EGR Cooler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Cooler

I was wondering if anyone else here had had or heard of cooler issues on the 6.7? Check engine light came on, truck to dealer, and tech says EGR cooler is plugged. They have new cooler ordered. They also said they did send info to Ford Eng because its the first one at that dealer they have seen with this problem. The build date is 4/10 and I bought it in May 2010, the truck has 40516 miles on it. Hopefully it is just a fluke, because stuff can break. Will shall see.
Woodsrydr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

i got my 2011 used with 21000 miles the oasis report said mine was replaced also,so far the new one is doing fine , mine was also an early build hopefully it was just a bad batch of EGR coolers
6.7 FORD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have only replaced 2 sense these trucks came out. both trucks were cab and chassis models. both were boom trucks. which means they idle for long periods of time to run the pto to run the boom. both were pluged solid with soot. the pick up truck egr housing is aluminum. the cab and chassis model is cast iron. i realy dought that has anything to do with failure but i really think its just a fluke. i do not think these are going to have egr problems like the 6.0.
FordDieselTech101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

My service engine light came on yesterday. Went to dealer this morning. Code was for EGR valve and Ford Engineering told them to replace the valve and check the cooler. Truck has 5400+ miles on it so far. Hope this is not the start of something else. Sure would not to have to trade in an almost new truck for a DMax.

Update 2/8/13: Dealer was told by ford to replace the cooler and send it to them. Cooler was replaced and I will be picking up the truck this morning. I will be asking if there is something that I did or can do to not have whatever happened to take place in the future. Will add more when I return from the dealer.
2010 Dutchman Voltage V3200 Toy Hauler 5th wheel
1994 Honda GL1500
2000 Yamaha Venture

Last edited by lightfootrw47; 02-08-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Update to original posting.
lightfootrw47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Given that these would have a new cooler design and don't use silicate-based coolant in general like the 6.0's, I wouldn't expect to see the failures happen anywhere near as much. Faulty parts do occur from time to time, but the different coolant alone is probably enough to avoid epidemic failures like before.
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've seen a couple of plugged coolers on the powerstroke sites.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ram610 View Post
I've seen a couple of plugged coolers on the powerstroke sites.
Did they say what caused it?

A couple is still better than every third truck a la 2004-2007, but I'm curious now. Since the coolant (largely considered the cause of the 6.0 cooler sludge) is different now, what would trigger a 6.7L cooler plugging up? Was there some other contaminant present?
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know...check out powerstroke.org. They didn't give any reason, just stated ford covered it Under warranty. It seems like it has gotten worse since winter hit, could have something to do with extended idling.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I am curious if those experiencing EGR valve and/or EGR Cooler failure are also using a diesel fuel additive on a regular basis?

TNX

Bob
bnmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 9/10 build and have had cooler replaced. CEL came on and dealer said cooler bad, drive until part arrived. The CEL went off and then back on after a long trip. Replaced about 4 months ago and no problem since.
2011, F250, 4X4 Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, Silver/Grey,6.7ltr, 20"tires, Electronic locking axle, off-road package, rapid htr,nav sys, clearance lights, upfitter switches, bed liner, Lariat package. EXTRAS: M/T 35x12.5x20 tires, Leer 100XL cap, Titan 50 gal tank, Firestone ride rite air bags, Extreme air comp, Air ride wireless controller. Grover air horn.

Truck History:
2005 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
2003 F250 SD, CC, LB, diesel
1999 F250 SD, CC, SB, diesel
1997 F250 Light duty, extended cab, SB
1997 F150 extended cab, SB (Lemon)
1992 F250 long bed, diesel
1985 F250 long bed, diesel
1982 F250 long bed
1974 F100 long bed
1956 F100
OldFlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Just had mine done on 2/7. Check engine light came on went to the dealer they told me the cooler has to be ordered. I have 42k on the truck built date 4/2010 never added any type of additive to the fuel.
Before the check engine light came it felt like the truck was losing power.
Now with the new cooler installed seems to have more power.
The tech who did the replacement ask me if i do a lot of idling.This is the first real problem i had and hope no more in the future.
This is an awesome truck.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg2005 View Post
Just had mine done on 2/7. Check engine light came on went to the dealer they told me the cooler has to be ordered. I have 42k on the truck built date 4/2010 never added any type of additive to the fuel.
Before the check engine light came it felt like the truck was losing power.
Now with the new cooler installed seems to have more power.
The tech who did the replacement ask me if i do a lot of idling.This is the first real problem i had and hope no more in the future.
This is an awesome truck.
Did you idle a lot?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Didn't idle much.The tech told me to start to add additive to the fuel.
So not sure what to do at this point.
I had many Ford Diesels and never has to add any thing to the fuel.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

If I am going to be sitting in one spot idling for and period of time (waiting on the wife to come out of Wal-Mart for example) I turn on the SEIC. I don't know if it help, but it does seem to eliminate the dieseling on that first hard throttle pulling out into traffic after an extended idle. I also seem to have fewer regen cycles doing this.
2005 Bobcat T300
gtstang462002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

EGR Cooler/Check Engine Light

I had the same problem. Build date 05/10, miles 46000. Took to dealer, first they told me the EGE Cooler had to be replaced, but later said all that was needed was to update for the computer. When I asked what the update was the service consultant told me the computer was reflashed. That direction came from Ford to solve the problem, so he says. The problem with all this is on my paper work from the dealer shows "NO PROBLEM FOUND" in caps. I still don't know what the dealer has done to my truck nor do I really know what was done by Ford to make the check engine light go off. I will contact the service manager and update when I find more out. Also was told to replace my fuel filter, because during the multi point inspection "FOUND fuel filter to appear old" in the inspection report. Well at this dealer I just had both fuel filters replaced at 44,000 miles. Or did I. This all sounds bad. I live in Central Florida, are there any good dealers out their.
JFord 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.