Dumb regen question - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the oil changed by ford (first one free) at around 2000 miles and put a dpf filter back exhaust ( I know it does nothing) but since then I have not noticed the first regen. Maybe I am just missing then but use to see them and this is with no towing
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar, Pro Comp 2 Inch Nitro Leveling Kit, Fuel 22" Maverick Wheels , Nitto 325/50R22 Terra Grappler, Westin Bull Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
I had the oil changed by ford (first one free) at around 2000 miles and put a dpf filter back exhaust ( I know it does nothing) but since then I have not noticed the first regen. Maybe I am just missing then but use to see them and this is with no towing
Was there any change in the tone of the exhaust? I have been debating on doing this, maybe the DPF back duals. I know it's not going to be dramatic, but I would like to be able to justify it with some sort of tone change.

- Bubba
KAKnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Not much if any I did the duals just hated the way the stock tips looked
2012 F250 Lariat 6.7 Golden Bronze 4X4, MBRP Filter Back Duals, Alpine INE-Z928HD, Focal Amp and Speakers and a ton of Dyno Mat, RetraxPro, Clifford Alarm Recon smoked marker/clearance lights, HID Headlights, Rigid D2 Driving Lights (in fog location), Bilstein 5160 shocks,Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar, Pro Comp 2 Inch Nitro Leveling Kit, Fuel 22" Maverick Wheels , Nitto 325/50R22 Terra Grappler, Westin Bull Bar

Protected by H&KUSP and friends

2006 Hummer H2 (traded for diesel hope never to go back to the dark side (gas)
2005 F250SD SB 4X4 6.0 Harley Edition (traded)
2003 7.3 F350 DRW 4X4 (traded)
2001 7.3 F250 4X4 (traded)
Steve Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Before I bought the Insight I would have told you mine only went into regen about once a tank of fuel; I would have been wrong, it is easy to miss the short blip of a message if your eyes are on the road when it pops up. Unlike the 6.4 it is harder to detect by trucks performance; and on the 6.4 you could go to the info screen and confirm if in regen.

Mine is going into regen just North of 100 miles; city or HW driving, slightly longer if HW. 125 miles between regens is typical. Duration at HW speeds is typically less than 10 minutes; if it starts before I get on HW most end before 14 minutes.

Longest I went w/o 'active' regen was pulling RV. It was just about ready for regen prior to hitting road; it 'passively' regened down to .9? soot level during just less than 200 miles travel. Active regen usually cuts off when it is about 1.2 - 1.3 soot but it will continue to drop to as low as 1.12 if running down the HW.

I have a log (with wife's help) of mileage between regens; I will post it sometime in the future.

Bob
bnmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
ScanGauge II

Hey, Deliberate!
That ScanGauge II looks pretty good. Let me ask a few questions. Is it strictly informational or is it also a tuner? (I would have warranty worries.) Does it just plug into the diagnostic port under the dash? Where & how did you mount yours?
Thanks in advance for the info.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.

Last edited by wpetko; 09-16-2012 at 02:05 PM.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

I was having the same problem detecting regens on my 6.4; I got the ScanGauge II in order to clearly detect them. That's when I learned that regens were happening only every 600 miles or so, due to defective DPF.

I set the scangauge to watch EGT and DPF temperatures. When DFT goes up above 1000 degrees, it's a clear indication regen is happening.

Its not a tuner, so no effect on warranty. that's one of the reasons I chose scangauge over the Edge CTS. It plugs directly into the diagnostic port.

I velcro'ed mine to the top of the dash, just above the A/C vent. Easy to spot in instrument scan.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

The Edge Insight CTS is only a monitor. It is NOT a tuner, and has no effect on your warranty.
It plugs directly into the OBDII port under your steering wheel.
It will display which ever PIDS the owner selects. But pretty much anything the trucks computer is tracking can be displayed.

You set alerts that when certain parrameters are met it will flash and warn you. Such as high egts, Soot %, Voltage, coolant temps etc. They are basically competitng products, But the Edge Insight CTS has more features and the ability to add to it. ie adding a back up camera.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png

Last edited by Painted Horse; 09-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
Is it strictly informational or is it also a tuner? (I would have warranty worries.) Does it just plug into the diagnostic port under the dash? Where & how did you mount yours?
ScanGaugeII is an inexpensive *digital* (numbers only) display-only that plugs into your OBD-II port. You'll need to understand custom XGAUGE setup for your specific engine as each engine setup is different as seen on the OBDII port. In general you can only plug in one device into your OBDII port (under dash, below the steering wheel). I have my cable run up to the top of my steering wheel in front of the dash, which works well for me. Nice thing about the ScanGaugeII is that you can later on get a more expensive, fancier, display or tuner and then move the ScanGauge over to another vehicle. In the meantime, it can alert you (by temps) to regens and monitor on-going DPF temps - which is a very good thing IMO. Personally I have NO warranty worries using an OBDII *montor* and have had no problems with Ford diesel techs on having it attached, other than they have to disconnect it to connect their laptops for diagnostics.

I agree with Painted Horse, the Edge CTS display is more expensive and nicer with more features and easier to use. I already had a SGII so that's what I'm using. Have logged regens for the past 20k+ miles as based on my SGII displayed temps.

edited to add: I initially worked with Linear Logic to define the XGAUGE settings for the 6.4L "EGT" (EGT2) AND "DPT" (my acronym) but was very disappopinted that they never developed the 6.4L PID for EGT1, the true EGT temps before the turbo - it's on the OBDII but LL just never put in the time/trouble to figure out what the XGAUGE for it shoud be - sigh!

HTH,
- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.

Last edited by deliberate; 09-16-2012 at 09:26 PM.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

From Another forum, but helpful:

Painted Horse, Ford ought to pay you for this write-up. A copy of it should be on the dash of every new truck, and in a frame inside the service desk area.

Priceless and to the point. Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Dualsport, You are displaying your obvious misunderstanding of what and how a regen takes place. You have had regens. You just have not noticed them.

1st off there is no Notice of a passive regen. No light or message on the dash. The only way you know that a passive regen is taking place is if you see your EGTs go over 572. If you do not have a monitor to display your exhaust temps and Soot %. You have no idea when you exceed that number. And will never know when a passive regen is taking place.

Even if your truck is doing lots of passive regens. It will still do an active regen at some programed interval. I recently towed my GN horse trailer from Salt Lake to St George. Towing that trailer at 75 mph on the interstate keeps my EGTs up around 700-850. So I am in a constant passive regen. I watched my soot % drop from 1.94 when I left home to a pretty stable .98-1.04 after a few hours of driving. On my return trip ( probably 600-650 miles since leaving home) my truck went into an active regen. My soot % was .98 ( normal trigger point for a active regen 2.74%) And a normal active regen will shut off when it lowers to 1.15% or that range. So my soot % was BELOW the normal shut off point and it still triggered a active regen. The active regen reduced my soot% down to .80 which is way below the normal readings for soot %.

It's experiences like this that tell me the truck will do a ACTIVE REGEN at some preset interval regardless of the soot% reading. So regardless of how clean you are running or how much passive regeneration is going on, You will still see an active regen about every 600-800 miles.

Now just for comparision, Running empty at 70 mph on fairly level roads, your EGTS will be about 475. So 15-20 miles empty freeway driving will not produce any Passive regen, and you will see Active regens being triggered when ever your Soot% hits the 2.75% number. Which seems to be every 100-200 miles for most drivers. Of course your fuel, additives, oil will all have some effect of how much soot is created and ultimately collected in the DPF.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #25 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
with the edge insite you can monitor up to 9 readings at a time.
to bad there is not a pre turbo sensor
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #26 (permalink)

If you are not tunning the truck, The pre-turbo sensor really doesn't matter, Ford has the PCM programmed to defuel if a certain temp is reached and you will not exceed what the engineers consider a safe egt.

Needing a Pre turbo pyro is more for the folks with the tunes and they can easily put the pyro in the EGT delete plate and run the feed into the aux port on the back of the Edge CTS.

My hottest egt temps are usually during regen when extra fuel is being pumped into the exhaust to heat up the DPF. I've never seen EGT temps get as high during normal towing as during a regen.

I monitor 5 readings with my Edge.

Coolant temp
Soot %
EGT1
EGT4
Voltage

Old 12-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

PH, I also monitor the same readings as you with my Edge CS, except EGT4. Not to stray off topic, but what is the value in monitoring EGT4, as it relates to regens, or otherwise? Not trying to be contrary, just trying to learn/understand.

Thanks!
Tow 38' TT w/Equal-i-zer #14000 w/d hitch
SOLD - 2006 F250 CC LARIAT, FX4, 43800 miles
Fumoto Valve
HFCM Brass Drain Plug
Fuel Pressure Spring (blue) Upgrade
DieselSite Coolant Filter Kit
Fleetrite ELC
Edge Insight CS
ohman_stm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

EGT4 is your rear most sensor. It is usually the coolest sensor except during a regen, Then it typically is the hottest sensor. For me it lets me know when the regen is over, when it temps finally cool off. Not that knowing when the regen is over is all that important to know. It usually stays very hot for several minutes after the R turns off, signalling the end of an active regen.

I guess I might not park in tall grass while that reading was 1200

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #29 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
egt 2 is the one to see the regent temps (1100-1200)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #30 (permalink)

The DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst) "is a ceramic catalytic converter which oxidizes hydrocarbons on the exhaust and generates heat for the SCR and DPF."

So any of the sensor after the DOC will see the heat. I guess I'm just watch #4 to see how hot it still is in the DPF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.