The Diesel Stop banner

'2015 F350 DEF System Fault Message

90K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Roundhouse6099 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 F350 which obviously has the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) on it. I've owned this vehicle since mid May of 2014 and have filled the DEF resevoir a few times when the dashboard indicator reflected 500 miles left. These fills were made from a sealed container. Currnet mileage is 6,303 miles.
Last Tuesday (23 Dec 2014) I received a message on the dashboard concerning the DEF which stated "Exhaust Fuild System Fault" and it went on o state "n 50 miles, Speed Limited to 50 mph". I've seen this warning in the manual and read about it on this forum, so I'm familiar with what happens next. Since I was a good distance from a dealership at work and had a fresh conatiner of DEF, I topped the reservoir off with less than one gallon used. I drove the vehicle home and after restarting it the error message continued to display with the mileage counter. Te dealership could not get me in a Christmas Eve (go figure), but I brought it in on Friday.
Per the service rep, the technician has run the diagnostics, has contacted Ford directly and per their direction performed a REGEN and then drove the vehicle. I'm being told the System Fault message is still displayed. I'm also told that if the DEF is contaminated the warranty won't cover it. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with this since it was pour in from a sealed container via clean & fresh funnel.
My last verbal contact with the service rep (Monday 29 Dec 2014) stated Ford wants the technician to check for crystalization in the DEF tank. I'm told this is either done by running out the DEF from normal engine running (not my desire) or draining the resevoir.
Please view the attached to see the exact fault when I turned it into the dealership.
Has anyone run into this same error of an Exhaust Fluid System Fault?
Was it covered under warranty? I'm seeing dollar signs!!!
Do you still have the same problem occuring again and again?

Thanks for your help!!

2014 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, FX4, 4x4, dually, 6.7L

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about it costing you anything.. If you are sure that you have only put DEF into the tank then you won't have any issues with warranty.

Could be NOX sensor/module, DEF pump, DEF sending unit (might be same as pump) or DEF injector... 1 of the 4 is your problem..

Reactions: ford_doctor
#3 ·
Thanks Blwnsmoke, I'll keep those in mind for the future.

Late yesterday the dealership called and said the truck was ready with the System Fault light cleared. When I picked it up and spoke with both the service rep & technician, they said the technician had been on the Ford Tech Hotline most of the day following their instructions.
The technician stated they had him manually clear all of the codes using both the "Key On Engine Off" (KOEO) and "Key On Engine Running" (KOER) diagnostic tests. After performing both of those many times in a row he drove it until the System Fault extinguished.
I'm glad to have the truck back and hope that the problem is resolved, but have reservations about the DEF system and the warranty. The dealership was quick to point to contaminated DEF and stated if the fluid had been contaminated the warranty wouldn't have covered it. When I asked if the dealership adds the DEF from their stock and it's found to be contaminated does the warranty still cover it the answer was NO. The Service Manager's statement was any contamination whether from fuel or fluids voids the warranty. I find this hard to believe especially if it's the dealership adding the DEF fluids, but will fight that battle if it comes up in the future.
If any of the Ford Service members are viewing this thread I would appreciate your comments concerning the aspect of a Ford dealership topping off the DEF, it later being identified as contaminated and then not being covered under the warranty. From what I've read on this forum and the PowerStroke forum, it's rather expensive to replace the components that make up the DEF system.

Thanks once again!

2014 F-350 Lariat, CC, LB, FX4, 4x4, dually, 6.7L

#4 ·
The dealer would be responsible for contaminated DEF being added if they are the only person adding it or the fault showed up immediately after they added it. Ford does not take warranty responsibility for anything related to handling of the vehicle. The dealer not maintaining their DEF supply is no different than the dealer not maintaining a sidewalk that has a ledge and someone trips as a result and is injured. Ford does not indemnify the dealer's operation.

What code(s) did the dealer find in system? Was there a code indicating contaminated DEF fluid? Ghat message shows up for a number of different types of faults related to the reductant system.

You state you added DEF several times before the truck ever got this fault so why is there even a question about responsibility if the dealer adds DEF?

#5 ·
I had the exact same fault a little over a month ago with 4100 miles on the truck. About three days prior I had added 2.5 gallons of def that I purchased from the dealer. I get the same fault that you did. I am heading to a football game at I.U. on a Saturday when I have to turn around, just a little pissed off. Take it to the dealer that morning. Of course all they have there are tire changers on Saturday. So it goes back Monday. Had it all day. Found a bad NOx sensor. Replaced it, cleared the fault and it has been fine ever since. I questioned myself at first because I had just added the def. I purchased it at the dealer just to be safe. Turns out it had nothing to do with my issue. I will find out the next time I add def and motorcraft is all I will buy just so they can't say I contaminated the system

#7 ·
Just purchased a new 2015 f350 4x4 6.7l drw platinum 4 days ago told dealer we were purchasing to pull a 38 ft camper to Ga in 2 days. . It had 9 miles on it when we left Sante Fe Ford. The truck is at 842 miles has not regened that we can tell. We hooked up to our 38ft 16000 lb camper to head on vacation to Ga yesterday. At about 90 miles into trip we got a DEF default stating in 50 miles would be limited to 50 mph. Unhooked camper, drove approx 400 miles no faults. Hooked back up to camper, about 15 miles into it got default speed reduced to 50 mph upon next restart. Pulled into nearest Ford dealership in LiveOak Fl. Was told didn't think they would get to it today. Since we were headed on vacation we headed to purchased dealer at Sante Fe in Alacha, Fl. About 30 miles. Never had a default show between dealerships. Very agitated at this point. We had a 2011 Ford diesel 250 before this that we loved and pulled the same camper with no issues. This is our 6 the Ford that we have owned. Right now I'm wondering if I should have gone to a Dodge or Chevy. My father is looking at purchasing a new Ford, thinking maybe not. Our whole family are die hard ford owners. I am so disappointed at this point.

#13 ·
...At about 90 miles into trip we got a DEF default stating in 50 miles would be limited to 50 mph...
Welcome to the forum, stouchton, and congratulations on the new truck. Has that error message popped up again? Let me know; if needed, I can escalate this to your regional customer service manager. To make that happen, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

#8 ·
Just left Sante Fe Ford. Truck was hooked up to computer and showed no faults held in truck. They emailed ford. Ford said itruck wasn't holding any faults they couldn't tell anything. The DEF in the truck as of now was filled at factory and is full. Ford said for us to go ahead on vacation and if we have issues again go to the nearest dealer. 65,0000.00 on new truck and 4 days in are already having issues. I will say Sante Fe Ford took us right in and did all they could do to help us.
Would really appreciate any suggestions.

#9 · (Edited)
I'd highly recommend using a cell phone and snapping pictures of the alerts going off. What was the exact message on your display? Did it say that you had Contaminated DEF? My guess is that you may have a bad NOX sensor which can cause DEF related errors/warnings.

I know people buy these trucks to put them to work but you do realize Ford does say not to tow anything for the first 1,000 miles, correct? For spending $65,000, why wouldn't you follow the break in procedures the correct way? It sucks that you most likely have a bad sensor but on the flip side (I'm sure unrelated), you are not doing what Ford says to do with a brand new truck.

#10 ·
When we purchased truck. We told the dealer we were leaving in 3 days to go on a trip and pull a 38 ft camper. This being the reason for purchase. No one at the dealership said anything about a break in period. This is why we didn't know. I have been in the marine business for years and we ALWAYS emphasize to customers that on a new outboard there is a break in period. You would think when a customer tells them they are leaving in 3 days and pulling that size of a camper, hence buying the dually a towing vehicle. They would tell you no towing for 1000 miles. Hell, they tell you about every extended warranty you can buy. But thanks for the info. After reading the forums here, apparently ford is having issues with this sensor.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes, it seems to be a crap shoot on whether the sensor fails or not. I know it is not what one wants to hear but I'd just buy the sensor and change it out yourself if it was me (I envision all these sensors just being tossed in a parts bin and they get picked out one at a time). They are not expensive and I completely understand that being a brand new truck, you shouldn't be out any money.

But since you are towing heavy and are away from home, it is a hell of a lot more inconvenient to be having these issues. Just my $0.02.

Or as I had said, take a picture of the messages when you get them and get the dealer to change it out.

As far as the dealer and break in.. many on here will tell you that most members on the forums know more then a salesman ever will. It is a shame that they didn't tell you this but if you'd like to read the break in section, it is page 207 of the 2015 Superduty manual. I really wouldn't be concerned if you were towing a boat or a snowmobile trailer but 16k is a lot of weight to tow with no break in. Again, if it is the sensor, I'm sure it is unrelated but I wanted to throw it out there since these Beasts are not cheap as you mentioned.

Edited: after researching online for you, it seems these sensors on eBay are running in the $200 +/- range. That's not something I'd want to eat out of my own pocket. Was surprised to see them so expensive compared to the EGT sensors that are about $40.

#14 ·
Any update???

I have a 2015 f350 platinum with 6.7 and 11k ... Two weeks ago the same started for me. First with DEF system fault, then in 50 miles you will be reduced to 50 mph followed by warning that it will be idled soon. Sure enough, it got stuck in idle mode and has been towed to ford twice. The first trip all they did was flash the computer and reset code. Waiting to hear what the verdict is this time???

If you have an update I would appreciate it!

Chuck

#16 ·
i had the same message come on my dash today and the funny thing is i haven't driven it since Monday morning i have been setting the truck up the last 2 days and getting it ready to go, truck has 300 miles on it, talked to the dealer today and he told me to top it off with DEF fluid and see what happens, will keep you posted

#18 ·
This sucks guys. Don't mean to derail but does it not drive all of you crazy that we get faults and the truck will limit speed then idle then shut down, but gassers can run around with emission faults and check engine lights on for years like 7 to be exact until it has to be smogged in cali. I am a ASE Master tech and it drives me nuts, they can control our diesels like this. Sorry off my soap box now.

#21 ·
Update: drove truck over the weekend and message kept coming on every couple miles "Exhaust Fluid System Fault" in 50 miles truck will be retarded down to 50 MPH, got to 50 miles and message came back and said at restart will be retarded to 50 MPH, so i shut truck off and restarted and message disappeared, so the Ford salesman showed up to take truck to dealership to get detailed and i told him about it, turns out DEF pump went bad so they had pump replaced, i will get the truck back tomorrow and will hit the road with my 1st load, trying to stay positive 60K Truck hope she runs like my 6.4 did

#22 ·
...the Ford salesman showed up to take truck to dealership to get detailed and i told him about it, turns out DEF pump went bad so they had pump replaced, i will get the truck back tomorrow...
Come back and tell us how things go when you pick up the truck today, loaded. If you need any help, I'm always just a PM away.

Crystal

#24 ·
I have a 2015 that the info center in the dash says engine idled def system fault see manual ... It had a engine light on for the pump . I removed the tank found dirt in tank . Cleaned it all out replaced the reservoir , pump hose and injector check engine light is now off but message is still in dash . Does this need to be reprogrammed since it appears to be locked out and truck only goes 3 mph

#26 ·
I am having a similar problem but the last time I added DEF was well over 3000 miles and there were no faults suddenly I get a DEF fault when towing a 10K trailer and lucky to make it home before it went into idle. I took the truck to the dealer and they claim DEF is contaminated except the the test they do only uses a hydrometer to tell the percent of urea compared to water in the fluid. They siphoned out 2 gallons and replaced it reset the fault but the fault came right back again. This time I siphoned out 3 gallons and checked the urea level with a hydrometer you can buy on Ebay and the level was perfect. My point being without doing a chemical analysis they can't really be sure it is contaminated and the hydrometer reading can easily be done wrong, it only takes a small air bubble to cause a miss reading floating to many balls in the hydrometer. This is over yet for me I am worried about them trying to stick me with a bill for something that is defective in the DEF system because they have no way of knowing for sure without having a chemical analysis done at a lab. If the dealer takes fluid directly from your tank and sends it out for chemical analysis that is real proof nothing else especially from a new mechanic that doesn't know much telling you the DEF is contaminated.

#27 ·
Newbie here...
I had my 2012 F-350 check engine light come on over the weekend. I took the truck the local dealership and just got the call that the DEF sender is failing. After reading through the post from others, it seems that this is a regular occurrence? The dealership is quoting $900+ to fix this.

Is this the same issue as this post? Is Ford addressing this?

Thx,
Mike

#28 ·
Hi FordServie...2016 F350 with DEF System Fault...twice! only 4200 miles on it...anyway you can contact my Dealer and walk them through the repair? They are not very familiar with this issue...1st time, the had the truck for 3 days and exactly 2 weeks later the error came back...all they did the 1st time was to do a software update...I cannot PM you as I am a newbie...how do we go about this? Thanks

#29 ·
Well I had the DEF System Fault at 3100 miles...DEF was full, said "in 50 miles speed reduce to 50mph" and started counting down...took to dealer. when it was a 4 miles until 50mph..3 days later, they re-flashed (software update) my computer and cleared the codes...it was ok for exactly 2 weeks...got the same "In 50 miles the speed will be limited to 50mph"...I wasn't going to take it to dealer again and waste more money on Uber for going to work (truck is my only vehicle)...so I let it run down to Zero...then I got the message "speed limited to 50mph after restart"...I do a lot of city and rush hour driving, so it didn't bother me at all...got home and unplugged both batteries for 10 minutes, grounded the positive terminals to completely discharge the entire electrical system, plugged the batteries back and I have not seen any error messages since...I now have driven 1600 miles since, and it is all good.

#30 ·
DEF Sensor Failure

I am one of the many --apparently-- who is having problems with the DEF system fault message.
Never fear. I found the answer--make sure you have def in the tank by either filling it or checking by way of your dashboard "information" system that says Diesel Exhaust fluid "OK".
Then ignore all the in 100--50--30--20-- miles vehicle will be limited to 50 MPH until it runs down to -0- GUESS WHAT-- it doesn't limit to 50 mph!!!! And the next time you turn off and crank the system fault message is gone.It's a computer!!!! and it reboots!!
This worked for me. Just remember to carry a spare jug of def with you at all times. Now they tell me you shouldn't keep it in a hot location for long periods of time or it will jell and screw up your system. Another case of bad design to comply with EPD regulations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.