The Diesel Stop banner

'2014 F250 Will not start

54K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  cm24 
#1 · (Edited)
My truck is back in the shop for a third time for the same problem and the dealer is really clueless about anything. I am beyond frustrated. Any help with this would be great and if anyone knows how I can escalate this to ford it would be helpful.

Here are the alarms I get when trying to start( Low Oil Pressure, Service AdvanceTrac, Engine Overtemp, Wrench Icon and Starting System Fault.)

When trying remote start nothing happens then the horns honks after a couple of minutes.

Below is the timeline and a video.

July 21, 2015 - Vehicle would not start, multiple alarms going off and dashboard has all icons showing. Towed vehicle in around 0700. Truck stayed in the shop overnight. Resolutions was told that the codes was reset and battery cable was tighten. I ask why the battery was loose when it was just in the shop for routine maintenance and it was signed off that it was good to go. I also told the service representative that I felt this didn't not solve my problem as it was just a quick fix.

Sept 4, 2015 - Problem is back, same symptoms, truck not starting, alarms going off, dashboard has all icons showing. Towed vehicle in around 1700. Vehicle stay in the shop for a week and was picked up around 1800 on Sept 11, 2015. Service representative stated they replaced the PCM and reprogrammed the keys.

Sept 12, 2015 - Yep you guess it, same problem and not even a full 24 hours from when the vehicle was towed to the dealership again. Truck wont start, same symptoms, alarms going off, all icons showing. Towed vehicle in around 0900. Vehicle would start now but check engine light is on. I have an inclination that all that will be done is to reset the codes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6jq2ORR3I

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is a copy of something I posted for someone else who was having this issue. For him, it did also turn out to be the pin on the CAN network in a plug just above the parking brake...

I also experienced the Starting System Failure. When I turned the key to on, I noticed the glow plug indicator light was not on which I thought strange. All else appeared normal. I turned the key to crank the engine and absolutely nothing happened - not even a click. I shut it off, then tried again. Everything was the same, except this time when I released the key from the crank position, a series of messages rotated through the LCD display - "Low Oil Pressure", "High Engine Temp", "Advance Trak Service Needed", "Starting System Failure", then a picture of an open-end wrench. This series kept repeating. I tried over and over with the same results. Long story short. Had it towed to the dealer. They found a bunch or really strange codes were stored, and changed some parts. Truck ran fine and I got it back. Two days later, same issue again. After having it towed to my dealer and after tireless work, the shop manager found a 'private' network between the Advance Trak processor and the Passive Restraint Controller wiring harness had a resistance (measured with an ohm meter) of .3 ohms, but when he wiggled the connector just above the parking brake, it went up to 100 ohms. It seems that the only information sent over this is data from the yaw sensor, which the Advance Trak processor apparently shares with the Passive Restraint controller. They added two wires in parallel with the existing wires and have soldered the connectors to rule out the crimping. There now is no variability in the impedance of the network, as it stays at .3 ohms (even when wiggled). They put the truck back together, then test drove it and it ran fine. Following this, Ford engineering contacted the mechanic after he sent an update on what he found. They advised him that if you skip over the next pin in the connector, the next two pins are one of the primary high-speed networks (yes, the CAN). They advised him to also parallel those two wires and solder them. They say that connection could have caused my issue of Starting System Failure. I have had no further issues. Common problem with this particular harness? Just a thought.

#5 ·
Thanks I sent them this information as well,I believe it has something to do with that harness as I disconnected it and it produced the same results I was having. Other that have had this issues simply removed the the harness from the bracket and zipped tied it out of the way.

Hi jdafonte,

I reached out to you on one of the other forums you posted on; be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal
Thanks Crystal...I seen your email and responded. I will keep everyone posted.

#4 ·
My truck is back in the shop for a third time for the same problem and the dealer is really clueless about anything. I am beyond frustrated. Any help with this would be great and if anyone knows how I can escalate this to ford it would be helpful...
Hi jdafonte,

I reached out to you on one of the other forums you posted on; be sure to let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

#7 ·
You need to push your dealer to get some Ford assistance. If you ask them how this avoids a recall as your wife being out at night in certain parts of town and it failing to start is a potential life threatening situation.

#8 ·
We did that. Ford kicked in $1,100. That was a little under half of the repair cost. The bad thing is, I'm about 1,100 miles from home with my RV. There is only one Ford dealer here, and I have absolutely no confidence in their work. I'm still waiting for it to die again.

#10 ·
Hi there, does anyone happen to know the color of the wires that were bypassed in this fix?? I have a 2014 F350 diesel that's doing the exact same thing. I need to get this thing running to try and get it to Ford as we are located in a remote gold mine up in Northern Canada. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

#13 ·
Thanks guys for the reply, been there done that and still won't crank and all the warnings are still on the display, Any more ideas? I'd like to know which wires (pins) are the ones that they soldered in the bypass wires. If I can get this thing running I can get it out of the mine and to Ford

#17 ·
UPDATE: Sooooo...... the truck gets towed out of the mountains up here to Ford and they call saying both batteries are no good. They say that was the problem???? They throw Two new batteries in it and say take it away, I call BS because the whole time I was working on troubleshooting the problem I had the trickle charger on it as to not kill the batteries. Plus I had already checked battery and the charging system condition in the beginning. I guess we will see over the next little bit whether or not the "no start, warning light chaos " comes back?

#19 ·
Glad its running again. Here was the notes from when they bypassed the cables/connectors. Maybe it will help you.

REPAIRED CONNECTOR C212 PINS 48,49 CIR VDB04 AND CIR VDB05, R R FENDER WELL AND REPAIR CONNECTOR C1010 PINS 2,3 AND 12,13 CIR VDB04 AND CIR VDB05...ALSO REPAIR CONNECTOR C210 PINS 47,48 CIR VDB04 AND VDB05. RETEST FOR NO START, RETEST FOR ANY CODES ALL PASSED

#18 ·
The battery issue has been a problem, for some reason if one gets bad it will cause weird starting issues, just so everyone knows that when batteries get close to the 3 year mark this problem could leave you stranded on a trip.

Glad to here yours is running now, get a bunch of gold!!

#21 ·
Thank you guys, so much for this thread. I just experienced this same issue this morning with my boat hooked up, in street in front of house, ready to go fishing. Was able to get boat put back in parking area after friend towed me off street, and before I took off tow strap, truck started. Still has "check engine" light, though. Will look at the wire harness on the emerg. brake.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just had the same issue this morning. I made a post about it then came across this one. Its in the shop now. The mech said he has seen it 3 times and has no explanation. I told him to take a look and do the due-diligence for the records. So mine lit up the dash and no start. Read high engine temp, low oil pressure, advance track issue, wrench symbol, starter fault and all the rest. Get it towed. Once at the dealer, all's good. Like it cured itself?....?

I had a video to show the mech as I know the shop score "could not reproduce problem" may be an issue.

#26 ·
Having the same issues 2014 f350 6.7. When driving or idling, no gauges all possible warnings and alarms going off and the a/c cuts out. When I turn the truck off it will not crank. It's has been to the dealer 4 times since the end of July. 1st time they replaced the bcm, couple weeks later it was back they tightened and lubricated connections, month later we are back this time it was towed because I'm tired of driving 40 minutes. They overlayed wires. 4 days later we just get to the campground and guess what..... it's been a week and not much progress replacing the bcm again tomorrow. I shared the information from this forum so hopefully this helps. They say they are calling the ford hotline but they act like I'm the only ford owner that has had this problem, clearly not. The last 3 times I have had problems is when I used the parking brake. I don't have high hopes for them getting this fixed. Not to mention the 2012 I had with emissions problems that was in the shop 4 times before I traded it for this problem.

#29 ·
Any update on how to fix this issue? It happened to my truck twice on my hunting trips. All I do is release the parking brakes and it will start again but will have the check engine light on. Once I got home and ready to take the truck to the dealership, the check engine light will be back to normal. Dealer does not see anything wrong.

#30 ·
Mine was fixed by soldering new wires to four of the connector's pins. The wires parallel the harness wires, but I really believe the soldering removed the resistance from the crimped connections. Now my issue with that same connector is my backup camera, which feeds through that same plug. Ford has a problem with that connector. See some of my early posts on the issue I had. Crimped connectors are not adequate for digital signals on high-speed networks. These trucks have something like 19 computers communicating over 7 networks. Perhaps that connector is not rated for digital signaling. I'm not aware of what plating the pins have. It does not take much tarnish to cause loss of digital information. Has anyone pulled the connector apart and spayed it with electronic contact cleaner? Not a permanent fix, but it would be interesting to see the result of that. Best of luck.

#31 · (Edited)
Just got my 2014 F350 back from the dealer and after 31/2 years of problems and me insisting that every time I popped my emergency brake it temporarily fixed the problem they discovered that it was the connector!! Wish I had read your post a year ago or maybe my Ford dealer!! Amazing how clueless these dealers are!! Thanks for the info!! Also effected by this connector are the backup camera, remote start distance, hands free clarity and possibly the side mirrors. All working perfectly and being type A personality i'm sure of what I speak. Hope this helps because Ford service and factory didn't!! If anyone has a better place to post this please do!!

#32 ·
So the dealer could not find the issue. He did however "massage" the harnesses and plugged them in and out. So far so good.

But, 3 months later, the bastard thing wont start at all. May be batteries, alt or starter. Could it be related? Maybe.....getting tired of this this always being in the shop. Just over 100K kms. For the money we pay for these vehicles, crap should not be breaking with only 100K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.