6.7 fuel pump ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.7 fuel pump ?

Has Ford found a solution to the fuel pump problem yet ? Also the shifting problem ? I have been thinking of trading in my 2006 6.0 with 65,000 miles. No problems with the 6.0 yet. But I'm getting nerves .
06 F350 dually XLT, Captain chairs, 4x2,4.10, 6.0, CC, 8ft bed,Reese Signature Series 18k hitch, 2006 Ceder Creek Fifth Wheel Two Honda 2000 generator's,six 6 volt batteries,3000 watt inverter + a 6500 watt Mountain Master remote start generator and lots of time to enjoy it, "RETIRED"!
dekean867 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have yet to read about a fuel pump problem that did not sound like it was self inflicted on these 6.7L. I don't know if the '12s or '13s still have shifting issues, I do know that they seem to have the corrections for my '11 printed out in TSBs.
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

The HPFP problem has affected less than 1/2 of 1% of the trucks out there and as stated, for the most part was caused by error on the part of the driver. Usually DEF or Gas place into the diesel fuel tank. It is a very expensive failure, that is typically not covered by warranty, So it garnered a lot of attention and speculation on the websites. But very few owners have really had to deal with it.

I don't know that we have a true failure rate for HPFP that have just failed on their own, with out an owner operated error. But it is a very small percentage.

My concern is will this problem become more common after the trucks start hitting 100,000 miles. ( or some other high mileage) In the past, I have usually traded off trucks every 100,000 miles, But I'm tempted to keep this past that mileage and hope that I don't run into outrageous repair bills. A $12,000 repair on a used truck worth $25,000 may just put it in the scrap yard. That will be a difficult decision to justify rebuilding a fuel system on truck with lots of miles.

As far as the tranny shifts. I had 3 hard shifts on my truck, mostly during cold weather. The TSB fixed mine and for last 40,000 miles I've not even thought of the tranny. Again most drivers are very happy with their trucks. If you happen to get one that does have some problems with shifting, It seems to be a difficult problem to tract down.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png

Last edited by Painted Horse; 01-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I havent read anything about HPFP failures from any member on here with more the 5 posts. I see threads pop up from time to time, but never from someone actually having a HPFP issue. As far as the shifting issues go your guess is as good as mine. I have 21k on my 2011 now and have had maybe 20 total instances of clunky shifts. As far as I know my software is current, but a rough shift every 500 miles doesn't scare me away.
scjmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

My 2011 (nock on wood) has been shift flaw free for 27,000 miles now. (Since new)

2012 Starcraft 278 BHS 5er

2009 Polaris Ranger XP
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekean867 View Post
Has Ford found a solution to the fuel pump problem yet ?
There is no problem with the fuel pumps. The issue it that the pump is very sensitive to fuel contamination... as are all current high pressure fuel systems on all diesels. Some would say, and I don't disagree, that the fuel delivery and filtration system could be better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekean867 View Post
Also the shifting problem ?
Transmission issues were primarily limited to 2011 models for which there are effective corrective measures. Ford has also fine-tuned the electronic controls and worked out most of the kinks by now. I don't recall having any 2012 trucks in for transmission concerns.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Your biggest enemy besides the error of def or gas in place of diesel is water.

If you buy your fuel from high volume locations..try to stick with truck stops and change your fuel filters on time plus drain your fuel water separator monthly you should be ok.

I have a 2008 and it has been just fine.

Issue is the fuel pump (hpfp) gets its lubrication from the fuel. So it is important to get good fuel.
senix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Ford Doc, I appreciate your contributions.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Just seems like the right place to post this about a month ago kept getting this intermittent really loud almost roaring type noise from under my truck finally narrowed it down to the fuel pump. Every stoplight it was loud enough to hear inside the cab with the windows rolled up and the radio on. So actually got it into the dealer while it was still making the noise and they said it was a first for them. They took the truck for a few then brought it back and the noise was gone said they took the filter off then put it back on and the noise had stopped.Just seems that taking a filter off then putting it back on wouldn't really fix anything it did stop but why? I do drain it but never with it running, just got this feeling it is coming back
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar, Pro Comp 2 Inch Nitro Leveling Kit, Fuel 22" Maverick Wheels , Nitto 325/50R22 Terra Grappler, Westin Bull Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
Just seems like the right place to post this about a month ago kept getting this intermittent really loud almost roaring type noise from under my truck finally narrowed it down to the fuel pump. Every stoplight it was loud enough to hear inside the cab with the windows rolled up and the radio on. So actually got it into the dealer while it was still making the noise and they said it was a first for them. They took the truck for a few then brought it back and the noise was gone said they took the filter off then put it back on and the noise had stopped.Just seems that taking a filter off then putting it back on wouldn't really fix anything it did stop but why? I do drain it but never with it running, just got this feeling it is coming back

There are two main causes for excessive DFCM fuel pump noise:
  1. Air in the fuel system - May be caused by damage to the DFCM lower bowl stops, damage to the lower bowl O-ring, a loose (not fully seated) lower bowl, drain valve not fully closed, low fuel level, or air trapped in the system after performing maintenance or repairs.
  2. Inlet restriction - Is commonly caused by a restricted primary fuel filter. The primary fuel filter may become restricted due to normal filtering operation or fuel gelling when operating in very cold ambient temperatures. Fuel filter life is dependent on the quality of fuel used. Poor fuel quality may require the fuel filters to be replaced more often than the recommended scheduled maintenance interval. Other causes could be restriction in the fuel tank, plugged or kinked fuel lines, etc.
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 01-06-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ford Doc the reason the Tech took off the filter was to check for trash said that it was clean. I live in NC really haven't had any cold weather yet but have already been running anti-gel just in case. It seems to me that when my fuel gets around 1/4 tank or less is when I start hearing the noise, not sure how the fuel pickup works in these could that be the problem or is that out in left field?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar, Pro Comp 2 Inch Nitro Leveling Kit, Fuel 22" Maverick Wheels , Nitto 325/50R22 Terra Grappler, Westin Bull Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Ford Doc the reason the Tech took off the filter was to check for trash said that it was clean. I live in NC really haven't had any cold weather yet but have already been running anti-gel just in case. It seems to me that when my fuel gets around 1/4 tank or less is when I start hearing the noise, not sure how the fuel pickup works in these could that be the problem or is that out in left field?

The less than a 1/4 tank comment is the issue here then. This is a known condition by Ford and it is considered a normal charactaristic of the vehicle. Like it or not it is what it is.
Diesel Mentor Directory
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
The less than a 1/4 tank comment is the issue here then. This is a known condition by Ford and it is considered a normal charactaristic of the vehicle. Like it or not it is what it is.
Is it just a noise or is it potentially damage causing?
ShumpH15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Ford Doctor thanks for the input, the things one can learn after my most recent purchase of new 2012 F350 6.7. Note to my wife, don't let the fuel gauge get below 1/4 tank (9 gals) or you will hearing noises coming from engine that will be louder then the radio, don't worry Ford said it's normal. WTH is with that might I ask.

SOLD and missed very much!
1997 F350 XLT Lariat 7.3 Reg Cab 4X4 Off Road Package
5 spd Manual with South Bend Clutch Upgrade
AFE Stage 2
Diamond Eye 3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust Cat Delete
TS 6 Pos Chip / Autometer Pyro & Boost
WARN Winch
Original Owner 178,000 Miles
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
...So actually got it into the dealer while it was still making the noise and they said it was a first for them. They took the truck for a few then brought it back and the noise was gone said they took the filter off then put it back on and the noise had stopped.Just seems that taking a filter off then putting it back on wouldn't really fix anything it did stop but why? I do drain it but never with it running, just got this feeling it is coming back
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350ninty7 View Post
Ford Doctor thanks for the input, the things one can learn after my most recent purchase of new 2012 F350 6.7. Note to my wife, don't let the fuel gauge get below 1/4 tank (9 gals) or you will hearing noises coming from engine that will be louder then the radio, don't worry Ford said it's normal. WTH is with that might I ask.
Hi Steve Campbell and F350ninty7,

If you're concerned, I recommend visiting your local dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate you to your regional customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.