The Diesel Stop banner

DEF Woes...

12K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Dak 
#1 ·
DEF is beginning to be a PITA for me at the moment. Not really the getting of it, more of the filling of it or should I say spilling of it.

I have 4700 miles on the loaner truck and I have had to fill the DEF twice now. The first time, the loaning dealer gave me 3 gallons of DEF for free. :icon_wink: which was VERY nice. However, no filler spout like people here are talking about. :icon_rolleyes: Found a funnel at the house and proceeded to fill the tank up, it took 1.9 gallons to do so with the last .1 spilling out and on the driveway. It isn't overly caustic, but it does take the paint off the driveway and discolors your clothing... (This was at 1800 miles and right before my vacation drive)

Now, at 4700 miles need DEF again. Pilots, Loves, T/A's, and some Tpike service centers carry it (have to ask as it is always in the back and not on the shelf - ). Picked up a 2.5 Gal jug at a Pilot's for $13.99 + tax. Came with a filler tube - which I thought was nice as I am on the road... Attached the filler tube began to pour and it leaked DEF all over the truck, me, and driveway (argh!). DEF itches your skin, thankfully I was near a water hose when it happened. Also, DEF seems to splash out before it is "full". I thought I overfilled the DEF tank, however, it slowly seaped into the tank and allowed the remainder (about a quart) of the 2.5 gallon jug in, I bet I could pour a bunch more in again - going slow of course.

Fair warning, if you can't find a diesel station with DEF at the pump, wait till you get home, have your vehicle maintenance clothes on, and pour carefully.

Just my 2 cents - and I now know what to expect. Can't wait to find a spout that doesn't leak.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a 2011 6.7L diesel loaner truck? If you only put 1.9 gallons in a 6 gallon tank it wasn't really ready for DEF. Surely with a 500 mile warning light you could get next to a hose with older cloths on if that's what you think you need. How about buying 1 Motorcraft DEF jug that comes with a leak proof flex spout and save your funnel to refill that jug?

#3 ·
Most truck stops have a designated pump for it. Just pull up turn on the pump and fill it up. It's usually three something a gallon.

#4 ·
I haven't found a DEF pump yet. I was looking and asking at each stop to see if they had one. None of the stations I stopped at had one although at least the clerks knew what I was talking about.

I am also looking for a 1 gallon with the "flexible spout". And normally, yes within 500 miles I would be more than able to get back home and do this. However, I am on a long drive far away from home. I "topped" off with 1.9 gal before I left on a 5,000 mile+ road trip so that I hopefully wouldn't worry about this until I got back home. I see DEF consumption right about 1 gal. per 1k miles.

Also, I have been in some pretty rural areas of the country, to the point that diesel fuel was a little tricky to find. The NAV's nearest POI option is great, not only will it tell me if the station has diesel, it tells me the price. Unless forced, I kept my fillups to truck stops - regardless. At least I know that the first exit only has Bob's Gas and Fireworks, while the next one a couple of miles up the road is a T/A, Pilot, Flying J, or Love's...

I was telling the story, mainly to help someone doing this for the first time. I can and have figured out how to make it better, easier, and cleaner.

Just like I appreciate the stories of the Oil Change messes on this truck. I now know how to do that without making a royal mess.:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Picked up a 2.5 Gal jug at a Pilot's for $13.99 + tax. Came with a filler tube - which I thought was nice as I am on the road... Attached the filler tube began to pour and it leaked DEF all over the truck, me, and driveway (argh!). DEF itches your skin, thankfully I was near a water hose when it happened.

Similar experience with same 2.5 Gal jug from Pilot. It was my fault for not adequately tightening the included spout (was afraid I'd strip the thin plastic threads). Once I snugged it up - no leak. I splashed some on some old jeans, no damage as far as I can tell.

#6 ·
The ones from Ford have a nice "no spill", "no overfill" spout. You just keep filling till it stops and the rest goes back into the container.:thup:

I bought some from Napa....no spout.:icon_mad:

--
Gordon

#8 ·
im puzzled at the fact that it needed to be filled twice in 4700 miles? A tank of def was supposed to last approx the life of an oil change,i know there will be all kinds of variances,but twice in 4700 miles seems excessive!
Possibly he got got the half full dash reading and decided to fill as it would take nearly 2 1/2 gals.

That does not mean one has to fill soon though. The next warning in my truck says about 700 miles left. Now the truck is getting serious ;)

Consumption of DEF when towing hard for me has been a little better than 2% of diesel gallons consumed. That also agrees with default values used by Fleetguard Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Usage Calculator

Napa I think was selling 2.5 gals Fleetguard DEF last time I was in the store and there was a bag next to it with a filler hose (maybe extra?). I keep my empty Ford Jugs with their filler hose.

Be interesting to see what other guys consumption of DEF versus gallons of diesel burned come out to and were they working the truck.

#10 ·
DEF Pumps

One thing I did find about the DEF pumps is they need a magnet ring around the pump nozzle to make them work properly. As I understand there is a magnetic release which let the DEF flow. The fill neck on the DEF tank does not have this magnet in it so there is a collar that fits over the fill nozzle and let only about 1" of the nozzle fit into the spout but it is the magnetic release.

Mark

#11 ·
I'm back from the sticks so I have internet again!

I topped off before I left on a 5,000 mile trip because I didn't know how much DEF was in the initial factory fill. Then after around 2700 miles into the trip I got the 1/2 full DEF Tank message. So, I decided at my next overnight stop to "top off" the tank so I wouldn't have to worry about it again. So at 2800 miles I used 2.5 gal of DEF...

From what I have figured out, I used about 1 gallon per 1,000-1200 miles of driving. This was hauling 2k lbs. including passengers. TOWING may be entirely different.

I am also "'retentive" when it comes to fuel levels as I start looking to fill up when just below 1/2 tank and won't let it get below 1/4 tank. Sometime when driving long distances on interstates I will let it get a little lower than normal, especially if I have driven the route before and know that there are plenty of fuel stations.

I can't see making it to a 7k+ oil change on a single tank of DEF, but that is just me. Ohh and BTW, at times I got 20+ mpg and have the pictures of the dash. Overall MPG was 16.9 both per the computer. When I hand calculated it, it was within about a 2% tolerance, so worst case is 16.5 mpg and 20mpg. (I actually got 20.5 on one tank, a steady 55 MPG in the Carolinas) I will never see 20 mpg in normal driving, more like 15.

#12 ·
I'm back from the sticks so I have internet again!

I topped off before I left on a 5,000 mile trip because I didn't know how much DEF was in the initial factory fill. Then after around 2700 miles into the trip I got the 1/2 full DEF Tank message. So, I decided at my next overnight stop to "top off" the tank so I wouldn't have to worry about it again. So at 2800 miles I used 2.5 gal of DEF...

From what I have figured out, I used about 1 gallon per 1,000-1200 miles of driving. This was hauling 2k lbs. including passengers. TOWING may be entirely different.

I am also "'retentive" when it comes to fuel levels as I start looking to fill up when just below 1/2 tank and won't let it get below 1/4 tank. Sometime when driving long distances on interstates I will let it get a little lower than normal, especially if I have driven the route before and know that there are plenty of fuel stations.

I can't see making it to a 7k+ oil change on a single tank of DEF, but that is just me. Ohh and BTW, at times I got 20+ mpg and have the pictures of the dash. Overall MPG was 16.9 both per the computer. When I hand calculated it, it was within about a 2% tolerance, so worst case is 16.5 mpg and 20mpg. (I actually got 20.5 on one tank, a steady 55 MPG in the Carolinas) I will never see 20 mpg in normal driving, more like 15.

Thanks. Good info on DEF used with load.

If you got an average of 16.5 mpg, for that 2800 miles, your DEF consumption is about 1.5% of diesel burned. I got closer to 2% DEF consumption for diesel burned towing 9000 lbs, so your data with a bit lighter duty sure seems right.

I'm leaving empty for 4000 mile trip in two days, will post what I use in DEF empty down the Alaska Highway. I'm thinking a 1% figure would be about right.

#15 ·
has anyone had trouble with the DEF gauge not resetting after adding DEF?
My warning came on for less than 300 miles. I added 1 gal and drove around with more that 5 stops and restarts. The gauge just kept counting down. I added another gal, but it still would not go off. After the third gal the warning went out, and it said more that 1/2 full.

The book says that after the low DEF light comes on, the tank should be filled. A few weeks ago I got the 800 mile warning and let it go down to 250 just to see what it would do. That time it reset with just 1 gal. (was still a warning for less than 800 miles, but did change)

I have been keeping it low on purpose, so I can get the most out of that free DEF fill up coupon from Ford, just waiting for trip in and get a fill up and reflash at the same time.

#16 ·
I have been keeping it low on purpose, so I can get the most out of that free DEF fill up coupon from Ford
Where did you get this coupon..??

--
Gordon

#24 ·
#17 ·
I received a coupon from Ford for $50 off of regular maintenance and a free
DEF fill up. It came about 2 weeks after my truck arrived. That was in April. I don't know if they are still sending them out.

#18 ·
FWIW, mine reset each time I filled up. I think you have to get the fluid past one of the strategically placed sensors for a reset. I don't know why Ford didn't put a float in it so you would know exactly how much was left in the tank...

#19 ·
Maybe the fluid is corrosive enough that a float mechanism would not work too well so they used the sensor(s) outside the tank? This whole DEF thing seems like a pain to dal with the way it sounds.

#21 ·
I thought about that, but the tank and jug it comes in has to be made out of something it won't eat through (plastic) - the float could be made out of the same material. Having spilled some on my skin, it did itch, but it didn't burn or take skin off like even ordinary household bleach would. (It did discolor a nice shirt though)

I bet Biodiesel is more corrosive than DEF.

Even if you theory is correct, why not put 4-5 sensors on the tank for empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, full.

Idaspud - My dream is to one day drive from South Florida to Alaska and back....

#22 ·
There are 4 sensors in there, I'm guessing that they did not use a float because of freezing. The tank is design to allow the DEF to freeze and a mechanical float could be damaged by ice. That is my theory, better known as a WAG.

#25 ·
Free Oil Change

I'm not sure how it happened, but I received a booklet from Ford that gave a free first oil change ( worth maybe $100.00 ) plus the $50.00 off any service work and mention of the free DEF fill for new trucks under 10,000 miles. I'm wondering/guessing I may have received this extra mailing when the dealer signed me up for something to do with their service ctr.? It didn't cost anything, he just said I could " select " them as my primary ctr?

#26 ·
DEF is beginning to be a PITA for me at the moment. Not really the getting of it, more of the filling of it or should I say spilling of it.

I have 4700 miles on the loaner truck and I have had to fill the DEF twice now. The first time, the loaning dealer gave me 3 gallons of DEF for free. :icon_wink: which was VERY nice. However, no filler spout like people here are talking about. :icon_rolleyes: Found a funnel at the house and proceeded to fill the tank up, it took 1.9 gallons to do so with the last .1 spilling out and on the driveway. It isn't overly caustic, but it does take the paint off the driveway and discolors your clothing... (This was at 1800 miles and right before my vacation drive)

Now, at 4700 miles need DEF again. Pilots, Loves, T/A's, and some Tpike service centers carry it (have to ask as it is always in the back and not on the shelf - ). Picked up a 2.5 Gal jug at a Pilot's for $13.99 + tax. Came with a filler tube - which I thought was nice as I am on the road... Attached the filler tube began to pour and it leaked DEF all over the truck, me, and driveway (argh!). DEF itches your skin, thankfully I was near a water hose when it happened. Also, DEF seems to splash out before it is "full". I thought I overfilled the DEF tank, however, it slowly seaped into the tank and allowed the remainder (about a quart) of the 2.5 gallon jug in, I bet I could pour a bunch more in again - going slow of course.

Fair warning, if you can't find a diesel station with DEF at the pump, wait till you get home, have your vehicle maintenance clothes on, and pour carefully.

Just my 2 cents - and I now know what to expect. Can't wait to find a spout that doesn't leak.
I paid 24.99 for a 2.5 gal jug of DEF from the Ford dealer's parts dept. The supplied spout seemed to work ok when I filled my DEF tank. I have since purchased two 2.5 gal jugs from Pilot for about $14.50 ea. I guess when its time to feed the DEF tank I will pour the DEF into the Ford jug and use that spout

#27 ·
O'reilly's has DEF for $5 a gallon and $11.99 for 2.5 gallons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.