The Diesel Stop banner

Engine Whine

11K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  joecole 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Got a 2011 F250 6.7. Getting a whine that goes up and down with the rpms. Sounded like a power steering pump to my mechanic so i changed it and it still whines. He then said maybe the turbo as did some mom and pop shop down the road. Never heard of a turbo whine before. I thought they usually just crapped out. I have no issues with spooling/boost. Sounds like it may be from the alternator but it's hard to pinpoint. Any suggestions are appreciated to find and fix the issue.

#2 ·
Take a long heavy screwdriver and put the blade end to the offending bearing/accessory. Climb up on the bumper and lean over enough to put the handle up to your ear. You should hear the whine as you rev the engine. A gentle swish or white-noise like shhhhhh is normal. With it being a 2011 turbo, unless you have 150k miles, I would lean more towards the turbo than the alternator or ps pump...

#3 ·
I have about 140k. I used a copper tube to listen. The alternator has a little noise and the turbo has like a whish sound. Basically I'm hoping it's anything but the turbo but i guess you gotta pay to play. I haven't read to many good things about the first generation 6.7 turbos.

#4 ·
Could be bearing in turbo going out. They used ceramic ball bearings and I guess they don't hold up as well. I would definitely get it checked because if it goes it could take the motor with it and cost a lot more than it should of. Also get some arch oil and run in your oil and fuel. It will lunricate the turbo better

#9 ·
9 posts, I doubt we will hear back from the OP.

#12 ·
Called my Ford dealership described what I heard and they thought it was (a hose vibrating) harmonic, they sent me the bulletin on it.

I'm beginning to think my problem is erg related, because before this issue my "regens" were one per tank give or take. But the last came 90 miles from the previous and that one 130 miles from the one before it... 250 miles and so on.

My thoughts on the erg don't resolve the issue I noticed that while driving as I reach 1700rpm or so it act's like I stepped down on the throttle, the pickup just takes off.

Is it possible I have stuck turbo vanes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.