The Diesel Stop banner

'2015 F350 - No oil pressure gauge or PID

16K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  702GT 
#1 ·
After buying my new 2015 F350 Lariat, I realized there was no oil pressure guage. After I installed the Edge CTS, I went through the PID menu and still no way to monitor oil pressure. I have been a motorhead since the '60s and have never owned a car or truck that did not have an oil pressure gauge. To me, this is one of the basic engine conditions that should be monitored. What gives?

#2 ·
I thought the exact same. --60K+ truck and something as simple as an oil pressure gauge is missing? I have an ISS Pro gauge to install soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Ford abandoned oil pressure gauges on trucks 3 decades ago. They moved to a switch that made the gauge go to a fixed mid range point. If you have 8 psi then you have "normal" oil pressure, less than 8 psi then no oil pressure. If they had put a gauge in it it would have been nothing more informative than a warning lamp.

THEIR COMPETITORS GIVE THEIR BUYERS A REAL GAUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 ·
I actually googled this very question, of why Ford doesn't use real gauge readings in their cars. I can't find any official response from Ford, or if the question was even asked. You'd think it would be idiot gauges because some people would freak out if they saw their oil pressure gauge peg max or hover around low. But there must be a different reason than Ford just thinks we're idiots. Cost, integration, or some other grand FoMoCo excuse. Just like my mustang, I'll have to do it for them and install one myself. Personally, I feel an oil pressure gauge is useful particularly if you are switching oil viscosity seasonally. And of course if you are having engine problems that could be catastrophic, they will usually manifest in oil pressure readings and sometimes give you enough heads up to consider shutting down.

What irritates me about the Super Duty is there is no Exhaust Temp sensor. What's up with that? Ford doesn't find exhaust temp relative to how a turbo diesel runs?

#5 ·
You mean no exhaust temperature gauge? There are PIDs to pull the exhaust gas temperatures. Unfortunately there is no PID to pull the oil pressure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#6 ·
What PID is it? It's apparently not loaded to my Livewire TS, as that's what I use to monitor OBDII vitals. I've looked through LiveLink to see if I could upload a EGT PID but if I use full verification mode on LiveLink, the list of optional PID's that come back for selectable upload do not include EGT. Am I missing something? May have to see if there is a SCT thread somewhere on the forum.

#9 ·
When you give a real oil pressure gauge or a temp gauge that is not attenuated then you will have customers that do not like the gauge readings. Dumb it down and quiet the uninformed.
Oil pressure will rise and fall with engine speed and will be lower when engine is worked hard. You mark below normal and above normal and support that with an explanation in the owner's manual.
Same for true temp readings. The reality is the temp goes up climbing hills and idling in a drive through at McDonald's. Mark gauge and explain it in owner's manual.
What Ford puts in the owner's guide and what is actually on the instrument cluster could be a case for fraud. The gauge does not deliver what the text in owner's manual promises.

What issues do true gauges cause with the competitor's? None that I am aware of.

#10 ·
I just acquired a new 2016 F-350 PowerStroke. And like some of you others. I'm baffled that there's a turbo boost gauge (which seems to me of very limited utility) and NO OIL PRESSURE GAUGE...

Yes, I agree that HOPEFULLY the ECM will shut things down if the oil pressure gets wonky, but I'd MUCH rather have a GAUGE I can see. I did a quick look and most of the gauges think the A pillar would be the place to put 'em... WHICH AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN on the 2016 F-350, which had a honkin' big grab handle on the pillar...

SO, I have the Edge CTS I originally got for my 2005 Silverado Duramax, and I'm wondering if I can plug it into the F-350 and use it to provide better temp and pressure information that the "less than optimal" display on the dash... I have TUNES in the Edge for the Duramax - can I get rid of them since I DON'T want anything screwing with the F-350? AND, does the Edge CTS have the ability to display oil pressure WITHOUT having to add additional sensors like it requires for EGT?

#11 ·
AND, does the Edge CTS have the ability to display oil pressure WITHOUT having to add additional sensors like it requires for EGT?
The answer here is no--there are no PIDs to pull the oil pressure from the PCM (at least I have searched exhaustively and not found any). I am going to fabricate a fiberglass plate that will fit on top of the instrument cluster (contoured) and will be mounting three Autometer gauge cups (front and rear axle temp and oil pressure). If you only want the oil pressure gauge, you could use this - DASH TOP, SINGLE, 2-1/16", FORD SUPER DUTY 08-12; it shows that it will fit a 2011-2012 and I do not think the dash changed for the later models.

#12 ·
I recall it's more of an Oil Pressure switch. The dash Oil Pressure is just for looks, once the pressure drops below (set point) the alerts start happening. Since the PCM is monitoring just about everything there's no reason to rely on the driver to be smart when issues arise. (humor)

#13 ·
ECM/PCM will not shut it off. Lots of warnings but no shut down. There are enough lawyers in the world to defend a corp for getting you in front of an 18 wheeler and killing engine. Well, maybe if your DPF stops up.

Oil pressure shut downs are not done. Some commercial vehicles will do key off, no start next cycle for such things.

Yes, Ford started using oil pressure switches to drive gauges AND for alerts in the early nineties, maybe late 80's for F series.
I did a write up online for conversion on OBS trucks 20 something year ago. You could remove switch and insert sender and remove cluster and pull a resistor on back of that oil P gauge and you'd have a working real gauge. The next gen had the resistor built inside gauge and that did in that workaround.

#14 ·
You should be able to mount a guage pod on the A pillar. I had an Autometer guage pod on my 2005 and you just had to remove the grab handle to install. Is there anybody out there that has actually used the drivers side A pillar grab handle?

I would like to think that most people who buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup are smart enough to read an oil pressure guage. Maybe I'm from the Jurassic period?

Maybe somebody like Edge will figure out how to program oil pressure into one of their monitors.

#15 ·
No matter what you'll have to install a "T" fitting (unless the oil filter housing has an extra tap) to the existing OEM oil pressure switch tap. From there you'll need your own oil pressure sensor (such as ones supplied with electric-style aftermarket oil pressure gauges). You'll have to keep the OEM pressure switch on one end of the "T" and the aftermarket on the other end of the "T". Otherwise you'll fault the PCM into displaying low/no oil pressure.

On my '08 Mustang I removed the OEM oil pressure switch and installed the aftermarket sensor in its place. The dash gauge doesn't read and throws "Low Oil Pressure" faults at startup. I hit reset, and go about my business. If Ford ever hooked up to my mustang, they'd see no oil pressure for the last 65k/mi. I'm not sure if it would work the same way for the Super Duty, but given the nature of the Super Duty, you will likely need service/warranty work done at some point, so you don't want to give Ford any reason to suspect the truck has operated with low/no oil pressure willfully.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.