Bug shield - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bug shield

I had a piece of screen door between the grill and a/c radiator on my 08 6.4 and never had any problems, but as I was looking around for a new one for my 6.7 I'm seeing people say don't do it. They seem to think it will cause overheating. Has anybody heard of this ?
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bug Screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily double View Post
I had a piece of screen door between the grill and a/c radiator on my 08 6.4 and never had any problems, but as I was looking around for a new one for my 6.7 I'm seeing people say don't do it. They seem to think it will cause overheating. Has anybody heard of this ?

I don't know about the overheating, though I image that if a piece of very fine mesh screen without breathing room were attached to the radiator, overheating may occur.

But does anyone know of a high quality, aluminum framed screen assembly made with sturdy construction and attachment hardware that would complement the front end of a 2011-2013 Super Duty. If some one made one I think it would be a big seller at a price point up to $250-$300. Perhaps some handy entreprenuer will see this and design and develop and sell such a product. I'd buy one if it was of sufficient quality and durable enough to withstand the winds and bug matter that makes the front of my truck look like a splatter diagram during the summer months.
VermontWayne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have had a bug and rock screen on my truck for the past 15 years. It is made by FIA, a canadian company. Comes with stickon snaps that attach to the front grill and is made of some kind of fiber cloth with a little larger holes than window screen.

I have been amazed at how long it has lasted. I have made 3 trips to Alaska and back and have driven over 200K miles with it on.

I bought it on line and just did a search and found one at realtruck.com for under $50.00.

It certainly protects the radiators from bugs, rocks, birds, and other debris.

2013 F250 CC FX4 SWB Lariat,3-13 Build date,3.31, 18's, Line-x, Air Lift Ultimate bags w/wireless compressor, Demco Hijacker, 12K miles

95 F250SC PSD, XLT, 4X4,5SP close ratio w/Redline D4 ATF, 4.10 LS, LUK SMF w/Southbend Con O clutch, DPP downpipe & test pipe w/HP Ceramic coating,Full A Pillar w/Western Diesel pyro,boost, tranny temp,TYMAR intake, CA regulator kit, #5 to #4 HX, Skymech's glow plug bypass, fuel tank fillerneck mods, Sparky's AIC, Isspro TTM, Rhino liner, Alcoa wheel covers, Air Lift Super Duty bags on rear, DIY 6.0 Intercooler w/banks twin-ram inlet & compressor outlet, 275K miles
bukhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

I had a piece or residential bug screen in front of my 08 6.4 radiators for 30k miles. I have had the same type in front of my 6.7 radiators for 20k miles. Never an overheat problem in Florida heat or West Virginia mountains towing 16k. You would be amazed how many bugs it catches. They dry up and drop off over time rather than being pushed deeper and deeper into the radiator. Can't say how it would be in the Rockies, but since it is held in place with baby pins, it would be quick to remove.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Not sure if FIA makes their bug screens & winter fronts for the new '11-'13 trucks yet but I've run them on my old '96 PSD since I got it home from the dealer with about 20 miles on it. That's 16-1/2 years and over 300,400 miles. The winterfront gets run all winter and when it comes off in the spring the bug shield goes on.

I ran fiberglass window screen for many years with my old gas trucks but the FIA screen is much better. I do have to replace a plastic PSA snap on the grill every couple of years but the screen & winterfront still look brand new. I wouldn't run window screen held on with safety pins on a $60,000 truck.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.