Cold Weather Idle - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold Weather Idle

So this morning I go out to start the truck, in 15 degree weather.
The truck fires right up, but the idle goes straight to about 1200 RPMS and stayed there. This was my first cold weather start with the new truck.

Has any one else observed this, just wondering if it is normal or a problem.

Thanks
duckstlflg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mine does the exact same
Old 11-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mine does the same
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens, SCT Live Wire TS with PIP tunes, 4" Delete Pipe

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-Bullet Proofed 103K
-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's normal. But it really does not produce much heat. Watch 5 min idle at 700 rpm and 5 min idle at 1100 rpm and the temps don't change much.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Mine doesn't either,gonna use my block heater more this winter...
H&S Mini maxx
Warn GenII winch mount
Smitty Built 12K winch
2" Autospring leveling kit
35/12.50/20 Toyo M/T's
Real Rancho shocks w/dual steering stabilzers
6k HID Headlights/Fogs
Adj.High Idle mod

08' SD CC 6.4L 4x4 (Sold)
06' SD CC 6.0L 4x4 (traded)

12' CanAm 1000 XT in Camo
06' Cat 420D 4x4 Backhoe Loader/Cab&Air
http://community.webshots.com/user/hdsilverado
Rutcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstlflg View Post
So this morning I go out to start the truck, in 15 degree weather.
The truck fires right up, but the idle goes straight to about 1200 RPMS and stayed there. This was my first cold weather start with the new truck.

Has any one else observed this, just wondering if it is normal or a problem.

Thanks
It's normal if the temp is cold enough. I haven't had my Powerstroke in cold enough temps yet. My Duramax waited about 30 seconds or so before kicking in high idle. If it goes straight to high idle upon start I don't think that a great thing since oil hasn't even moved yet.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

It's normal. The truck knows it's cold and goes to high idle to assist with warm up.

I have a Ram 6.7 that you can move to high idle by pressing cruise control on then the set button. Moves idle to 1100 RPM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Cold start behavior

It's been colder than usual here in Rapid City lately and it's given me a chance to see what this motor does in the cold. Probably not as cold as some of you have seen but I found it interesting. Sitting all day at work, I started the truck in -5f temp with the oil temp also at -5f and it started right up no issue other than a slight diesel smell in the cab until I warmed up and started driving. The next day heading in to work it was -15f outside but the truck was plugged in and the oil temp at startup was +10f. Again started right up but this time I got the cold weather message "engine warming please wait 30 seconds".

Two questions: Does the PCM use OAT to determine starting strategy instead of ECT or EOT;where is this cut off -10f? I figured a plugged in engine wouldn't ask me to wait but a sub-zero oil temp start would. I couldn't find in the 6.7 bible.

Also, is the slight diesel odor in the cab normal on these 6.7s when it is really cold? Just cylinder wash? Looking for some similar experiences.

Either way. I plug her in to a timer when it's cold if I'm home and otherwise let it idle for 2-4 minutes to warm the engine at least a bit.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm probably old school, but it's always bugged me how the new vehicles, whether car/truck, gas/diesel, seemed to fly wide open when it's blue cold.
I'd much prefer a reasonable delay to allow the oil to start flowing before they rev up.
2001 Lariat, F250, 7.3, 6-speed, 3:73, Ford AIS, MBRP 4" turbo back, ATS ported housing, 205 t-stat, Infinity DX w/DP Tuner 80hp tow, coolant filter, EGT & Boost gauge.
aclasshog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclasshog View Post
I'm probably old school, but it's always bugged me how the new vehicles, whether car/truck, gas/diesel, seemed to fly wide open when it's blue cold.
I'd much prefer a reasonable delay to allow the oil to start flowing before they rev up.
I have to assume engineers have thought of that too. There will always be residual oil in passages and around the top end components, and these engines build oil pressure very quickly - the 6.0's won't even start without high pressure oil being present, not sure if the 6.7's have that as well.

Either way, it won't be metal on metal or anything like that.

Recovering former 6.0L owner (2005 Lariat).
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclasshog View Post

Depending on temp, the 6.7, 6.4 and the 6.0 will not allow any fuel pedal input until a certain temp or idle time is allowed for.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Good thing he never had an older Turbo RX-7. Those things redlined when started - all the way to around 11,000 rpm or so. (I forget exactly where the redline is, but it's motorcycle high) And of course you had to fill up with oil, before you filled up with gas in those too.

I gotta believe that the engineers thought of cold starting as well. I've only been in the teens in my truck a couple of times where the fast idle kicked in. Because of threads here, I don't idle it for long before we go as conventional wisdom now says that is a waste of fuel. Typically it idles for around a minute or so as we all get in and fasten our seatbelts.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

I live in Alberta and we have just had the coldest weather in along time. -34 AND WITH WIND CHILL -49. My diesel truck I noticed started up revving high 1500 and stayed that way for a long time. Now that I have read it here I see it is normal.
I am also wondering about the remote starter Ford has put on these trucks. I wonder if the glow plugs are being warmed up enough before it starts the truck (I have noticed there is not much of a delay after pushing the start button)in this cold or warm weather.
oohboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

That's normal on the glow plugs, they will heat to over 2,000* F in 2 seconds. In the temps we have around here you really have to pay attention when you turn the key on if you want to see the GP light.
gearhead1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
That's normal on the glow plugs, they will heat to over 2,000* F in 2 seconds. In the temps we have around here you really have to pay attention when you turn the key on if you want to see the GP light.

If I understand you correct, your saying even though it is -30c or colder, it is normal for remote to just start the truck. My friend has a dodge and he has to wait a good minute before the glow-plug light goes out. I don't want to damage my plugs.
oohboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.