DEF warning - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I guess keeping it low all winter isn't a problem..heck if I'm going to do a 800 mile trip I'll be adding some before. As long as the gauge works half way decent no problems with me keeping it low. I would think this might help heating up the tank faster and getting the DEF flowing.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

The trucks computer will not ask for a DEF injection event until it has reached certain temperature and operating parameters. The built in tank heater will have thawed the DEF by then. There is also a purging pump for the lines from the tank to the injector. You can hear it drawing the DEF back when you shut down the truck. If you watch the TV show Ice road Truckers, they had a few pre-production vehicles loaned to them for the show. Last I heard it gets real cold in Alaska.

Regards
ricatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
Although I'm aware of how things freeze, overfilling does not make sense. There is only one way to "fill" it up.....and that's to "fill" it up. So overfilling cannot be important.

The freezing part bothers me....not the expanding and cracking....just the freezing itself.

It'll be -35f here soon enough. (sometimes just warms up to that in the daytime)
--
Gordon
If you don't use the pouring spout that comes with the Ford DEF you could very easily overfill the tank. Other brands may use the same spout but I would want to look at them pretty close to make sure they are the same. According to Ford, not overfilling in cold climates is very important.
Saskford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
If you don't use the pouring spout that comes with the Ford DEF you could very easily overfill the tank.
Unless I'm mistaken what PowerStrokeHD was talking about was overfilling and freezing....not overfilling and spilling.

As for using the ford spout....that is a must. I bought a case from Napa, and had no spouts...good thing I had one gallon from ford left..with a spout.

Quote:
According to Ford, not overfilling in cold climates is very important.
Can you tell me where you read or got this information..

You just fill till it stops....that is not overfilling.

--
Gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)

Last edited by fixdent; 10-22-2010 at 07:49 PM.
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Thought that sounded strange on the tank size hadn't heard of a 6.1 gallon tank. Glad they got as much into the tank as they could since it was the free fill up. I think I'll be ok for a while, It's still well above freezing here in Oklahoma and I'm sure I'll use a couple gallons before it freezes. Then I will put in a gallon at a time once I hit the half full mark on the tank.
2011 F350, 6.7, SRW, Long Bed, Bronze, Crew Cab, King Ranch, 20" wheels, FX4, Navigation, Dual Alternators, 3:55 E-Locker, Cattleman Bumper, Access bed cover
2004 F150 5.4, Crew Cab Short bed 4x4
2002 F350 7.3, DRW, Crew Cab, 4X4, 4" exhaust, cold air, bully dog, Traded in
2002 F350 7.3, SRW, 4X4 Off Road, Crew Cab, 4" exhaust, K&N cold air, Superchips. Sold
F700Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
Unless I'm mistaken what PowerStrokeHD was talking about was overfilling and freezing....not overfilling and spilling.

As for using the ford spout....that is a must. I bought a case from Napa, and had no spouts...good thing I had one gallon from ford left..with a spout.

Can you tell me where you read or got this information..

You just fill till it stops....that is not overfilling.

--
Gordon
Correct, I am talking about overfilling and freezing. As you said though, using the proper spout with the vent greatly reduces the risk of over filling. There will be people though who do not use the proper spout or will fill from a DEF pump who are at greater risk of overfilling. As far as where the information on overfilling and freezing comes from, well that would be Ford. One place it can be found is in the diesel supplement that should have came with your truck...

Filling the DEF tank in cold climates

DEF will freeze below 12F (-11C); however, your vehicle is equipped with an automatic preheating system which allows the DEF system to operate below 12F (-11C). When the vehicle is not in operation for an extended period of time with temperatures at or below 12F (-11C), the DEF tank could freeze. If the tank is OVERFILLED and freezes, it could be damaged, therefore DO NOT OVERFILL.

To prevent overfilling of the DEF tank when filling with a bottle, Ford recommends using Motorcraft DEF. Additionally, if the message center indicates EXHAUST FLUID UNDER 1/2 FULL , you should only add MAXIMUM of 2 gallons (6.7L) of DEF to the tank to prevent freeze damage due to overfilling. If the message center indicates EXHAUST FLUID LEVEL OK, do not add DEF.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
To prevent overfilling of the DEF tank when filling with a bottle, Ford recommends using Motorcraft DEF. Additionally, if the message center indicates EXHAUST FLUID UNDER 1/2 FULL , you should only add MAXIMUM of 2 gallons (6.7L) of DEF to the tank to prevent freeze damage due to overfilling. If the message center indicates EXHAUST FLUID LEVEL OK, do not add DEF.
I'm glad you pointed this out. I will check into that.

--
Gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #23 (permalink)

I only have about 1900 miles on my 2014 F450 and the light came on 500 miles until DEF empty (came on yesterday) I bought 5 gallons of DEF and filled it until it overflowed and the warning didn't go away. I drove a few miles, still counting down...so I thought maybe I didn't fill it enough... so I started with the second 2.5 gallon container...took about 8 oz before it over flowed again... still has the warning.... They really should have it so it turns off immediately when you fix the problem.
2009 CRF150r Expert
2007 CRF80f
2009 CRF70f
1985 250SX
AvgGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Drive it hard to get EGTs up and see if that helps. I had to do the same thing on a Duramax truck when it came in for service also.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Drive it hard to get EGTs up and see if that helps. I had to do the same thing on a Duramax truck when it came in for service also.
Will do and will post results.
2009 CRF150r Expert
2007 CRF80f
2009 CRF70f
1985 250SX
AvgGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

On any given night of heavy beer drinking I decided to start pulling over every 10/15 minutes (as needed by my bladder size) and refill the DEF tank. Seems to like it thus far Think of it as recycling yeast and hops. Good fun
X Ring Accuracy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.