Exhaust cleaning - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust cleaning

My truck give me a message when cleaning filter. How do you know when it is complete. How long does it take.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens, SCT Live Wire TS with PIP tunes, 4" Delete Pipe

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-Bullet Proofed 103K
-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

It typically takes about 10-15 minutes to do a complete active regen. But that really depends on the soot levels. It's not manditory to stay driving till it completes. When you restart the truck it will just run normal until it hits the soot% threshold again that triggers another regen.

Your truck starts and stops passive regens any time your egts exceed 572. So they are off and on again depending on how you drive and what work you are asking the truck to do.

If you have guage display like the EDGE CTS you can see when the active regen starts and ends. If you don't, about the only indication you get is your instant fuel mileage will jump up a little when the PCM stops sending extra fuel into the exhaust system.

If the system gets really dirty, it will post a message "Drive to Clean" This message is telling you NOT to shut down mid regen, because the system really needs to complete what it has started. In 76,000 miles I've seen this message once.

I really ignor my regen message, I don't pay much attention to it, I just let it do it's thing. If I'm pulling off the road into tall grass or some other fire hazard, I might look at my Edge CTS to see if I'm in an Active regen and wait a few minutes for it to cool off. Or if I do notice it start while I'm on the freeway, I may take the farther exit and give it a an extra mile or two of freeway driving to finish what it's doing. But for the most part I ignor it.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
If I'm pulling off the road into tall grass or some other fire hazard, I might look at my Edge CTS to see if I'm in an Active regen and wait a few minutes for it to cool off. Or if I do notice it start while I'm on the freeway, I may take the farther exit and give it a an extra mile or two of freeway driving to finish what it's doing. But for the most part I ignor it.
these are some of the great things about having the insight. it really is nice to see what the truck is doing, and to help it out when you can. well said, and it is what i do also.

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

No to hijack, could you guys post some pics of the insight installed? Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Edge mount, just suction cups to the windshield, I ran the wires up the door edge under the rubber seal. I have two wires, one that goes to the OBDII port under your steering column and a second wire that goes to the backup camera on my trailers.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Awesome. Thank you
Old 12-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am going to get a CTS very soon. I hate the active regan crap. It always seems to happen when I get home. It seems like this happens every 250 miles. May delete that junk when my warranty runs out

20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens, SCT Live Wire TS with PIP tunes, 4" Delete Pipe

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-Bullet Proofed 103K
-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ignore it. I think folks pay way too much attention to it. Just let it do it's thing when the computer thinks it needs to be done. It's not a crime to shut down while in regen.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
The Edge mount, just suction cups to the windshield, I ran the wires up the door edge under the rubber seal. I have two wires, one that goes to the OBDII port under your steering column and a second wire that goes to the backup camera on my trailers.
I installed my insight the end of last week, took maybe 10 minutes, including hiding the wires. I had the same display on my 2005 F-30, and got hooked on the additional data, now I don't want to be without it.

One thing I noticed, unless I'm just being thick again, but there seems to be no way to monitor the engine oil pressure.

By the way, Painted horse, I love the background you have on your screen...
2001 C-3500 Chevy, Duramax, DRW (Traded)
1999 F-350 XLT Lariat, DRW, 7.3 (Traded, and still miss it)
1995 F-350 XLT Lariat, 7.3, DRW (Traded)
1990 F-350 Centurion Conversion, 7.3, DRW (Traded)
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I ignore it too - I had the message flash when I pulled into my driveway last week. I shut the truck off and when I drove out the next day, it flashed again about a mile down the road and that was it...

If you start getting the drive to clean exhaust messages OFTEN, it might be time to pay attention. I saw that ONCE on a previous truck and that was because I was doing alot of stop/start and kept interupting the regen. It was also on the original job 1 programming.

I don't have an Edge, but I can see why that would be a nice piece of hardware to have.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hmm mines been yelling at me to "Drive to Clean" for several days now. Seems like it happens quite a bit. Problem is lately I'm mainly doing city driving and don't get it up to speed for very long and get to where I'm going before its done. Not sure what this will do to my exhaust system long term.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you are getting the "Drive to clean" You need to go for a 15 minute ride and let it finish. I've only had that once in 76,000 miles. If you are seeing it repeatedly. Take a sunday drive.

The photo in the background on my Edge came from a Horse ride in Bryce Canyon. I take a lot of photos while riding and using them for the back ground screens on my computer. I change them with the seasons. I don't pull the edge out of my truck and bring it in the house very often, So that back ground stays the same for greater time frames.

I think this is the photo I used for the background

Last edited by Painted Horse; 12-22-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

If I buy the CTS monitor for my 2001 6.7 do I need to buy any of the additional sensors? Or is it simply plug and play to monitor the 6.7's EGT?
2011 6.7 F-350 CC SRW 4X4 Lariat FX4 Oxford White w/Adobe Leather - 2.5'' Procomp Leviling Kit - 35'' Toyo Open Country M/T's on 20'' XD Spys - Bushwacker Pocket style Fender Flares - 3.55 E-Locker - Linex spray in bed liner - Clarion NX501 Nav & Multimedia receiver - HornBlasters Train Horns w/ 5 gal tank
Brander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just plug it into the OBDII port under your steering wheel.

Understand that the factory sensors on a 6.7L are several feet downstream in the DPF and SCR parts of the system. You will not see true EGTs like you did with systems where the sensor was installed in the Exhaust manifold in front of the exhaust port. Just realize anything the EDge CTS shows will be 200-300 cooler than what is actually happening in the combustion chamber.

The Edge will accept aditional imputs if you choose to buy and install a Pyro sensor closer to the exhaust port.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

Arrow

Quote:
Just plug it into the OBDII port under your steering wheel.

Understand that the factory sensors on a 6.7L are several feet downstream in the DPF and SCR parts of the system. You will not see true EGTs like you did with systems where the sensor was installed in the Exhaust manifold in front of the exhaust port. Just realize anything the EDge CTS shows will be 200-300 cooler than what is actually happening in the combustion chamber.

The Edge will accept aditional imputs if you choose to buy and install a Pyro sensor closer to the exhaust port.
And speaking of this, the fact that EGT #1 sensor is a bit removed from the turbo, do you have a rule of thumb for what is a good temp to shut the engine down on ? I tend to always wait until EGT #1 is under 400 degrees, especially after towing. But sometimes I just can't wait and shut her down regardless of the temp. I have seen other numbers that are lower throw around out there, but it is a bit impractical to wait that much longer to get under 350 or 325.

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.