Centane Fuel Additive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cetane Fuel Additive

Just got a 2012 Ford F550 6.7L diesel EarthRoamer. As I recall Ford really pushed a cetane booster for the 6.4L diesel. Does the 6.7L diesel need it?

Last edited by slocub; 04-18-2012 at 02:31 PM.
slocub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use it religiously. Its cheap insurance to keep your fuel pump alive, in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
RBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
I use it religiously. Its cheap insurance to keep your fuel pump alive, in my opinion.
I'm with PerryB,, I use it at every fill-up.. Stanadyne is my choice...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I use 6-8 ounces for every 40 gallons of diesel I put in. Yep like Perry said it's good insurance for your truck. Also I only use the Motorcraft products PM22A and PM23B. I will not give Ford any reason to deny my warranty by saying that I used an inferior or substandard product.
TD7667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
I agree with the others.
I use the PM22A on every fill up. Have from day 1. 4 oz per 25 gallons of diesel per the bottle.
I also don't want to give Ford any reason to deny my warranty.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

yep, I use PM22a purchased from my local dealer also....I'm paranoid, there is a reason they say to use it.
2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
JFordBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFordBronco View Post
....I'm paranoid, there is a reason they say to use it.

Who said? Where?

I don't use it.

I see no need for it. The fuel in my area has always been good enough.

Ford's (Bosch) HPFP was built to work in areas with low fuel lubricity.

That being said. If it makes you feel better... go for it.

Purchased 5/26/11... 2011 F250 Lariat CC SWB 6.7, LineX Premium, Retrax Pro.... 53k traded 12/24/12
Stolen 5/15/11... 2002 F250 XLT Sport SC SWB 7.3 304xxx, LineX, Retrax
KJ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

my dealer said to use it..... : )
2012 6.7L SRW F350 Lariat FX4 w/ 3.55 gears, 20" wheels, Oxford White in color with Adobe Leather seats and lots of other stuff I haven't figured out how to use! Thanks dear wife for buying it for me!
JFordBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I was told by 2 service managers who have been around a long time and a diesel tech to use it. You can take that for what it is worth. I feel that it doesn't do any harm to use it. I only see a postive gain in added lubricity. I never used it any other Ford diesel this was the 1st time that they recommended to use it.

Last edited by TD7667; 04-17-2012 at 07:58 PM.
TD7667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE=KJ Smith;2184748

Ford's (Bosch) HPFP was built to work in areas with low fuel lubricity.
.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get off topic here, but, what information source is that statement based on?

And I agree with the cheap insurance part. I use Optilube. Any slight increase in mpg offsets some of the cost, but I do it for the lubrication.

Last edited by cford716; 04-18-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added info
cford716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I tend to use something every tank. Sometimes I can't get by a Ford dealership and DK is easy to find. I used to order Stanadyne by the case, but the case is all gone now.

I also like to use 10%-15% biodiesel instead of an additive (I live in a warm climate) as that really keeps things lubed up and this is according to actual tests. Small percentages of biodiesel will not cause a noticeable drop in MPG or power. Tests show there is no real benefit to running higher than 20% anyways. Higher percentages in my previous diesel vehicles did show a noticeable drop in power and mileage-alhtough it wasn't a lot, it was noticeable. Regardless, I will stick within the 20% certification limit anyways. Lately, I haven't found anywhere that sells BioDiesel around me that is remotely convenient to buy from, so I have been going the regular D2 and additive route.

I know people that have never run an additive and have never had a problem. I do it because it makes me feel better and although it may be purely psychological, it seems like the truck runs a little smoother and quieter when I run Bio or and additive vs. when I haven't.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

What got me started using the Motorcraft cetane booster, was reading that the minimum cetane rating for diesel in the US was not optimal for performance of the new HP injection systems, and exhaust cleaning systems. I'm still not sure of what cetane content I am getting from pump diesel across the country. Bosch pumps and injection systems were engineered to European diesel cetane ratings which were 5-10 points higher than the US. I think that the cetane boost is like others have stated; good insurance.
I am still getting 16 oz at my dealer for ~ 6.50, which treats 4 tanks.

lubricity issues have been engineered into additive packages at refineries and by the injection system manufacturers, per the sulphur reduction in diesel fuels.

Last edited by frank faucheux; 04-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.
frank faucheux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

from Wikipedia:

Typical values
Generally, diesel engines operate well with a CN from 40 to 55. Fuels with higher cetane number have shorter ignition delays, providing more time for the fuel combustion process to be completed. Hence, higher speed diesel engines operate more effectively with higher cetane number fuels. There is no performance or emission advantage when the CN is raised past approximately 55; after this point, the fuel's performance hits a plateau.

In Europe, diesel cetane numbers were set at a minimum of 38 in 1994 and 40 in 2000. The current standard for diesel sold in European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland is set in EN 590, with a minimum cetane index of 46 and a minimum cetane number of 51. Premium diesel fuel can have a cetane number as high as 60.[2]

In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. Premium diesels may or may not have higher cetane, depending on the supplier. Premium diesel often use additives to improve CN and lubricity, detergents to clean the fuel injectors and minimize carbon deposits, water dispersants, and other additives depending on geographical and seasonal needs.
frank faucheux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good input so far. So let's say we want to aim for a centane rating of 50 in the treated fuel.

Does anyone know how much 4oz of PM-22-A in 25 gallons diesel will change the cetane rating of the treated fuel?

Last edited by slocub; 04-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.
slocub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slocub View Post
Good input so far. So let's say we want to aim for a centane rating of 50 in the treated fuel.

Does anyone know how much 4oz of PM-22-A in 25 gallons diesel will change the centane rating of the treated fuel?
Cetane, not centane. That info should be on the bottle. For example, the Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost (gray bottle) that I use adds up to 6 points to the cetane rating.
DIESEL KLEEN® +Cetane Boost®: Max HP Formula ? use during non-winter months for the ultimate in performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.