34 MPG with the 6.7 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
34 MPG with the 6.7

Journalists Squeeze 2011 Ford Super Duty For Impressive Fuel Economy - CleanMPG Forums

This probably has been posted before
Renowned hypermiler Wayne Gerdes squeezes out 34 mpg over an 80 mile road course and 28 mpg from Az to Chicago
Johnny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

very nice

If my 2011 got close to 20mpg I'd have a heart attack! 5 gallons of DEF in 5k miles, and the DPF kicked in 3 times before it hit 1k.

Love the truck but it's no prius!
qmurder24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I think I got stuck behind that guy. In the left lane going really slow and when traffic slows it takes him 3 miles to get back to 50 MPH from 24 MPH.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

as far as I can tell I'm going to get 16 mpg city,highway and up to 18 highway. Have 20,000 on it now. I'm a little disapointed in that but it is a big heavy truck and I can live with it. Jim.
fordmiffed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just picked up my truck last weekend and I'm seeing between 18 and 22 between highway and small town driving. F250 4x4 with 3.31s.

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide App
Old 12-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmiffed View Post
as far as I can tell I'm going to get 16 mpg city,highway and up to 18 highway. Have 20,000 on it now. I'm a little disapointed in that but it is a big heavy truck and I can live with it. Jim.
You are in line with my mileage... I cannot drive 50 mph on a 75mph interstate... I get a little less when I do strictly city driving, but it is better than any gas vehicle I have owned and about the same as any diesel truck I have owned.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting.

That post is from 3/10.

During my day to day commute, when I try to get good mileage, I can sneak it up to 21.5-22mpg average on a tank.

That is a 45 mile commute each way with ~30 miles of it at a steady 65mpg.
Very little stop and go.

My weekend mileage will drop, but I can generally keep it above 20.5 mpg average.

Can't see anyway to get 34mpg real world mileage.

My truck is a 2wd, CC, 3:31, 18", with a Retrax.

Purchased 5/26/11... 2011 F250 Lariat CC SWB 6.7, LineX Premium, Retrax Pro.... 53k traded 12/24/12
Stolen 5/15/11... 2002 F250 XLT Sport SC SWB 7.3 304xxx, LineX, Retrax
KJ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmurder24 View Post
Love the truck but it's no prius!
I hope not.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

OK, they can post what they want about mileage on these trucks, and if you try hard enough, you can coax higher mileage numbers out of them than most of us get regularly. The bottom line is that MOST of us don't drive 51.2 mph on the interstate, we don't take 2 1/2 hours to go from 25 mph up to our 51.2 mph (that we don't drive), and we don't baby these trucks to try and equal a Toyota Camry's mileage. I bought this truck to tow my trailer with and I would love to say that I can get 20 mpg on the highway doing that, but......I can't......and it never will. I drive 70 to 72 mph on the interstate while towing, and I could wish for better mileage until the damn cows come home, but when I'm ready to go somewhere with the truck and trailer,.....I'm ready to go, NOT poke along at 50 mph or 62.4 mph or any other number other than the legal (and sometimes slightly over) speed limit. I really get kind of ill seeing all the posts about mileage on these trucks. Do you suppose the Camry and Prius forums are constantly talking about how much weight that they can tow or how much weight they can stick in the trunk of their cars?

" Hi......my name is Joe and I just bought a Prius and I was able to put a Christmas tree on the roof of my car and actually get it home. The back end was sagging pretty bad and I'm thinking about maybe getting some airbags and an on-board air compressor for the rear air bags. Oh, BTW, my mileage went from 42.9 mpg all the way down to 37.7 mpg on the trip home with the tree. I don't know if it was all that extra weight or if the wind resistance is what got me. I was sure that the salesman told me that it would be above 40 mpg....even when towing my 5th wheeler with it. Blah, blah, blah..........and so on!"

These 6.7 diesel trucks are incredible at what they do and I'm pretty happy overall with mine..........although I've never tried to haul a Christmas tree with it yet!

Last edited by xrated; 12-14-2011 at 07:12 PM.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wasn't that article also written before the re-calibrated 6.7L engine where the hp was bumped by 10 and the ft/lbs also bumped?

Not trying to say that 34mpg wasn't a monumental achievement but I would fall asleep at the wheel driving like that.

Last edited by RedRocket204; 12-14-2011 at 06:42 PM.
RedRocket204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Christmas tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
OK, they can post what they want about mileage on these trucks, and if you try hard enough, you can coax higher mileage numbers out of them than most of us get regularly. The bottom line is that MOST of us don't drive 51.2 mph on the interstate, we don't take 2 1/2 hours to go from 25 mph up to our 51.2 mph (that we don't drive), and we don't baby these trucks to try and equal a Toyota Camry's mileage. I bought this truck to tow my trailer with and I would love to say that I can get 20 mpg on the highway doing that, but......I can't......and it never will. I drive 70 to 72 mph on the interstate while towing, and I could wish for better mileage until the damn cows come home, but when I'm ready to go somewhere with the truck and trailer,.....I'm ready to go, NOT poke along at 50 mph or 62.4 mph or any other number other than the legal (and sometimes slightly over) speed limit. I really get kind of ill seeing all the posts about mileage on these trucks. Do you suppose the Camry and Prius forums are constantly talking about how much weight that they can tow or how much weight they can stick in the trunk of their cars?

" Hi......my name is Joe and I just bought a Prius and I was able to put a Christmas tree on the roof of my car and actually get it home. The back end was sagging pretty bad and I'm thinking about maybe getting some airbags and an on-board air compressor for the rear air bags. Oh, BTW, my mileage went from 42.9 mpg all the way down to 37.7 mpg on the trip home with the tree. I don't know if it was all that extra weight or if the wind resistance is what got me. I was sure that the salesman told me that it would be above 40 mpg....even when towing my 5th wheeler with it. Blah, blah, blah..........and so on!"

These 6.7 diesel trucks are incredible at what they do and I'm pretty happy overall with mine..........although I've never tried to haul a Christmas tree with it yet!
LOL , i hauled a couple christmas trees and it passed the test with aces. Happy holidays everyone.jim.
fordmiffed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

The only way there getting 30-35mpg. Is with 3.31 gears @ 38-42mph in 6th gear. That yields about 900-950rpm's. Who drives that slow and that consistently? Nobody does.
Old 12-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

There was another report where the guys loaded 1,000 lbs in the rear, 5 guys in the cab, and drove 2,400 miles round trip (I think) and got like 27 mpg.

Same thing though... 17 inch wheels at like 85psi, keep RPM at like 1,000 etc. It was a challenge, not an EPA estimate.

I CAN tell you, I changed my fuel filters on my '11 at like 10,000 miles, and on a 210 mile trip at 75-80 mph, I saw over 20mpg. I also saw a noticeable improvement in throttle response.

I wouldn't wait for that filter maintenance. At like $45 for the kit (both filters) and 30 minutes time, its worth it to do it every 10k. Even though Ford asks for it to be every 20K (I think).
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

I went to the guys website and I found videos on how they are achieving 50 mpg in cars rated for 35 mpg. Its the pulse and glide method. They get up to (small scion) 30 mph in a 40, kill the engine with a kill switch, coast down to 20, put the tranny back in gear and then pop the clutch. Why not let the car idle and drive around town at a crawl? He is getting good gas mileage but the people behind him are forced to brake/accelerate over and over again.
Johnny7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2011, 05:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
They also used specially blended fuel. Drafted extremely close and a whopping top speed of 45. What a flipping joke. Lol
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.