The Diesel Stop banner

Cold starts

5K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  soopretty 
#1 ·
How does this motor cold start has anyone had the temps in the 8 or 9 deg mark to start it up and drive away without a good warm up to see how it does??

#2 ·
Haven't had any single digit temps yet. But up elk hunting with temps in the 20s it was just fine.

#3 ·
its been below freeze here a cpl of times over night, truck seems too start fine glow plugs seem to take a little bit longer

#4 ·
Interested in how it does below freezing... Because I plan on driving it up north I got the bock heater. Wondering what temps I should realistically have to plug in at?

BTW, what is "a little bit longer". When I have the loaner I never saw the WTS light, but that was during the summer.

#5 ·
The new generation of glow plugs are supposed to reach their proper temp in 2-3 seconds. Even in cold temps. So I doubt you ever have a serious wait to start for the glow plugs to warm up. The block heater will be more for keeping the oil warm and keeping the fuel from gelling.

#6 ·
That and the truck will not even crank over until the glow plug heat cycle is complete. If the PCM detects a temperature requiring glow plug heat, the message center will notify the driver of the delay. Like you said, it's only a couple of seconds.

#7 ·
yeah maybe what felt like 1-1.5 seconds longer im used to cycling the gp's on my duramaxes in -35 or -40 ive had my dmaxes start in that cold not plugged in so hopefully the ford will be the same. when your way up north and no power you sometimes take a chance and sometimes you get to plug it in. i usually keep about 150-200' of extension cord in my trucks because if i have the option to plug it in i will.

#14 ·
Any healthy Powerstroke will start in pretty frigid weather,, I had -20s and my 7.3L started without plug in.

Man, you would run your 1,000W heater through 150-200' of extension cord? Have you ever heard of voltage drop? Unless you have HUGE wire in that cord, it's not going to work good.....

#8 ·
Epic - That is good to know. As I am not a frequent traveler to cold temps I might forget to wait to start. (Although I use the remote start and I would figure that Ford's remote start would be smart enough)

#9 ·
Yes, the remote start is smart enough to simply wait-out the additional time required. You may have noticed that when you turn the key to start, the engine sometimes doesn't immediately crank. That's because the starter is not directly linked to the ignition via mechanical means. It's all electronic and controlled through the PCM.

Next time you start the truck, try quickly turning the key to the start position and let off immediately. You'll notice a pause before the starter is actually engaged. In that half second or so, the PCM is waiting for, among other things, fuel pressure to rise. Depending upon ambient temps, it will wait a little longer if the glow plugs are needed.

Gone are the days of the starter being mechanically connected to the ignition.

#10 ·
I knew it wasn't electrically linked to the starter and like I said assumed it was smart enough to wait. Even gassers with the same technology wait a half second before engaging the starter.

Kind of weird when I drive an older vehicle as I forget to "hold" the key in the start position until the motor actually starts.

It rarely gets cold enough down here to be considered a "cold start" - I only get "cold weather" experience on vacation.

#11 ·
So no more "Wait to Start?" I see the little squiggle glow plug line, but I just turn the key and release. What you are saying is that it is all automatic? If the truck needs to pause to heat them it will take care of it? I know on the new BMW diesels, this is how it works. Starting to get cold out here!

#12 ·
Here's what the diesel supplement says about cold weather starting:
1. Turn the key to on without turning the key to start. Do not start the engine until the glow-plug pre-heat indicator turns off.
2. When the glow plug pre-heat indicator turns off, turn the key to start, then release the key as soon as the engine starts. The glow plugs may remain on for a period of time after engine start. If the engine is not started before the glow plug activation time ends, the glow plugs will need to be reset by turning the key to off.
3. After the engine starts, allow it to idle for about 15 seconds. This is to protect the engine. Do not increase engine speed until the oil pressure gauge indicates normal pressure.
This clearly contradicts the thought that it is all automatic. However, how will the remote start work in cold weather if it doesn't compensate for the glow plug heat-up time? If it's automatic in remote start operation, wouldn't it be the same if you're sitting in the drivers seat?

#16 ·
I'm srue the remote start has the glow plugs programed into the start sequence. When I use the remote start it seems to take a few seconds before I hear the engine crank.

Where as the key can force the start. I caught myself a couple of times turing the key before the glow plug light goes out and the engine does crank immeditately.

I get used to starting a warm engine in warmer temps and the glow plugs are almost instantaneous. As the weather turns colder and I leave the truck parked at the airport or other outdoor parking areas where it will get a good cold soak, I'll have to pay more attention to waiting.

#17 ·
Thanks PH. To me, whether the key starts immediately or not is not much of a concern anyway. When it starts getting cold, I'm going to remote-start the engine as I walk up to the truck. Gives the truck an extra 30 seconds to circulate oil and warm up the seats.

#19 ·
Epic and I both woke up to 40* temp this morning. By January we usually see a week of 0* for lows and the high maybe hitting 20*

I think that warrants letting the truck warm up.

#20 ·
Epic and I both woke up to 40* temp this morning.
Just want to clarify, we live about 4 miles apart. In case anyone was wondering. :lol:

btw PH - just picked up 100 lbs of those great Idaho potatoes from Hendie's self-service trailer. Going to put some in the oven and grill a t-bone tonight. Awe yeah...

#22 ·
Heck we are still wearing short sleeve shirt and shorts in October with morning temps in the 40's. It's got to get a whole lot cooler than 40 before we consider it a cold start.

#23 ·
With my 6.4 it never hesitated to start with temps below zezo. I never waited for the glow plugs to heat up. But I may try using the block heater just to help prevent long term damage on my 2011 coming. Cold starting seems to take it's toll on parts from what I've read.

#25 ·
its all about being climatized i wear hooded sweatshirts in -35*c and its been amazingly warm here lately 38-39*F usually its 20-24*F by now over nights are still warm with 22-24*F

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.