have a 2012 DW F350 6.7 and two 2013 F350 SW 6.7. The second 2013 is in the lemon law process. The 2012 was not able to go through the lemon law process due to time.
Everyone should lemon law their 2012 thru 2014 6.7 super duty's and the main reason is that the vibration is so severe that it causes nausea to the driver.

#32 ·
I just won the FL lemon law on my 2013 F350 SW 6.7 for the vehicle vibrating and hopping at 47-52 mph. They all do it and ford says its a truck and that the vibration is normal. We just learned that the supplier for the trucks rear end changed the rear end for the 2016 because of the vibration. So ford knows of the problem and once again the consumer is screwed by the big corporation while they rake in the profits. I have a 2012 DW F350 6.7 and two 2013 F350 SW 6.7. The second 2013 is in the lemon law process. The 2012 was not able to go through the lemon law process due to time.
Everyone should lemon law their 2012 thru 2014 6.7 super duty's and the main reason is that the vibration is so severe that it causes nausea to the driver.
Good for you! :thumbsup:
When I lemoned mine back in 2012, I lost because the arbitrator said they agreed that there was a bounce but he did not feel it was severe enough to force Ford to buy it back.

What rear end do you have? Mine has a 3:31.

#33 ·
Wonder why ford rep is eager to help fix your problem and no one else's like mine. I am going to mount hero camera under truck to video this problem and then post on you tube for every one to see. I am currently telling my problem with this truck to everyone I know nationally in my travels. I know of at least 8 or 9 people that have bought other vehicles being made aware of this ahead of time. Seems like it would be less loss to fix the problem than to loose sales.

#35 ·
Wonder why ford rep is eager to help fix your problem and no one else's like mine...
I'll be happy to do what I can to help you out, River Runner. What's your truck's model year and mileage? Have you been to your dealership yet for diagnosis? Let me know so I can get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

#37 ·
my truck is now 5 years old, so it is beyond Florida's lemon law which does not even apply to an F-350 (Due to GVWR), state won't even consider an appeal. Only course of action I had was arbitration because it was a 350.

#41 · (Edited)
Thanks for responding, River Runner! I understand how you'd be frustrated after multiple dealer visits. Let's get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager so they can help. Send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and preferred servicing dealership. I'll get to work. :thumbsup:

Crystal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.