The Diesel Stop banner

AC problem after remote start...warranty issue?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a buddy with a 2015 F250 CC 4x4 Platinum with the 6.7 that is having an issue with his AC. He says he will have the AC set at about 72 in the morning when he is heading to work. When he gets out and its scorching hot, he will use his key fob to start the truck and let it start cooling off. When he gets in and tries to lower the temp to as cold as it will go or Lo the fan reduces speed and will not go back up. He says the issue is only when he uses the remote start feature. He has taken it to a couple dealers and they are telling him that they do not know what is causing the problem and that some of the other new trucks on the lot do the same thing. His vehicle only has about 4000 miles on it and has been in the shop multiple times for this but they are not really doing anything for him. He is extremely frustrated to say the least. Anybody else have a similar problem or know of a fix? I directed him to this site so hopefully he joins and can elaborate on what I have posted.

Thanks

#2 ·
sounds typical. I leave mine on the "Auto" setting. When I remote start it, it may blow fan or may not.....and same for when I turn on the key after remote start or key start.

Tell him to go read the owner's manual on climate controls.

#3 ·
Typical? Really? I have not noticed it in my truck. Are you saying it is working the way it was intended to?

#4 ·
From the 2015 Owner's Manual.....

REMOTE START (If Equipped)

The remote start feature allows you to
pre-condition the interior of your vehicle.
The climate control system works to
achieve comfort according to your previous
settings.

Note: You cannot adjust the system during
remote start operation.

Turn the ignition on to return the system
to its previous settings. You can now make
adjustments normally, but you need to turn
certain vehicle-dependent features back
on, such as:

• Heated seats.
• Cooled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.

You can adjust the default remote start
settings using the information display
controls. See Information Displays
(page 83).

Automatic Settings

In hot weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The cooled seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display).

In moderate weather, the system either
heats or cools (based on previous
settings). The rear defroster, heated
mirrors and heated seats do not
automatically turn on.

In cold weather, the system is set to 72°F
(22°C). The heated seats are set to high
(if available, and selected to AUTO in the
information display). The rear defroster
and heated mirrors automatically turn on.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#6 ·
Maybe I am missing something here but what he is saying is happening is that after he puts the key in after a remote start and trys to adjust the temp to a lower temp the fans cut out and will not come back up.

#7 · (Edited)
This is normal and what is happening when using the Remote Start function is the software is programmed such when key is turned on the fan returns to last position it was at when truck was turned off at. As the truck is usually cooled down when shut off, the fan is at low so then turns back on at low. It does this for 30 minutes I believe. There is a huge posting on this on another Ford Truck diesel site. My truck does this too. To get around that you shut off the system and turn it back on and then it returns to normal.

2012 F350 CCSB 6.7l
Sent From Infinity and Beyond

#8 · (Edited)
I was going to recommend comparing this to like vehicles of the same model year but I will take hawkerpilot05's replay as such. At work this week I will check this out if I have any similar trucks come in but the symptom suggests to me that there is a programming glitch in the HVAC module or the module itself. In comparison, My new Ford Fusion does not display this behavior. If I use the remote start the climate control functions similarly to what Larry posted from the WSM above. But, If I get in the car and hit the start button, my DATC resumes functioning with the settings I left when I shut the car off and I can change settings normally. I presume that should be the normal behavior for a Super Duty as well and I cannot think of any reason why it would be different.

While coming onto public forums and discussing this helps you understand what is going on with the truck, it is not going to help correct the condition. While Ford Motor Company does monitor public forums not everything that is posted will get attention. I highly recommend that anyone with a truck exhibiting this climate control concern take the truck into the dealership, demonstrate what it is doing and have them look into it. I have looked into this and I do not see any service messages or bulletins for this concern. If enough vehicles are presented to the dealerships and enough of the technicians contact our Hot-Line I am sure engineering will take notice. Ford cannot diagnose the problem and come up with a repair unless the right people know about it.

Reactions: trgraysn
#9 ·
My 2015 Platinum exhibits this same behavior when I use the remote start.
I just touch the off button and then auto when I get in after I put the key in.
I do need to get into the programming to get the seat cooler to come on with the remote though.

#10 ·
Tell him before he shuts down to place the system in AUTO with the AC on with the fan at the highest speed. When he uses the remote start he should find the system running (only to 72*) then once the key is in the ignition cylinder and turned the AC should come on as he left it. Report his findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.