The Diesel Stop banner

CEL and REDUCED POWER for "0" MTE?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  txpete 
#1 ·
Was towing light car trailer home last night and got a CEL and REDUCED POWER after more than an hour with a "0" MILES TO GO. I have an aux tank with bad/inaccurate sender that shows 0 gallons with more than 30 gallons remaining - I use "gallons used" to know when to switch from this full aux tank. So, I don't recall that this would give you a CEL and REDUCED POWER - I've run with "0" MTE before, but not this long, and usually the sender does not "stick" on "0" but jumps up and down. I switched immediately to the main tank and did not actually get the REDUCED POWER promised. Any similiar experience - I need to check the DTC code and clear my CEL light - the REDUCED POWER info data cleared after switching tanks?

#2 ·
Finally checked the code(s) and found only "P0087 Fuel rail/System Pressure - Too Low"; I expected a "P115A Low Fuel Level - Forced Limited Power"! I guess the "0" MTE reading after some time caused a P115A but it cleared when I switched tanks, and the P0087 came on when switching tanks. The P0087 and CEL remained until I hooked up my code reader and cleared it. Does anyone know what the test conditions are for the P115A, do I need to fix my aux tank sender to mechanically stop at more than "0" MTE to avoid this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.