B20 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
B20

Wally has been putting b20 some of their pumps I see and I was wondering if anybody is using it? Like it or hate it???
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've used it before, by accident really. I didn't know it untill I had fiiled one tank, then I noticed a sticker on the pump that said it was between 6 and 10% biodiesel!?! I couldn't tell any difference though.
1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4:10 limited slip, K&N Air Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo back w/muffler, Edge programmer, Billet torque converter, Monster tranny cooler.

2004 Cadillac CTS V 5.7 LS6, Tremec 6 speed,
K&N Cold Air, Magnaflow Exhaust, MSD Ignition,
LS7 clutch, Getrag 3:73 posi-trac, 377 RWHP
badbart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've done one tank of B20, by accident. I didn't notice any difference. Never towed or anything other than normal daily driving.
BakFlip G2 Bed Cover
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
edjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I've run everything from B5 to B20. Multiple tanks of B20. Even at B20 I couldn't tell the difference. The fewer regens help offset the slightly less MPG you get. Careful if you have a lot of miles with regular diesel - even B20 will clean the tank and the lines out. Possible to clog a fuel filter up and it also gels at a higher temp then regular D2. Treatments will help with that. (I don't worry about it since I am rarely in temps below 40F.)

Now to try and find a Wally World with diesel around me...
Old 11-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

I top off my tank with it every once in a while if I'm going past one of the few stations that has. As mentioned it will clean out your fuel system and has good lubricating qualities. I've never noticed any difference in performance or mileage. But sometimes, depending on concentration, I can smell a difference in my exhaust. Especially with my Skid loader or Mini Excavtor that don't have the emission stuff. You get a real pop-corn or french fry kinda of smell.

But it is impossible to find around here after Oct 1st when the winter grade fuel comes out. Station just stop selling until springtime. They don't want their dispensing pumps gel'd up any more than we want our trucks gel'd.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dak

NO Wallyworld's around me sell Diesel, much less B20.

PH - When I had a VW Diesel (pre 2007) I noticed a lot less black soot in the back of the car when I used BioDiesel too. Do you notice that as well, with your non-DPF equipment?

This 'new' post 2007 ULSD fuel smells a WHOLE lot better than the old high sulfur stuff. Biodiesel makes it even better. Not that I recommend using it as cologne/perfume... At least I can wash my hands and the smell disppears, unlike if I got a drop on my before you went the rest of the day smelling like an oil refinery.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would like to know from someone who really knows if bio is good or bad for the truck. I have an 08 and 12 and both do not regen as much on bio.
66 EL Camino 427 4 speed
2012 F250 King Ranch 4x4 nav.
jcason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

My mechanic (22 yr Ford Tech) says it won't hurt the motor to run it, but some of the earlier trucks had laminated fuel tank liners and it would destroy them over time. Mine has steel tanks so I'm ok. He runs transmission fluid in his two F250's.
1997 F350 XLT Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 Powerstroke, 4:10 limited slip, K&N Air Filter, MBRP 4" Turbo back w/muffler, Edge programmer, Billet torque converter, Monster tranny cooler.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dak

What year F250's? - I would not run tranny fluid in anything newer than 2004... Especially if he is running used tranny fluid -- Then again, he is a mechanic so if it throws an injector or breaks something he already has the tools and knowledge to change it.

Other than my older vehicle running B99, only thing I noticed was that the entire fuel delivery system was cleaner. Power was down slightly, fuel milage was down slightly, and the exhaust was cleaner. If you run B99 after years and a ton of miles of running the regular stuff, but ready to change your fuel filter soon. On ours trucks at least check it as they could be pretty nasty from the BIO cleaning the system out. Granted today's diesel is a WHOLE lot cleaner than the previous low sulfur diesel blends were.

B20 - I don't notice a power or fuel mileage difference. Everything I have run only B20 on, was never old enough to notice anything else.

I do like having some B99 to have around as it makes a great part and tool cleaner. And is not nearly as expensive, or as toxic as anything else out there. It also seems to work a little better to boot. Problem lately is that all the bio diesel retailers around me have closed...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
What year F250's? - I would not run tranny fluid in anything newer than 2004... Especially if he is running used tranny fluid -- Then again, he is a mechanic so if it throws an injector or breaks something he already has the tools and knowledge to change it.

Other than my older vehicle running B99, only thing I noticed was that the entire fuel delivery system was cleaner. Power was down slightly, fuel milage was down slightly, and the exhaust was cleaner. If you run B99 after years and a ton of miles of running the regular stuff, but ready to change your fuel filter soon. On ours trucks at least check it as they could be pretty nasty from the BIO cleaning the system out. Granted today's diesel is a WHOLE lot cleaner than the previous low sulfur diesel blends were.

B20 - I don't notice a power or fuel mileage difference. Everything I have run only B20 on, was never old enough to notice anything else.

I do like having some B99 to have around as it makes a great part and tool cleaner. And is not nearly as expensive, or as toxic as anything else out there. It also seems to work a little better to boot. Problem lately is that all the bio diesel retailers around me have closed...
He's got a 2000 and a 2002, both 7.3's of course. He's been using tranny fluid in his 2000 for about 50-60K miles with no trouble. He has a 3 micron filter system that he built to keep it clean. I think he said he mixes three parts transmission fluid to one part diesel- more diesel in cold weather. I ran B20 in my 98 Chevy 6.5 for several years. After changing two filters in about 4000 miles it got all the gunk out of the fuel system. Ran pretty good for a 6.5. Still use it on the farm. It's got about 240K miles now.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dak

The 7.3 and tranny fluid makes sense. As well as the 3 micron filter....
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.