DEF Freezing ........... Anyone ????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DEF Freezing ........... Anyone ?????

I have an 08 and am considering an 11. (No issues with the 08. Just considering new.)

Now that were in the Cold weather months, anyone having issues with this stuff freezing? I know Ford has a heater built in but my truck will sit in the barn for days at a time so the heater would not be operating. Could this be an issue ? Looking at the Chevy site seems a lot of people are having a problem with the cold temperatures and DEF systems not handling it well. If the Fords are not having this problem, why not ?
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Stan

I live in Michigan. I have had my truck since June. Absolutely no DER issues at all. The truck has been nearly perfect. I did have an electrical failure with the fan clutch 15000 miles ago. I can not speak to DEF issues with GM products. I do know their tank is very exposed from the bottom and the filler opening for the DEF tank is under the hood. The Ford fills very easily from the fuel door. I let my truck sit outside from Saturday to Tuesday. The block heater was NOT plugged in. It was 8 degrees outside. I stood on my porch and used the remote start. The truck started like it was 60 degrees outside. Regarding the DEF freezing, the freezing temp is 12 degrees F. When it reaches that temp and below, the DEF does not freeze solid. It just gets kinda slushy. The Ford truck has DEF heating provided for the tank and the lines. The computer controlled DEF system is programmed to not ever call for a DEF injection event when the engine is cold. This makes perfect sense seeing that even in the summertime, DEF events occur at high loads and elevated EGT's. There have been posts from Northern Canada and temps down to -35 degrees. All has worked well up there as well.There have been virtually no owners complaining about the DEF systems in their new trucks. The increased performance and fuel mileage offsets the minimal cost of the product. I have averaged 1200 miles to a gallon of DEF. Hope this helped

Regards
ricatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

No problem here it has been in the 20s wind chill in single digits. Use the block heater a few nights truck has been great sense the new flash update.
ewsalis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm in the Canadian north, and no problems so far. I have a gallon sitting outside, and it turned to slush about 0F. It was down to -30F the other night, but I have forgotten to check what it turned to. I'm interested in how much expansion will happen.

But no issue with the truck yet.....starts great. I started plugging it in at 0F.

I'll post back tomorrow

--
gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
My main issue would be making sure I had some non-slushy or frozen DEF to fill the tank when the warning came on. I guess when the warning came on you could bring some inside the house... Thankfully, I don't worry about those things down here.

I forgot, what is the boiling point of DEF?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like the GM trucks have some design issues. Maybe both cosmetic and tech.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dak

Not that I disagree with you about GM, but GM has one thing that I wish my Ford had. A 9th injector for the DPF regen process...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

According to Ford engineering, they did consider the 9th injector route for the DPF regeneration. In their testing, they found no advantage to using this technology over the current cylinder dousing method. Oil analysis showed no harm being done with fuel dilution percentages well below the acceptable level of 7%. They decided adding the ninth injector method was more costly and added yet another complete system to the already busy engine.

Regards
ricatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

We've been getting down to -4 F here and I have no problems or messages given. Also most of the mid section has been having very cold temps. I would of thought someone would have posted about freezing so don't worry.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dak

ricatic - I guess in a few years we will see which was the better route to go. I do agree that it is more expensive to have a 9th injector, I just like the idea of NO fuel getting into the oil.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Well, as I stated already, it's been going down to -30F a few nights. I have a jug sitting outside to see what happens to it. It starts getting slushy about 0F and froze solid after that. The jug only expanded a bit on the bottom.....so it doesn't expand enough to worry about the tank.

My truck has been running great, not warning lights.

I'm curious if the tank freezes solid...the system may never think it's empty....

I only drive about a mile to work...I doubt if there is any thawing going on with whatever kind of heater is suppose to be in the tank.

I have noticed (maybe my imagination), that the exhaust smell is alot stronger since the cold weather set in. It's still not the strong diesel smell of my old 6.0, different but stronger.

--
Gordon
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)

Last edited by fixdent; 12-18-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Been -15 here in AK and when I have my truck at work over night there is no place to plug it in. Still starts up with my autostart and I don't get any warnings or anything. Have had 0 problems so far with about 1800 miles.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

I had an oil change done at 7500kms, and the DEF was suppose to be filled up (as per my free service agreement).

It seems to be using about 2 gallons every 2500kms. So at 9500kms the weather was pretty warm...about 20f, so I put a gallon in just for the heck of it.

I've put about 1200kms on it since then, and the weather has been nice again....about 15F, so I thought I would top it off.

It would only take about 1 quart.

It seems in the -25F weather it is not using any....probably frozen in the tank.

No warning lights at all.

--
Gordon
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

I work a lot in Northern Alberta - I'm about to purchase either a 2011 or 2012 F250 this week. I'm leaning towards the 2012 even though the incentives are better on the 2011 because i'm thinking that if there were any issues with the 2011 - perhaps it was worked out in the 2012's.
Frozen DEF is a major concern. I drive a 2007 Western Star, and have procrastinated about upgrading my rig to a new one.
However, there is a company who has Petes, and have had a disastorus year with DEF and overheating.
I know some people just leave their trucks running for the three weeks they are up there.
This year has been pretty mild, but the two previous years have hit minus 50 and colder with the windchill.

Im a bit nervous taking this step to a truck that has urea in this type of climate.
But I wont go back to GM.
Good to see your opinion!
SaraGrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

no problems with mine in PA... had to refill @ 2000 miles with 2.5 gallons
TD7667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.