The Diesel Stop banner

'2015 F350 6.7L Low Fuel Pressure

78K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
14k miles, all maintainence up to date, Stanadyne used every fueling, got low fuel pressure message .. then "Reduced Engine Power"

Drove one mile right to Local Ford Dealer...could be bad fuel ( no warranty coverage ? ) fuel filter, HP Fuel Pump ( covered) or Sensor? Glad it didn't happen when I was towing my 5er.

Receptionist called back, said tech couldn't reproduce the message, I could come pick it up. Called Head Tech at Dealership where I bought the truck , left message. Called Owner of dealership, he said I could call ahead and drop it off anytime...tech would check it out. He had other customer who had same problem, it was a tab from fuel additives that fell in to tank and intermittently blocked the fuel line. Had to drop the tank $(400, not warranted) I will get the truck and drive it 130 miles to dealership where I bought it ; if problem reoccurs, I will have it towed from wherever I am back to the dealership where I bought it.

Will keep y'all posted on what happens. Have any of you heard of the Low Fuel Pressure message (P008a ) just coming up once then mysteriously disappearing?

Later... had original dealer replace both fuel filters and have driven @ 300 miles since with no problems.

See less See more
#3 ·
14k miles, all maintainence up to date, Stanadyne used every fueling, got low fuel pressure message .. then "Reduced Engine Power"

Drove one mile right to Local Ford Dealer...could be bad fuel ( no warranty coverage ? ) fuel filter, HP Fuel Pump ( covered) or Sensor? Glad it didn't happen when I was towing my 5er.

Receptionist called back, said tech couldn't reproduce the message, I could come pick it up. Called Head Tech at Dealership where I bought the truck , left message. Called Owner of dealership, he said I could call ahead and drop it off anytime...tech would check it out. He had other customer who had same problem, it was a tab from fuel additives that fell in to tank and intermittently blocked the fuel line. Had to drop the tank $(400, not warranted) I will get the truck and drive it 130 miles to dealership where I bought it ; if problem reoccurs, I will have it towed from wherever I am back to the dealership where I bought it.

Will keep y'all posted on what happens. Have any of you heard of the Low Fuel Pressure message (P008a ) just coming up once then mysteriously disappearing?

Later... had original dealer replace both fuel filters and have driven @ 300 miles since with no problems.

More common that you think. First thing I do is to pry those cardboards out of the Stanadyne lids. the problem has never happened to me, but very easy to miss!

#4 ·
Thanks for your response. I'm watching my instrument panel like a hawk. I hate that I will now be a bit paranoid as to the reliabity of my $60k vehicle, especially when I'm camping on BLM land miles from nowhere and I get that dreaded message; or, worse yet, when (due to poor planning) I'm crawling along I-94 near Chicago during rush hour with my 12000 lb 5th wheel and stuck in the middle lane.

#5 ·
Thanks, DJ
It occurred to me that an additive seal would be extremely unlikely to be introduced to my fuel system because I always use a funnel with a wire fine mesh screen to pour the Stanadyne in to my fuel tank. So far, no error codes have appeared on my instrument screen and I bought a cheap OBD 2 wi-fi scanner to hopefully help track and avert future problems. Now I have to begin to school myself in the foreign to me language of Diesel Engine mechanical functions. That's actually very interesting to me, but like every foreign culture, one must learn the taboos, mores and secret rituals. Maybe by the time I'm 80 I'll know how to handle my F-350 ( I'm 68) ?

#6 ·
Sounds like you are doing the right things JC. I hope the problem is solved for you. Nothing more irritating to me than a problem that gets "shy" when brought to the tech's to be repaired.

#7 ·
It has been about six weeks since the original problem occurred and as mentioned I did have both of the fuel filters replaced at my original dealer. Today I got the error codes P0087 and P0170 on my 0BDII scanner, which, as you may know means "fuel rail system pressure too low" and my scanner said that the P0170 code means that it's caused "...by fuel injection faults are in the fuel trim bank one. "

I'm thankful that this didn't happen while we were pulling our fifth wheel; however it does put a serious kink in our plan to head down south this weekend. Since this is the second time that this problem occurred within a few hundred miles , does anyone have a suggestion as to how I should handle it?
As I mentioned previously the dealership where I purchased the vehicle is 120 miles from here, but I think my dealer would pay to have it towed there. I guess that doesn't help us much with our plans to travel with our fifth wheel and the truck as a tow vehicle. This is very frustrating insofar as the reason I bought a new truck was because I did not want to have any mechanical problems while I was towing.
Silly me. If you want the gods to laugh, tell them what your plans are.

#9 ·
Thanks for responding, MD.
It it could not be the bottle tabs because I have a mesh filter in my funnel that I use to put the fuel additive in my tank.
I'm thinking that it may be a sensor problem?

#10 · (Edited)
Yes could very well. There is a rail sensor. I'm not a 6.7 expert but have done some consults on base engine issues.
Then you what... Ive had the highest respect for Oregon Injection for decades. I'm an old dinosaur that does not STILL know how to follow links but she f you go to Oregon Injection and go to ford Diesel then to 6.7, you will scroll down to first or second paragraph and it will be the paragraph you were hoping for me friend. Don't selectively read on this puppy, due to the gravity you may have already detected.

#13 ·
I googled Oregon Injection and I just got a bunch of Plastics manufacturers in Oregon. Do you have a specific term I could use to access the information or a direct link to Oregon Injection?
Because of my warranty, it's unlikely that I will attempt all but the most simple repairs on my own. I would just like to have the information so I can be knowledgeable when I take it to my service center to be diagnosed and, hopefully repaired.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise and I will keep all of you posted on the progress of events as things go along.

#14 ·
Jim, Just noticed you are from GR. That's where I am too! Small world I guess.

#15 ·
Dealer service dept called a short while ago and the rep said that the PIDs were "cleared" and they did not duplicate upon cold start. Engine service light was also cleared. Could be "a ghost in the machine." They will let it sit overnight and see what happens upon restart and scanning in the morning.

#16 ·
I found the website and read the whole thing. It gave me a new respect for Diesel mechanics... an occupation that nowadays appears to be as complicates and imprecise as neurosurgery.
One tidbit that was interesting: "Note: The CP4.2 pumps are not as durable as the CP3 pumps. Poor fuel supply, contamination, and/or running them out of fuel (plugged fuel filter) will cause them to fail. When they fail it is often catastrophic and they send metal particles throughout the high pressure side of the fuel system, causing further damage."
Does my 2015 F350 come with the CP4.2 or the CP3? I'm assuming the CP4.2 insofar as it is "newer" I don't think it has failed yet, it it may just be a matter of time...let's hope the timing is before the warranty expires. Maybe I should look in to the Ford extended warranty.

Another tidbit:
DTC Codes
P008A Low Pressure Fuel System Pressure- Too Low
* Commonly sets when the fuel filters are plugged, the fuel supply pump has failed, or after replacing fuel filters and not bleeding the system correctly.
* See Hard Start/No Start above
P0087 Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low
* See P008A

Those are the codes I got; I had them replace the fuel filters ($250) on Nov 17 and have driven @300 miles since then when the error codes started. I also got a P0170 , which is not mentioned but is translated as "fuel trim bank...always caused by fuel injection faults. "

At any rate, I am appreciative of Maryland and DJ and anyone else who chimes in. I will continue the saga as things unfold...
Here's the website:
https://oregonfuelinjection.com/services-repair/diesel-diagnostics-repair/ford-diesel-diagnostics/

Good resource

#17 ·
I had P0170 code issues starting at about 30k miles. First time dealer saw code history and spent hours testing and researching. After clearing code "could not replicate" and sent me on my way. As a precaution, original air filters looked fine, but I changed both anyway. Ditto, Fuel filters only had 7k miles on them but I changed both anyway. I go out and buy TorguePro and OB.. Bluetooth adapter. A ch3ck engine light is very disconcerting. Once on, another issue can pop up with another code, but light does not change and no additional alert. So once on, if i do not clear the code, I do periodically check to see if there are more codes..

1,000 miles later check engine and I read it is P0170. I am 2k miles from home. Dealer says just drive in. Several restarts and about 500 miles later, check engine light goes out. About 1,000 miles later it is back on. Again P0170. Drive to dealer with few restarts. Light is still on, and tech sees history. Again tests and research - nothing. Dealer cleared code and sends me on my way. Says Ford is researching issue. 300 miles later check engine. Same P0170. More testing. This time replaced an injector and reflashed the computer.

1,000 miles later, check engine light is on again. Again P0170. Am 900 miles from home. Dealer says Ford is still working on it. If I come in they will just clear code. So with TorguePro I just clear code. This happens almost like clockwork for each of the next 1,000 miles. I notice nothing driving, other than engine light.. Do not get reduced power message.

Observation - after codes cleared all is well. the check engine does not occur on startup, but does seem to pop up during warm up or very soon after engine reaches operating temp. Also has happened with a fully warmed up engine shortly after restart. Running empty or towing about 50/50.

This goes on for about 6k miles total (5-7 total occurances).

I get the "anti-jackhammer" reflash, hoping it contains a solution to my issue. This is at 37k miles.

I drive almost 17,000 miles, mostly with 17K 5er in tow, without check engine light. (There is a PDI for tracking/displaying this in TorqPro.). Check engin light comes on. Same shortly after, but not at startup occurrence. Sure enough, P0170 code. I just clear it. That was less than 200 miles ago. I am at 54k miles. Fuel filters have about 6k miles on them. Air filters look fine.

Good luck.

#19 ·
Thanks, Nick...I found it. See Post #16. Some of the posts here do not appear sequentially.
Jim

#21 ·
Update:

1-25-17
Picked up vehicle at Dealer ( distance:124 miles one way)
RO States:
" E29
Recalem Cause CC04
Road Test vehicle verified concern perform Diesel Diag
KOEO P0170 perform TSB 160134 Reprogram PCM to latest level
Software Clear DTCS retest pass road Test OK M/O 16507"

Picked up truck around 10:30 am
I drove @ 10 miles on I-94, received Low Fuel Pressure Reduced Engine Speed and Service Engine lights flashed. Pulled off expressway, called Tech Advisor advised me to drive back to dealer . Drove to Service Department where advisor asked if I put fuel additive in truck, told him I did, he thought maybe tab from additive might have caused the problem, I informed him that it was not possible because the funnel I use to add the fuel treatment has a wire screen that would prevent anything that large from entering the tank. I have never added Fuel treatment w/o using the funnel with the screen.
Dealer provided a loaner and I drove back to Grand Rapids, Advisor will call back when repair is completed.

Can anyone translate for me , in "Layman's Terms" what the Repair Order language means?

Thanks

#22 ·
BTW,
Tricia , FoMoCo service has been in contact with me and she has referred the case to regional rep.

#23 ·
Update 1/30/17

Got a call from the service tech. Somehow, the tab from the fuel additive got in the fuel tank and was causing intermittent uptake problems. They had to drop the tank and found the tab in the uptake . It must have fallen in before I got the fuel funnel with the mesh screen is all I can figure, though I don't remember adding the Stanadyne before I got the funnel. Oh well, I'm glad it wasn't something major and I must say the dealer and the area rep took good care of me. I pick it up tomorrow ifn' the creek don't rise and the snow storm will let me.

Big thanks you shout out to all the kind folks out there who helped. I hope to return the favor someday.

#24 ·
1/31/17
Update: just picked up the vehicle and drove 128 miles home in sleet and snow. Everything ran well . No charge for loaner ( 2017 F 250 gasser) or for cleaning fuel tank. They even gave me half a tank of fuel, though the vehicle wash was wasted on Mich road salt :) Tech showed me scope camera shot of tank interior with the tab laying right by the fuel intake (uptake? ) . My confidence in My 6.7 and FoMoCo has been restored.
Question: Does anyone know if adding Archoil fuel additive would take the place of the Motorcraft Cetane additive or would it be considered supplemental? In other words, should I use them both at once or alternate additives? With our travels including some remote locations with fueling stations of possibly questionable content, I want to hedge my bets on contamination vis-a-vis that infamous CP-4 fuel pump.

#25 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience, @Couillj

IDK how y'all tolerate that road salt ... but I'll stop before I get started again. :p

Drive with pride!

#26 ·
X2 on the salt. Then the plan is to camp on the beach on Padre and environs. Maybe I should rig a portable pressure washer in the bed of my F350. ?

#27 ·
You guys seem to be pretty good on these 6.7 I don't mean to get in on the thread but im not having much luck getting some info

I have a 2011 F-250 with a 6.7 and it just up and quit on me while on the highway, I’m looking for some info to lead me in the right direction. I was attempting to pass someone on the highway when the engine went into a de rate, display lite up saying low engine power, and slight smoke came out the tail pipe while trying to power through it, I slowly lost power and when I pull to the side of the road the engine quit, when attempting to restart the sound is still present but the engine will not attempt to start, my code reader indicates low fuel rail pressure, i just happen to have fuel filters in the truck so i changed them with no affect. the engine will turn over like there is no tomorrow but it wont even attempt to start. Am I possibly looking at a injection pump failure, is it a common failure or am I over looking something simple? Any info would be a great help.

I used a scan tool to look at the live data, command pressure is approx. 4300psi, when cranking it climbs to 5600+- psi, but rail pressure stays at 311psi, I tried other things watching any available injector info change but nothing changed, so my question is What would be my next step??? So should I be looking at the fuel regulator, injectors or a failed HPFP????? Since items are pricy and I have never went deep into a 6.7 before and do not want to start throwing parts at it.

Is the fuel just being dumped back to tank and if so where should I start ???? Some simple test suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks everyone

#28 ·
I currently have the same issue. They are saying that the tank is contaminated with metal particles that got into the low pressure pump which in turn sent metal through the high pressure pump and shorted ou the fuel sensor as well. 72, 500Km. they don't want to warranty it. I asked how did metal or solids get pass the filters. They couldn't answer that. Having it towed to Alpha Diesel in Calgary. Done with FORDs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.