Dumb regen question - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dumb regen question

I've read from a lot of you that your truck regenerates at a certain mileage. How do you know that? I've only got ~400 miles on mine and I've never noticed a regen. How will I know when it happens?
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
clev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
A message will pop up on your information center, says something like "cleaning diesel exhaust filter". My first regen happened right at 250 miles, and the second was right at 500. The message doesn't stay on that long so you could have missed it.

What I don't know is how long it takes, both times mine went into regen I was stopping within 5 miles, once for fuel the other time we were reaching our destination. My instant mileage also dropped about 2 mpg during regen.
GBSoren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Regens very based on how you drive it. Sometimes I get several hundred miles between them and sometimes only 100 or so. The message comes up quick - I can tell based on the instant fuel mileage, it drops a few mileage points as previously pointed out. I never timed it, but if it runs long enough to get the soot % down a certain point it won't regen again until the DPF plugs up again.

I don't have one, but the Edge monitor will let you know when you are regen and will tell you your average mileage between them...

No stupid questions here... That is what this forum is for.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
it depend your ranger how you drive it we want to change the engine oil after hundred miles or before go to long drive.

Uhhhhhh, what?????? What is a ranger? Before go to long drive???? What?????

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah, I cant make heads or tails out of any of his posts either.

Apparently Sprint Customer Service only allows him to post during his break.
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
it depend your ranger how you drive it we want to change the engine oil after hundred miles or before go to long drive.
Anyone here familiar with the phrase "all your base are belong to us"?
gearhead1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Must be the weed he smoked during his break
collieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well Solomon was a wise man but now I'm thinking someone got hijacked and now a bot is running.
Nickelplated5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=clev;2225138]I've read from a lot of you that your truck regenerates at a certain mileage. How do you know that? I've only got ~400 miles on mine and I've never noticed a regen. How will I know when it happens?[/QUO

Brand new F350 and montior indicated regen at 250 miles, nothing at 500. I was on the freeway and notice was on briefly during cycle. Looked for it to regen at 500 miles didn't happen.

SOLD and missed very much!
1997 F350 XLT Lariat 7.3 Reg Cab 4X4 Off Road Package
5 spd Manual with South Bend Clutch Upgrade
AFE Stage 2
Diamond Eye 3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust Cat Delete
TS 6 Pos Chip / Autometer Pyro & Boost
WARN Winch
Original Owner 178,000 Miles
Old 09-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
The "cleaning exhaust filter" message flashes very quickly and there is no noticeable drop in HP or change in the engine's sound as with the 6.4. So if you miss the message you may not know the Regen is running. I've got about 700 miles on my new truck and it just completed its third Regen cycle while driving home from work today. The first happened at around 250 miles and second occurred in the 500's. The cycle lasted for approximately 15 minutes, I traveled about 10 or 12 miles and my instant MPG dropped to 10 or 11. Since my new truck's info center does not allow me to check Regen status, I'm assuming the end of Regen cycle occurs when my instant MPG gauge rises back above 15mpg.

2009 Corvette Z06, Atomic Orange, 505 HP LS7 7.0 Liter small block V-8

2000 F-350 Lariat, Crew Cab, 4X4, 7.3 Turbo Diesel, Autumn Red, 4:10 Rear End, SRW

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 2.5 Liter
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

getting the edge insight makes knowing what the truck is doing so much nice and easier. i cannot recommend having one enough. spend the $$ and know what is going on.

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
getting the edge insight makes knowing what the truck is doing so much nice and easier. i cannot recommend having one enough. spend the $$ and know what is going on.
First, thanks for the all the help about the regen process.

I've been looking at Edge, Bully Dog, and H&S. I've just about ruled out the BD, because of another member that posted problems with his last 2 trucks. H&S is really HIGH DOLLAR, so that makes Edge a strong possibility.
2012 F-350 SD Crew Cab, SRW, LWB, 4 X 4, FX4 Offroad, Bilsteins, AirLift Air Bags, BedLocker electric bed cover, White Platinum w/Adobe, Navigation, Moon Roof, 5th Wheel Prep, Step Tail Gate, King Ranch Package

'99 E-350 HiTop Companion Van Conversion, 7.3 SD Diesel, 5-tune DP Tuner, Triple AutoMeter C2 A-pillar gauge pod, twin K&N's, 203* mod, Deraler tubed trannie pan, B&M trannie cooler, AirLift air bags, Bilsteins, 4" DiamondEye turbo back exhaust, US Gear Underdrive Auxillary Transmission
clev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
getting the edge insight makes knowing what the truck is doing so much nice and easier.
A ScanGaugeII is a nice inexpensive add-on OBD-II plug-in as long as you figure out the XGAUGE settings for whichever engine you're going to use it. I had one in my old 99 Exploder gasser that I moved over to my 6.4L once I found the right XGAUGE settings. Will eventually replace it with something nicer -or more likely a tuner - but for the past couple years it's been of immense help in my 6.4L, especially in figuring out regen cycles etc.

I bought this one in 2008:
ScanGauge II ScanGauge II

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

There's a super idea: let's all get a new display that gives us the ugly details on each and every regen, especially how much fuel is used/wasted, and especailly how much time/miles between regens! Better yet, I recommend a recall wherein they reverse this recall - maybe a class-action to get it removed because it degrades the vehicle instead of improving it?
txpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpete View Post
There's a super idea: let's all get a new display that gives us the ugly details on each and every regen, especially how much fuel is used/wasted, and especailly how much time/miles between regens! Better yet, I recommend a recall wherein they reverse this recall - maybe a class-action to get it removed because it degrades the vehicle instead of improving it?
How bout a recall that removes the processing plant that attaches to the back side of the turbo and ends up behind the rear passenger tire?

- Bubba
KAKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.